Tactics - Pitch is Short and Work Hard to Find Space

Hi Folks,

I'm Manager at Newcastle and I have recently had my pitch made extra-wide. I have strong wingers and I've done well configuring my squad or adjusting my tactics to suit the pitch.

However, I am still trying to figure out how the heck to adjust my tactics when I hear from the scout that:

"The pitch at so and so is on the short side and in particular, midfielders will have to work hard to find space"

Any advice on what this means exactly, or how one would adjust their tactics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'd disagree. if you are on a small pitch there is less space therefore high pressing tactics are going to be effective. A direct style with alot of flair/creativity would be preferable. If at home you have the space play the tactics you want and impose yourself at home, but when away high tempo, early crosses and counter-attacking is the way to go. Think about it if you play slow tempo yo uare prone to being closed down and without the high amount of space and options you may lose the ball alot with low success of passing. Space will be closed down quickly therefore yo need your attacks to be swift.

It just depends what type of team you have and your opponent. Almost every team I play against sit back with 10 men behind the ball. If I try to play high tempo and direct I almost never create chances. Playing a slow tempo draws them out and that's when players get free. But that's with a big club with creative passers.

Archived