64 Bit Windows 7 and FM2010

I just searched for "64 bit" plus several variations with "" and + but it returned no threads. I know that's not right because I've seen mention of this but not read them thoroughly. Since I am about to get Win7 I need some advice.

Basically, I've seen threads complaining FM2010 doesn't support 64 bit (or something). Does that mean FM2010 runs badly on 64-bit or just that it doesn't take into account my whole memory, meaning its performance is the same on Vista as it is on Win7?

Apologies for the really boring post.

I just searched for "64 bit" plus several variations with "" and + but it returned no threads. I know that's not right because I've seen mention of this but not read them thoroughly. Since I am about to get Win7 I need some advice.

Basically, I've seen threads complaining FM2010 doesn't support 64 bit (or something). Does that mean FM2010 runs badly on 64-bit or just that it doesn't take into account my whole memory, meaning its performance is the same on Vista as it is on Win7?

Apologies for the really boring post.

I run 64-bit Win7 on my Dell Studio XPS and FM 2010 has run for months without any problems.

I cant remember where I saw it or I would post a link but I remember seeing a post from a member of the si staff saying something like because fm is a 32 bit application it can only use 2gb ram. So I guess having loads of ram in a 64 bit system wont help until they make fm 64bit compatible.

I know it's not Win7, but I've been running FM2010 on Vista 64bit without any problems.

I cant remember where I saw it or I would post a link but I remember seeing a post from a member of the si staff saying something like because fm is a 32 bit application it can only use 2gb ram. So I guess having loads of ram in a 64 bit system wont help until they make fm 64bit compatible.

I'm not a programmer, but I believe 32-bit applications can use up to 4GB memory in 64bit Windows if they have a certain switch enabled in the image header.

I have 4 gigs of ram and a running 64 bit windows 7 and no matter how low I set the graphics, they stutter throughout each game. I've updated my graphics card drivers, etc but to no avail. The demo ran great before I upgraded for 34 bit vista.

FM will only use a maximum of 2GB memory, I believe. It works perfectly fine on 64 bit systems though.

I have 64-bit Win7 with 3Gb RAM. What you're saying is that this system isn't using it's full power to run FM (ie wasting 1Gb RAM)? Is there any way I can maximize it?

That extra Gb of RAM is another few countries ffs :mad:

Thanks everyone. I think I can upgrade with confidence now. I had something explained to me about Vista 32-bit. Basically, Vista is very memory hungry but can only see 3GB RAM and uses a lot of that to remain stable and run its background processes. If you are running a programme that requires 2GB or more, this is when programmes often crash. I seem to remember FM10's benchmark being around 1.7GB, so if you are using 1.4GB of RAM and FM10's usage hits 1.7GB that's when you'll get a memory freeze and/or a crash.

Bottom line re crashes for all programmes is that it seems to be dependent on a combination of a) how much memory your PC is running, b) how much memory the programme takes up, and c) how much memory your background processes use.

So running McAfee in the background whilst having 6 internet pages open whilst listening to RealPlayer whilst conversing on MSM whilst playing FM will all have a big impact on crashes.

So from what I gather, 4GB on a 32-bit machine IS wasting 1GB Ram.

(BTW, since patch 10.2 my FM crashes only once every 8 hours or so instead of every couple of hours on 10.1, but my main programme issue was something else entirely).

Anyway, thanks again all.

If FM is large address aware then it can use up to 4GB on 64-bit Windows and 3GB on 32-bit Windows only if /3GB switch is enabled. Otherwise just 2GB on 32-bit Windows.

If FM were ever developed into a 64-bit application, then it could theoretically use up to 7-8TB of memory in 64-bit Windows.

If FM is large address aware then it can use up to 4GB on 64-bit Windows and 3GB on 32-bit Windows only if /3GB switch is enabled. Otherwise just 2GB on 32-bit Windows.

If FM were ever developed into a 64-bit application, then it could theoretically use up to 7-8TB of memory in 64-bit Windows.

So if i upgrade my laptop to 4 gb FM will use only 3?I have 32-bit Windows i think :D

I have 4 gigs of ram and a running 64 bit windows 7 and no matter how low I set the graphics, they stutter throughout each game. I've updated my graphics card drivers, etc but to no avail. The demo ran great before I upgraded for 34 bit vista.

I have the exact same problem. 3D matches running smoothly on my computer with Vista 32 bit. After upgradring to Win 7 64, the players stutter and the match experience is not good.

I have installed latest graphic card driver from Nvida 8600GT (driver is 195 editon I think).

Does anyone have a solution to fix this ?, thanks in advance...

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Upping as I have the same problems as #7 above.

Game was running fine on Windows XP this morning, following an upgrade to Windows 7 64bit, the graphics are stuttery as anything.

Tried downloading the latest (64bit) drivers - Nothing.

Running Core2Duo E6750 (2*2.66Ghz), 2 Gb RAM, Radeon X1950Pro graphics card. Got a new shiny HD5770 coming in the next couple of days which will hopefully improve things, but the graphics were as smooth as anything before so it's confusing why it's now like watching iPlayer on a 14k modem.

Archived