How to nurture a youth goalkeeper?

So I'm in the Premiere League and have a 1st team goalie approaching his thirties. He does a good job and is first choice for his country.

A season or two ago I bought a young sixteen year old goalkeeper who my scouts said is a great prospect for the future! Due to me lacking any other decent youth keeper at the time I snapped him up for a tiny fee and stuck him in the under 18's.

Now he is a bit older and no longer able to play for my youth squad. He is my backup keeper and currently plays all of the reserve matches along with a couple of the easier cup and league ties.

I'd quite like to loan him out to get some regular first team experience but no one wants to risk having the youngster as their number one. I'm now a bit worried that he will follow the decline in potential that my previous young goalie went through due to lack of games.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to push a young keeper to improve? I'm able to nurture the outfield players from youngster to first team no problem but seem to always miss out on a trick with the keepers. Help!

So I'm in the Premiere League and have a 1st team goalie approaching his thirties. He does a good job and is first choice for his country.

A season or two ago I bought a young sixteen year old goalkeeper who my scouts said is a great prospect for the future! Due to me lacking any other decent youth keeper at the time I snapped him up for a tiny fee and stuck him in the under 18's.

Now he is a bit older and no longer able to play for my youth squad. He is my backup keeper and currently plays all of the reserve matches along with a couple of the easier cup and league ties.

I'd quite like to loan him out to get some regular first team experience but no one wants to risk having the youngster as their number one. I'm now a bit worried that he will follow the decline in potential that my previous young goalie went through due to lack of games.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to push a young keeper to improve? I'm able to nurture the outfield players from youngster to first team no problem but seem to always miss out on a trick with the keepers. Help!

I've had the same situation but whenever I played the youngster he was very poor, I left him as backup until I checked his coach report and it said the goalkeepers were the same. I started him at the age of 21 and haven't looked back since.

Is the current first choice his tutor? Are you happy with his training? How old is he? Are you still seeing growth?

best way to use him is in preseason, and if your a bigish club use him in cup matches against weaker opposition, and games that are dead rubber for instance if you qualify early from your european group, or win the league early, basically games you know you will win and ones that are pointless

nothing rly.. keepers develop really poorly.. for one or another reason.. 90% of keeper regens will have terrible work rate too..

i had one regen keeper reaching his max pa at age of 21-22 which was quite surprise for me.. he became my first choice.. and italy main keeper at some points , my 2 other keeper regens were sadly nowhere near his rates.. and still strugling.. even if they saw more loans and more play time.. go figure.. and no hiden stats were about the same on all 3 of them..

The keeper you have may not be good enough until he is in his mid 20s, when your first choice is looking at retirement.

In the meantime, keep him in the reserves so he is getting some playing experience. Use him in case of injuries, use him in cup matches and pre season friendlies (you can even set up friendlies during the season in which you can use your entire youth or reserve squad to give them experience). Also, let him go out on 3 month loans to League One or Chamionship clubs (if they come sniffing), but make it so he can't play in cup matches and can be recalled. Tutoring also helps.

The keeper you have may not be good enough until he is in his mid 20s, when your first choice is looking at retirement.

In the meantime, keep him in the reserves so he is getting some playing experience. Use him in case of injuries, use him in cup matches and pre season friendlies (you can even set up friendlies during the season in which you can use your entire youth or reserve squad to give them experience). Also, let him go out on 3 month loans to League One or Chamionship clubs (if they come sniffing), but make it so he can't play in cup matches and can be recalled. Tutoring also helps.

I've been doing this for 2 seasons and it has worked out great for me. I have a 14 year old GK with great stats and I'm looking forward to see him at his best since my first team GK is already 35. I will only play him when he is 18 in cup matches.

Usually i set up the friendlies for the weekends so I can take a look at their game while I'm playing mine :D

The rest of the youth/reserves team has developed well this way, although many of them were sold.

Also, they are always fit in case you need them.

Archived