(10.2) Late Goals

I am fed up with this. I am bossing the game all the way up to the 85th minute when suddenly my players become too scared to make a challenge. I am Notts County in my 8th season in the prem and I have signed many good players.

Over the years I have conceded many late goals but quite recently it has been too many. I just played arsenal was 1-0 up and then they equalised a minute later. I didnt mind this. I was then on top of them till the 80th minute and then Arsenal suddenly wake up and my defence just clear the ball needlessly. I have my tactics set to close down more often and yet they ignore this now. What is going on?!

I am starting to notice a pattern as many of these are shots from people that have poor long shots rating.

P.S I do not want to hear it's my tactics

I am fed up with this. I am bossing the game all the way up to the 85th minute when suddenly my players become too scared to make a challenge. I am Notts County in my 8th season in the prem and I have signed many good players.

Over the years I have conceded many late goals but quite recently it has been too many. I just played arsenal was 1-0 up and then they equalised a minute later. I didnt mind this. I was then on top of them till the 80th minute and then Arsenal suddenly wake up and my defence just clear the ball needlessly. I have my tactics set to close down more often and yet they ignore this now. What is going on?!

I am starting to notice a pattern as many of these are shots from people that have poor long shots rating.

Late goals happen consistently irl. Just look at the last two times Man Utd and Man City have played each other.

I know your pain, a last-minute goal cost me the title

Me too :( it's the worst.

But yeah, what has been said here: take off the players that have the worst condition, keep possession etc.

And remember that the opponent will most likely go to a more attacking formation and try to put you under pressure if they're trailing.

I have my tactics set to close down more often and yet they ignore this now. What is going on?!

You're better off doing the opposite. Watch teams who have men behind the ball in real life, it's all about retaining shape and not allowing spaces to open up behind the back line rather than pressing the ball so much.

Hmm.. Try to attack instead of defending. Works for the AI and many people here :thup: You should employ low tempo and time-wasting nevertheless. Of course you can concede with this approach too and people will tell you it's your tactic but still.. give it a thought.

I have often been punishes with late goals. What I do now is replace my AMC with a DMC (Anchorman) and sub off my lowest condition CB for a fresh legs. I also make all my wingbacks/fullbacks defend, not attack or support. This seems to work

was a bit annoyed the other day playing fulham v villa (not in real life) when there was 9 minutes and 40 seconds of added time (3 minutes declared) giving villa just enough time to score the winning goal. you could tell from the set peice that they were going to score. annoying.

Just because you want everyone to tell you it's the game's fault and not yours doesn't make that the truth. It is, of course ,your tactics.

Increasing closing down for your whole team is a bad idea when defending a lead.

You want your AMs and STs to close down more often, harrying the deep lying midfield players into rushing their passes.

You want your more defensive midfielders to sit deep and force the opposition to try and pass through a solid wall of players.

When your midfield sit deep, your defence actually have someone to pass to. Though if they have low composure, hoofing it away is pretty realistic.

A CM with closing down 7 (one above "own area") is invaluable for cutting down on long shots, as they'll sit back toward the edge of the area and prevent AMCs exploiting the space in front of your CBs - if CBs have to come forward to defend this space, a defence-splitting pass is more likely.

However, since you say it's only recently that you've been conceding late, it's most likely that you just have to deal with a complacent attitude in your squad

OR you're just going through an unlucky patch. It happens. A disproportionate number of goals are scored in the last 10 anyway.

A few people I know have complained about late, late goals being scored in matches against them (It happened to one of my mates 4 league games in a row haha) but I can only think of once or twice it's happened to me at Southampton in almost 4 full seasons.

To be honest, it happens more in my favour than against so I personally don't think it's a bug at all, more down to a mixture of tactics/players and luck.

late goals are just a part of the beauty of football, it happens to every1 playing FM..you may have a string of unlucky matches and that's pretty normal..so it's partly down to luck, if not then IT'S YOUR TACTICS :D

ps : tell me how liverpool got knocked out of the champions league this season

Late goals are a fact of fottball and if you leave your formation and tactics intact after going into the lead late in a game, then you will often lose late goals. You need to be proactive and take action well before the last 10 mins, change your tactics, make subs and not sit back and hope for the best.

Late goals do happen, and I can quite live with that. Especially if I'm playing against good opposition.

What I absolutely loathe though is the tendency to concede late goals in games my team has been leading comfortably against weaker opposition.

At a point or another in the season, my team will go through a long spell of 2-1 or 3-2 wins in games they could and should have won 3-0 and 4-0...

It goes like this:

We dominate the game and go 2-0 up. Then somehow the AI team suddenly comes back to life and manage to score one, if not two. All of that while my players are STILL playing fine and with little or no issue of complacency.

I've tried to slow down the tempo, but apparently "Retain Possession" is not what it sounds like, as, even when used with a slower tempo, a deeper defensive line, "Control" mentality, "Pass to Feet" and some fresh legs, my players still manage to lose possession while adventuring forward looking for complicated plays.

A bad mix of AI getting a second wind and the inability of the human team to efficiently run the clock provides for too many late goals, comebacks and other events which clearly go against the flow of the game.

P.S. "it's my tactic" maybe, but when I ask my players to retain possession, basically killing the game by playing piggy in the middle against weaker opposition, I'd expect them to be able to do that.

Without needing to spend 5 minutes to tinker with the tactic...

How difficult is that?

It really happens a lot in FM but I just checked about 40 matches in real life competition here and more than 30% had goals scored after 85th minute, so it's pretty realistic really !

Yesterday I had my coolest match in FM so far (just 3 seasons far though), I am Juve at home playing Sampdoria, 2-2, my left back scored an own goal 2-3 in minute 79, my DM gets red card in reaction to it, I score 3-3 in 91st and 4-3 in 95th minute, these are the thrilling games you play FM for right? :D Of course not cool when it happens against you, but hey...

I've not had a major problem with late goals and don't particularly take much action to prevent them, although i am playing with Liverpool. I'm halfway through the season (19 Premier League games, 2 League Cup games, 6 Champions League games) and i've only conceded 3 goals in the last 10 minutes of matches (+injury time).

Liverpool 2-2 Portsmouth

- 81st minute, equaliser to make it 2-2

Liverpool 3-1 Arsenal

- 85th minute, consolation goal to make it 3-1

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea

- 94th minute, equaliser to make it 1-1.

The only really devastating one was the Chelsea match, and i'd even brought on a 3rd centre back. It made it worse that only 3 minutes were added on.

But yeah, it's not a problem for me. It might be worse for weaker teams, though i'd imagine that is true of real life anyway.

In contrast, i've scored 10 goals from 80 minutes onwards in matches.

Archived