Why did I get a bye in the League cup?

22 out of the 24 Championship clubs playd in the league cup first round.

I didn't.

Is there any reason why not.

I'm 2000/1 to win promotion, so it can't be because I'm good (Chelsea entered at this stage)

I don't know which other team also missed out, but it wasn't any of the other newly promoted teams.

Is it just random - or something else?

I panicked initially, as I thought I'd missed out completely.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know the real rules for this?

First Round

All clubs playing in The Football League (the Football League Championship, Football League One and Football League Two), unless they are competing in the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Cup, enter at this stage and join any Preliminary Round winners. Sometimes (depending on the number of clubs competing in Europe, whether or not they play in The Football League and whether a preliminary round would be an easier way to even up the numbers) it is necessary to give one or more clubs a bye to the second round. The clubs would be those eligible to compete in the First Round who finished highest in the English football league system last season (normally clubs relegated from the FA Premier League).

As you're 1000/1 though, I can't imagine you've just been relegated. icon_confused.gif

All I can find in the official rules is:

4.4 International and Representative matches and Football Association Cup Ties take precedence

over matches in The Cup Competition. Any Club qualifying for a place in a UEFA club

competition, up to a maximum of eight such Clubs, shall be exempt from participating in this

Competition until Round Three. When the remaining number of Clubs entered is other than

64 the Management Committee shall arrange for byes where necessary. No Club shall have

a bye in successive rounds of the Competition.

You're entering at the same stage as CHELSEA? If they are not in Europe they should enter in the second round. If they are they start in the third. Championship clubs start in the first round.

Are you sure you weren't knocked out first round and mistook it for a League match?

Originally posted by backpackant:

You're entering at the same stage as CHELSEA? If they are not in Europe they should enter in the second round. If they are they start in the third. Championship clubs start in the first round.

Are you sure you weren't knocked out first round and mistook it for a League match?

I reckon that's what it is, you probably played a team in the same division as you in the cup, and lost?

Originally posted by hullcitytigers:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

I reckon that's what it is, you probably played a team in the same division as you in the cup, and lost? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm playing Bournmouth in the next round.

Chelsea are in the Championship too, but they came straight back down last year and probably have the best team in the division.

We got knocked out in the first round last year, so i don't think it's past performance in the cup.

Are we going for the game's chosen random championship teams when it should have chosen the teams 18th & 19th in last year's premiership (Wolves and Oldham)

A few questions:

1. Did you reach a cup final?

2. How many European places have been allocated to England?

3. Have any teams outside the Premier League qualified for Europe?

4. Did any Premier League teams enter the League Cup in the first round?

Originally posted by cbarnet12:

A few questions:

1. Did you reach a cup final?

Nope, went out in the first round of both

2. How many European places have been allocated to England?

4, 3 and 2

3. Have any teams outside the Premier League qualified for Europe?

Nope

4. Did any Premier League teams enter the League Cup in the first round?

Nope

Plymouth were the other team to get a bye, they finished 9th in the championship last season.

• 2 weeks later...

Very bizarre.

Got a bye to the seond round of the league cup again.

This time the other championship club also to get a bye was West Ham (5th in championship last year, but they won the League cup last time, and are in europe, so that's fair)

I finished 8th in the championship, but fell out the legue cup at the first time of asking.

Why do I keep missing out?

Do I have friends at the FA who recognise what an incredibly thin squad I have?

• 2 weeks later...

Im playing as Hereford and just got a bye to the 2nd round. Just checked up on the rules and they do give byes if the amount of teams in Europe is more then normal but the teams who get a bye are ment to be the best place team in the league who were due to play in the 1st round. This should be the teams coming down from the Prem if not in Europe.

Quite happy as i got Prem team Derby away. An easy 200k.

Archived