super keeper poll

How well do opposition keepers perform regularly?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. How well do opposition keepers perform regularly?

• Unbelievably well, often man of the match- needs to be changed
    • As they should do according to ability- no problems here
    • Constantly underachieving, make too many mistakes

thanks for the video- looks like a good game. but surely this is a singled out example where both keepers played really well (except for the awful error for the goal!). Generally, goalkeepers handle long shots or aerial shots effectively but one-on-ones usually lead to a goal. this rarely happens in fm- maybe keeps the creativity and interest of a chance filled match whilst making average goalkeepers frustratingly amazing as a way to the score down to a realistic level? Particularly true in fm10 for me.

I've had the odd games where the opposite goalkepper would save 20+ shots on goal including ~10 clear cut chances. But that happens, and only once in a while. I guess when you start seeing things that happen very rarely in real life, it's not because FM is unrealistic but you've been playing too long...

The people who think there is no problem must be playing a different version of the game.

I think its more to do with how SI have tried to tone down the goals more than anything else. It's a mix of the finishing being poor and the keepers pulling off silly saves to keep the scores down.

The number of chances missed by the world best strikers is a joke, its very, very poor.

Whilst I don't think they are as unrealistic as people make out, I do feel it is a bit of an issue. The ratio of MoM opposition keepers against me seems unreasonably high.

I've just looked up the stats, and 10 games (all competitions) into a season, a goalkeeper has been MoM in 5 of these games (mine once, the opposition four times), and one of the non-goalie matches was against a team a couple of divisions down, so I don't know whether to count that or not. This is with world class forwards as well, I should add. Essentially, against opposition in the same league, 4/9 times the opposition keeper has been the MoM, I consider that unrealistically high. I appreciate that it's not an enormous sample size, but it's all I can be bothered to do right now :p

But anyway, I think this debate is a bit unnecessary, SI have said they'll change the defending to stop so many 1v1s via split CBs, and they've also said that the goalies have a bit too much reach in some situations. So I have full faith that 10.3 will be amazing and these will be sorted out.

I should add that I think, away from the defending and goalkeeping surrounding 1v1 situations, 10.2 actually has some really good ME features that I think are a vast improvement on previous versions.

Alternative they could just give us a 'Shoot Huerelho Gomes' action, that man is unbeatable, and I've yet to play him this season, eep

I keep hearing people complaining about the super keepers but in all honesty i have yet to see it in any of my games in 10.2.

I think they generally perform to there ability with the odd game where the keeper plays very well.

As many people have said, it's not a problem of "super keepers".

The bug lies in too many CCC being created, which is balanced by the keepers making too many good saves. If the keepers didn't make these saves, each match would finish 8-6 or such other scores.

Then everyone would be screaming about how unrealistic the game is.

*sighs*

I think there is the obvious problem that Vic above me amongst other have highlighted, that there is too many chances, and it is arguable that therefore 'superkeepers' are in the game.

I disagree with the wording of the question though - 'How well do opposition keepers perform regularly?'

It's not opposition keepers, it's obviously your own as well haha.

I think there is the obvious problem that Vic above me amongst other have highlighted, that there is too many chances, and it is arguable that therefore 'superkeepers' are in the game.

I disagree with the wording of the question though - 'How well do opposition keepers perform regularly?'

It's not opposition keepers, it's obviously your own as well haha.

But the "super keepers" aren't the problem, and neither are they the original bug. They are merely a by-product of too many CCC being created.

But the "super keepers" aren't the problem, and neither are they the original bug. They are merely a by-product of too many CCC being created.

I think what happens is CCC being created the ball gets shot straight at the keeper 90% of the time causing his rating and confidence to go through the roof and letting him block so many shots he normally wouldn't. Fix CCC creation and let a striker miss wide or high.

I think what happens is CCC being created the ball gets shot straight at the keeper 90% of the time causing his rating and confidence to go through the roof and letting him block so many shots he normally wouldn't. Fix CCC creation and let a striker miss wide or high.

That's exactly what's happening. Too many CCC are being created, and the keeper's "super" saves are to counter that problem, and to keep the scores in the sane region.

That's exactly what's happening. Too many CCC are being created, and the keeper's "super" saves are to counter that problem, and to keep the scores in the sane region.

That is not what I am saying though.

Have a match where I have 19 shots, nothing stupidly high. Only 6 long shots and 5 CCC. All 5 CCC end up being shot straight at the keeper which makes the keepers rating go up and his confidence sky high making my other shots that much more unlikely to go in (he makes some great diving saves) ends up being 1-0 only because I had a cracker long shot...

Had a game as England against Brazil and in the first half I give up 6 shots, 3 shots on goal, all long shots and they all scored... Meanwhile my tactics generated good scoring chances and possession, 2 CCC and 9 shots with 7 on goal. My team's morale crumbles by halftime and I can never recover since the team starts playing poorly due to moral of missing chances.

Have a match where I have 19 shots, nothing stupidly high. Only 6 long shots and 5 CCC. All 5 CCC end up being shot straight at the keeper which makes the keepers rating go up and his confidence sky high making my other shots that much more unlikely to go in (he makes some great diving saves) ends up being 1-0 only because I had a cracker long shot...

Had a game as England against Brazil and in the first half I give up 6 shots, 3 shots on goal, all long shots and they all scored... Meanwhile my tactics generated good scoring chances and possession, 2 CCC and 9 shots with 7 on goal. My team's morale crumbles by halftime and I can never recover since the team starts playing poorly due to moral of missing chances.

Okay, I get what you're saying. But the opposition keeper's good confidence and your player's poor confidence is simply a knock on effect from the number of CCC created. Right?

Superkeeper = myth

The APPEARENCE of superkeeper = easily explained. Do a search for a detailed explanation.

In brief: ONE type of chance, something the ME shouldn't allow, is created way too often, forcing the keepers to make more and more of this type of save. ONE type of chance. In all other areas keepers are in no way super. The actual number of goals scored over a season and per-game is very realistic, but the ratio of goals-to-chances is way out. If you are only creating this ONE type of chance your tactics need tweaking.

well 60-40 so far seems to suggest there is a problem with goalkeeping saves. With regards to the poll, please remember that the questions asks about whether or not keepers are overperforming, not questioning the reason for this overperformance. Now, the general concensus seems to be that the reason for this being used is as an effective counter-balance for the numerous chances, thus keeping the scores down. But is this really the best way to do so?

well 60-40 so far seems to suggest there is a problem with goalkeeping saves. With regards to the poll, please remember that the questions asks about whether or not keepers are overperforming, not questioning the reason for this overperformance. Now, the general concensus seems to be that the reason for this being used is as an effective counter-balance for the numerous chances, thus keeping the scores down. But is this really the best way to do so?

No it doesn't, it simply suggests that 60% are not aware of what the problem is or how it is caused - They only see the end result.

This is exactly what I see happening. Once a keeper's rating hits about 7, you're looking at a "superkeeper" style simulation.

I will say, though, that I've only recently started encountering the problem; when I was managing Grasshoppers, I never really saw it, but now that I'm at Valencia (with mostly the same tactic) it's an every-game kind of situation.

this reply only reflects badly on you... plus, this intriguing topic is one based on getting widespread data not my own personal experiences.

the fact of the matter is people are in near total agreement that too many chances are being saved by keepers- they have chosen option B on the basis of reasoning (to keep the score down) not disagreement. Im now beginning to question whether this is a good method/counter balance or something better, and more realistic, should be put into the next patch/ version of the game (e.g. better defending).

this reply only reflects badly on you... plus, this intriguing topic is one based on getting widespread data not my own personal experiences.

the fact of the matter is people are in near total agreement that too many chances are being saved by keepers- they have chosen option B on the basis of reasoning (to keep the score down) not disagreement. Im now beginning to question whether this is a good method/counter balance or something better, and more realistic, should be put into the next patch/ version of the game (e.g. better defending).

The fact is that SI have stated there is a problem with some parts of the defending and they will be looking to improve it in the next patch which makes this thread/discussion irrelevant.

The fact is that SI have stated there is a problem with some parts of the defending and they will be looking to improve it in the next patch which makes this thread/discussion irrelevant.

Please see aim of first post- collecting numerical data to see how widespread the problem. People who experience any problem appear on forum and this leads some people to think its a major problem- because those who dont reply have had no issue but no one sees this. This POLL gives us figures and so far the problem seems considerable.

Please see aim of first post- collecting numerical data to see how widespread the problem. People who experience any problem appear on forum and this leads some people to think its a major problem- because those who dont reply have had no issue but no one sees this. This POLL gives us figures and so far the problem seems considerable.

1) SI already know there is a problem.

2) The problem exists in every FM10 that has been sold/made.

3) Some people are experiencing it more than others due to the tactics they are using.

I just don't understand what you trying to achieve with this poll/thread, its just covering old ground.

lol @ the way nobody has chosen the last option, obviously something must be wrong (though I voted the middle option myself)

hehe- I would love to know the 2 people that voted for that option now. It was put in just in case there was some very different experiences- it was going to be 3: "Constantly underachieving- might as well have a helium balloon with a face drawn on it in goal" but I thought I'd keep it professional. :D

IMO most people who say there are no problems with superkeepers or freekicks probably don't watch the game in full or even extended.

Tbf, the majority of users only watch the key highlights. I'm not saying that's the right way to go, nor that it's wrong, but you've got to take into account that many people don't have the time to watch every game in full.

---

Woot! 1250th post! :D

Archived