10.3 can't come soon enough.

For the first time in about 5 years, FM has now become completely unplayable since upgrading to 10.2. 10.1 was bearable despite the long shots etc because it ended up working out roughly for each side.

Since downloading 10.2, having been unable to play the game for the past month or so what has happened?

Paying as Milan, 6 injuries in one match?? 15 over a period of 5 matches?

Strikers missing the simplest of chances, it seems that if you use 'inside forwards' and set them up to run with the ball while cutting inside or through balls often the number of clear cut chances created is completely ridiculous in comparison to the number of goals scored. 0 goals from 10 clear cut chances? That's good going.

Hopefully, FM 10 can be sorted out to the standards of 09 when fully patched, which was a tremendous game.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its weird because I've honestly never seen the sort of issues mentioned in this thread and others like it.

I'm not trying to say that they're not happening, but its certainly weird that (even unintentionally) I've not been able to recreate them.

I do think that 'completely unplayable' is a tad over the top though.

Doesnt all the above happen in real life management any way? United were without any defenders for at least 2 games of the season, i believe carrick played centre back. Also Arsenal have only just managed to get some strikers back fit.

Saying a game is unplayable because your having a bit of bad luck is a tad childish!

also every striker always miss easy chances but the more you create the more you will skill.... just create more chances!!!

Agree with you completely. I gave up playing the game after two days of it coming out because of the endless bugs and backgrounds issue.

I came back for 10.2 - which is unplayable due to the reasons mentioned above.

Feel like I've been waiting for this game for ages now, hope 10.3 makes the game playable because it's a joke at the moment. If 10.3 is as bad as 10.2 the I'm giving up (sadly) on the FM series and growing up!

Well when you continually have players playing with 60% conditon after 30 minutes and you have already made two substitutions because of injuries where the players can't carry on, and then for it to start happening match after match resulting in having half a first team squad available makes it pretty impossible to play in my opinion.

It's very very odd that some people are getting these problems and some are not. Just downloaded 10.2 for a network game I was playing and have seen very similar things happen, I guess the way I set my team up perhaps make the game seem worse than it is.

Certainl reverting back to 10.1.

Craiggore: Did United have six injuries in one game?Meaning that I had to resort to having 3 men with 40-50% condition which then resulted in a 4-0 loss.

I've never moaned about any previous FM's because despite any frustrations with the game it has seemed to affect both the AI and the human player.

Create more chances? I've continued with the game for a bit longer, now scored 1 goal in the past 5 and am sitting 19th in Serie A. Drew 0-0 with Bologna who had one shot, I had 21, 9 clear cut and no goals. To me it looks like a problem with far too many CCC being created, resulting in a very low chance conversion rate to level it out.

I can't play it either which is ****ing me off. but every game I play is based around a solid narrow defence with two **** off tall centre halves in order to prevent through balls and to defend crosses into the box, with a good passing game (alot like roy hodgson I guess). however when the game is so completely ballsed when it comes to defending around the box and through balls behind the defence, I just can't stand it. Really disappointed with this game engine. everything else is almost spot on to be honest (apart from players now being TOO easy to be sold but I guess that is an improvement on not being able to sell them at all) but the match engine is just so poor

Craiggore: Did United have six injuries in one game?Meaning that I had to resort to having 3 men with 40-50% condition which then resulted in a 4-0 loss.

Players get injured all the time. Very rarely do a team not come out of a match with at least a few players injured. Most however recover in a few days or play the next game through the pain barrier and/or carrying the injury. How many of the 6 were able to play in your next game? 6 injuries is unfortunate, but how many were serious, and how many were just bruises, cuts, sprains etc? What was the condition of the players going into the game? What's their training like? How much strain does your tactic put on their fitness? And so on..

Man Utd, as has been given as an example, had 12 players out iirc, and as a result their performances suffered. Players had to play while not fully fit, and others out of position. Arsenal, another example, have had two such crisis in recent years, and in the last few weeks both Arshavin and Fabregas have played while carrying injuries that if perhaps another player had, or the injury crisis wasn't so bad, they'd be allowed more time to recover from..

Well with Milan they have no out an out widemen so I play 4-1-2-1-2 as they do in real life relying on through balls from Pirlo and Ronny to help free up Pato with the full backs bombing on to provide support out wide. The number of times the AI defence is split open by diagonal through balls from a roaming Ronny is shambolic. But they get away with it becuase my strikers might as well be Tomasz Frankowski and Leon Clarke.

Due to the very few transfers in January so far, I don't think 10.3 is going to be that bad!

I just hate it when .3 patchs have all the transfers from January at the start of the season :(

Well with Milan they have no out an out widemen so I play 4-1-2-1-2 as they do in real life relying on through balls from Pirlo and Ronny to help free up Pato with the full backs bombing on to provide support out wide. The number of times the AI defence is split open by diagonal through balls from a roaming Ronny is shambolic. But they get away with it becuase my strikers might as well be Tomasz Frankowski and Leon Clarke.

There's a known issue with through balls between DC partnerships being too effective and as a compromise chances created as a result are more likely missed. I understand on good authority that this is a priority to be fixed in the 10.3 patch.

Absolutely loving this version at the minute. Not even sure if I will bother patching.

If the patch doesnt make transfers better I might aswell stick with 10.2.

Hershie, of course I understand players get injured all the time but for it to happen continually over a series of games is pretty strange.

I rely on my fullbacks to bomb on but they are not getting injured, it's been my 3 central midfielders virtually every game. They are getting knocks from which they are not recovering from so are then unavailable for the next game and then they are forced to come off the bench because the other midfielders are getting serious knocks or unrecoverable injuries.

I try to not start anybody under 95%, and definitely not under 90% unless I am forced too through more injuries.

Oh well, it's only a game. As I said, I'll go back to 10.1 for a short fix before 10.3 comes out which has generally sorted out the game in the last few years.

Due to the very few transfers in January so far, I don't think 10.3 is going to be that bad!

I just hate it when .3 patchs have all the transfers from January at the start of the season :(

Pretty sure with 10.2 you can still choose the original 10.0 database when starting a new game, can't see it being any different for 10.3

Hershie, of course I understand players get injured all the time but for it to happen continually over a series of games is pretty strange.

I rely on my fullbacks to bomb on but they are not getting injured, it's been my 3 central midfielders virtually every game. They are getting knocks from which they are not recovering from so are then unavailable for the next game and then they are forced to come off the bench because the other midfielders are getting serious knocks or unrecoverable injuries.

I try to not start anybody under 95%, and definitely not under 90% unless I am forced too through more injuries.

Oh well, it's only a game. As I said, I'll go back to 10.1 for a short fix before 10.3 comes out which has generally sorted out the game in the last few years.

If anything I'd say it was strange that it only happened occasionally. Following Arsenal in particular I can't remember the last time they went a match without atleast one player getting injured. :eek: Midfielders generally get injured the most, with strikers not far behind.

Are they getting strains/sprains/tears, or bruises and other impact injuries?

I have spent many seasons finally getting my team to play how I want them and I don't really want some patch to come along and make my tactics completly useless and have to start again.

It would be nice to have all the improvements of the patch but without it screwing my tactics.

They seems like muscle pulls/strains resulting in 2-3 weeks out everytime.

On all FM games I've had players get knocks, I'll leave them like 10 mins to see if their condition improves which about half the time it does which is about right, my main niggle is just that these players get a knock and don't seem to recover and it's happening virtually every game. Strikers seem to be the ones that get the red cross and centre backs the green cross where as the midfielders are getting big condition drops.

If they're strains then perhaps the players are being asked to do too much or cover too much ground? If they're not recovering then it might suggest that they aren't being allowed any time to relax or ease off for a few minutes. Reduce closing down perhaps?

For the first time in about 5 years, FM has now become completely unplayable since upgrading to 10.2. 10.1 was bearable despite the long shots etc because it ended up working out roughly for each side.

Since downloading 10.2, having been unable to play the game for the past month or so what has happened?

Paying as Milan, 6 injuries in one match?? 15 over a period of 5 matches?

Strikers missing the simplest of chances, it seems that if you use 'inside forwards' and set them up to run with the ball while cutting inside or through balls often the number of clear cut chances created is completely ridiculous in comparison to the number of goals scored. 0 goals from 10 clear cut chances? That's good going.

Hopefully, FM 10 can be sorted out to the standards of 09 when fully patched, which was a tremendous game.

That's because nothing much has really changed has it?

Ok the ME changes periodically and they can't get that bloody thing right anyway so no need to even mention it. I mean the EPL is famed for the speed of it's game, in FM it is so slow it is unbelievable. I recently switched back to FM07 which seemed to be like lightening in comparison. (you should od the test if you don't believe me, it's crazy how fast FM07 is, but thats how it should be IMO)

The interface changes pretty much every year now but so what? That is the most basic thing to change anyway and am I really that bothered how it looks because the amount of skins available give me lots of aftermarket options. Also almost all the "new" stuff incorporated in to the new layout has always been there. It's nothing new, it is just easier to see. Things such as the way a scout reports or certain pieces of information which are now plain to see and made out to be new have always been there!

The things which we actually ask for, more choices on press conferences, more choice on team talks, the chance to interact with players and staff on a more personal level hasn't come in to the game at all. We still have the same five or six options to choose from on team talks as we did 4 years ago for god sake!

Why everyone is still so surprised is beyond me, as I said, nothing changes, it is just dressed up all nicely every year and the information is just displayed differently to make users think we are getting more. Actually we are getting the same year after year, apart from a worse ME that is :D

Keep it up SI! Good work. :thup:

• Administrators

As we've said a few times elsewhere, the player condition/injuries is unlikely to be tweaked for 10.3, simply put at the current moment in time, comparing against real life statistics there are still too few injuries in the game. I would very much suggest keeping an eye on your formation and not running your players into the ground. Also remember if a player takes a knock that doesn't result in a green or red injury, that doesn't mean his game is over, his condition can rise back up.

Here's something that doesn't make a lot of sense to me:

I started a new game as Lazio. In my tactics, my tackling was set to "more cautious". My team were earning red cards about every third game and yellow cards galore on top of that. When I switched to "more aggressive", my huge influx of cards stopped. I dunno if it was just my players being stupid or whatnot, but this doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Here's something that doesn't make a lot of sense to me:

I started a new game as Lazio. In my tactics, my tackling was set to "more cautious". My team were earning red cards about every third game and yellow cards galore on top of that. When I switched to "more aggressive", my huge influx of cards stopped. I dunno if it was just my players being stupid or whatnot, but this doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Red cards are not just caused by how aggressive they tackle, it could be that players are having to do 2 much chasing and the opposition is getting past them too often forcing the players to make tackles from behind or late rash tackles.

As we've said a few times elsewhere, the player condition/injuries is unlikely to be tweaked for 10.3, simply put at the current moment in time, comparing against real life statistics there are still too few injuries in the game. I would very much suggest keeping an eye on your formation and not running your players into the ground. Also remember if a player takes a knock that doesn't result in a green or red injury, that doesn't mean his game is over, his condition can rise back up.

For me the injurys seem about right. If the patch is going to increase the amount I'm definately sticking with 10.2.

Good to know that the "injury bug" wont be tweaked since it's not a bug but a reality. Actually this tweak is what i like most about the latest patch, since now there is a reason to have a deep squad.

it isnt unplayable just very annoying my tatic you will have 20 odd shots just over half on target about 5 clear cut chances some games u will score 4 or 5 but some games u score 1 seem as the keeper thinks its good to save every single thing or your strikers hits a 1 on 1 at the keeper or over the bar

Hmm, I wonder if the player condition not being tweaked for 10.3 means the distance that players cover during a match will stay the same? Because it's kind of, really high and unrealistic at the moment.

My main issue with 10.2 are one on ones. How it doesn't happen to some people I don't know but I'm in 2024 and it's the same thing every season, every game. If they manage to fix that for 10.3 I'll be very impressed because the solution is far more complicated than simply making strikers score a realistic number of their clear cut chances.

Hmm, I wonder if the player condition not being tweaked for 10.3 means the distance that players cover during a match will stay the same? Because it's kind of, really high and unrealistic at the moment.

Do you have proof to back that up?

I haven't had huge trouble with injuries, maybe a little annoyed by the players condition dropping so dramatically.

What bugs me most is the infamous CCC problem. It's just so terrible to watch. I tell you, I would be happy with 10.3 if they just took the CCC counter away.

Do you have proof to back that up?

Well yes. Someone recently posted the distance covered stats for the Premiership where Gerrard was the player that covered the most ground, 11.6km on average I think. And yet in my game, the first placed player has covered 13.4km on average and everyone in top 100 has covered at least 12km. Not a huge problem or anything as you can't see that when watching highlights but for some reason they went from too litlle in 10.1 to way too much in 10.2.

Well yes. Someone recently posted the distance covered stats for the Premiership where Gerrard was the player that covered the most ground, 11.6km on average I think. And yet in my game, the first placed player has covered 13.4km on average and everyone in top 100 has covered at least 12km. Not a huge problem or anything as you can't see that when watching highlights but for some reason they went from too litlle in 10.1 to way too much in 10.2.

Fair enough. I don't really pay attention to it, but that seems a little too high. :)

Edit: my winger ML and MR are averaging 13.2/90 minutes. About a third of my squad is averaging mroe than Gerrard.

The only issue i have with the latest FM is the fairly steep learning curve involved with having to consistently tinker with tactics, the wrong move and the ME can be pretty unforgiving.

The game itself seems to be becoming more niche, learning more towards the tactically adept over the casual footy fan. I reckon within a couple more iterations of the game we will be seeing some form of difficulty level introduced, so that those who want a more arcade style "dip in and out" game can still enjoy it whilst also catering to the hardcore tac fans.

however, bring in a way of maintaining consistency better in 10.3 and i will be a happy bunny. :)

I have spent many seasons finally getting my team to play how I want them and I don't really want some patch to come along and make my tactics completly useless and have to start again.

It would be nice to have all the improvements of the patch but without it screwing my tactics.

Agreed. :thup:

The only issue i have with the latest FM is the fairly steep learning curve involved with having to consistently tinker with tactics, the wrong move and the ME can be pretty unforgiving.

The game itself seems to be becoming more niche, learning more towards the tactically adept over the casual footy fan. I reckon within a couple more iterations of the game we will be seeing some form of difficulty level introduced, so that those who want a more arcade style "dip in and out" game can still enjoy it whilst also catering to the hardcore tac fans.

however, bring in a way of maintaining consistency better in 10.3 and i will be a happy bunny. :)

I totally agree with you. It is becoming more about being able to create a tactic than the game as a whole.

Trouble is, creating a winning tactic is nothing like in real life. So basically you are trying to create a macro to make a piece of software work successfully!

The enjoyment is being drained from the game year after year. I really don't want to watch every second of every game just in case I have to tweak my tactics to ensure I close out a game etc etc....

I totally agree with you. It is becoming more about being able to create a tactic than the game as a whole.

Trouble is, creating a winning tactic is nothing like in real life. So basically you are trying to create a macro to make a piece of software work successfully!

The enjoyment is being drained from the game year after year. I really don't want to watch every second of every game just in case I have to tweak my tactics to ensure I close out a game etc etc....

You are spot on m8 with everything you say, the games a joke.

Don't think he said that actually...

No i did numpty.

Archived