Team talks 2 important.

I stuggled to get promoted but just managed it after finishing 6th at the playoffs on my 4th attempt, had the strongest team in the league but were inconsistant.

Got to the prem never strenghtend the squad because money was tight and the right players never showed up. Stuggling at the bottom of the league.

Then I read the post about teamtalks and started using it myself. Shot up the table never threw away leads and came from behind so may times. Ended up finishing 7th.

Second season Never strengthened the squad and had most of my strikers missing because of injury for half of the season and missed out on the title by 1 point and won the fa cup. My players are not good but teamtalks made us unbeatable.

So teamtalks are more important than the quality of players in your team. Teamtalks need to be toned down or removed.

They're too important because you previously didn't know how to utilise them, and had success with them? :confused:

Team talks and player motivation are hugely important in football. If you have a great bunch of players and a great tactic, but you can't motivate or inspire your players, you'll go nowhere. Particularly "lesser" clubs do well, not because of just tactics, but on the motivation and inspiration of their manager,

Top managers regularly speak of how important it is to keep your players motivated and make them respect you, with Ferguson in particular recently commenting on the importance of man management. Wenger too stated their importance following Arsenal's inspired turn-around at Liverpool.

Football management is about being able to, fairly obviously, manage your team. It takes more than just tactics to win, and often the motivation of your players can be the difference between success and failure.

They're too important because you previously didn't know how to utilise them and had success wth them? :confused:

Team talks and player motivation are hugely important in football. If you have a great bunch of players and a great tactic, but you can't motivate or inspire your players, you'll go nowhere. Particularly "lesser" clubs do well, not because of just tactics, but on the motivation and inspiration of their manager,

Top managers regularly speak of how important it is to keep your players motivated and make them respect you, with Ferguson in particular recently commenting on the importance of man management. Wenger too stated their importance following Arsenal's inspired turn-around at Liverpool.

Football management is about being able to, fairly obviously, manage your team. It takes more than just tactics to win, and often the motivation of your players can be the difference between success and failure.

Yeah, but surely having better players should win out, not just knowing saying I have faith in you for players having more than 7.3 and I want to see more from you with players less than 6.7

It should, but only if the players are motivated and inspired to play. A player may have great ability, but if he's not motivated or happy then he'll be less likely to produce the performances he's capable of. On the other hand, a player who's perhaps not so technically gifted, if inspired, motivated and confident, could produce a world-class performance.

The fact you have good players may be the difference between 6th and 16th, but it'll take more than that to get to the top.

It should, but only if the players are motivated and inspired to play. A player may have great ability, but if he's not motivated or happy then he'll be less likely to produce the performances he's capable of. On the other hand, a player who's perhaps not so technically gifted, if inspired, motivated and confident, could produce a world-class performance.

The fact you have good players may be the difference between 6th and 16th, but it'll take more than that to get to the top.

But like I said my players were championship quality, I stuggled to get promoted. I was hovering around relegation in the prem after 12 games then I read about team talks and went on an unbeaten run. Finished 7th. Second season I almost went unbeaton but with injurys was playing defenders up front and missed out by one piont with the weakest team in the league.

Teamtalks are more important than player quality.

They aren't more important than it, but they impact how much of the quality may come through. As I've said, motivation can be hugely influential on how well your players perform, and can inspire performances that seemed beyond their abilities. That then breeds confidence and it continues. The best managers aren't neccessarily those with great tactics, but those who can inspire and motivate their players to perform, often seemingly regardless of ability, tactics or opposition.

When big clubs lose out to smaller clubs it's often labelled as a "triumph of tactics" by the media. Most of the time this is plainly and obviously very wide of the mark, with the inspiration and motivation of the players inspiring a performance, and the "tactics" playing second fiddle, often simply being very basic and blindingly obvious.

But like I said my players were championship quality, I stuggled to get promoted. I was hovering around relegation in the prem after 12 games then I read about team talks and went on an unbeaten run. Finished 7th. Second season I almost went unbeaton but with injurys was playing defenders up front and missed out by one piont with the weakest team in the league.

Teamtalks are more important than player quality.

It is not simply teamtalks or player quality that wins you games. It's also tactics, motivation, morale, luck, etc, etc.

A winning team cannot simply be put together in a few seconds. They need to gel and bond or they won't work well together on the pitch.

In defence of the OP, i feel the same way.

Its just my opinion, and i don't want to ruffle any feathers, but essentially i've stopped playing because it really did just become a mechanical process of identifying the proper teamtalk/motivation ploys and go from there.

The whole process of searching for and identifying good staff, creating training schedules, buying youth players, scouting, developing tactics etc.. became cheapened when i could essentially manipulate almost any game with proper press conferences and team talks.

Again, just my opinion, but i wanted to let the OP know that there were others experiencing the same thing.

Its a shame really, the addition of that module (or at least its relative strength), for me, has become a game breaker.

I'm with the OP on this one. Wthe current state of the game I found team talks to be almost like a cheat. Once I found that stickied thread in the tactics forum explaining team talks and motivation the game became way too easy. I can win anything with a mediocre squad, its way too over balanced I feel.

I stopped playing a while ago, it just takes the fun out of the game. I'm hoping Patch 3 fixes things big time, I just want to play a decent 'career' type game :(

I'm with the OP on this one. With the inability to really play a 'career' type game with the current state of the game I also found team talks to be almost like a cheat. Once I found that stickied tread in the tactics forum explaining team talks and motivation the game became way too easy. I can win anything with a mediocre squad, its way too over balanced I feel.

I feel that it's about right, and that the only reason why it may seem easy/too effective is the inability or lack of effectiveness by the AI in regards to it's own team talks and motivational selection. Having said that, there are often times when the AI clearly makes an inspiring team talk. The game presumably does not expect the user to be able to use them 100% effectively, as using said thread/guide may hint towards.

An average team can of course beat a top team if, amongst other factors, motivation is effectively used, but over the course of a season only the very best will be able to use this fully effectively week in week out, and as such other factors (tactics, player ability etc) come into greater effect.

Team talks and motivation as a whole are hugely important in football, and the best managers should be able to effectively analysis the situation and give appropriate feedback or motivation to the team. Using a guide will obviously distort this, but does show the simple fact that team talks are far simpler and more logical than some make out.

While it's true that motivation plays a big part in real life, we have a very limited number of team talk options in the game and they hardly make much sense either to be honest. I read WoIfsong's team talk guide and it is kind of scary what he achieved with a poor team just by focusing on team talks and completely ignoring tactics. Unless Si make team talks much more in depth for FM11, they should tone down it's effect a bit IMO.

Archived