How come the game slows down the further in you get?

As you progress in the game, more data is created (players, staff, historic match results). That actually makes it slower as the seasons pass by

I would recommend next time to load less leagues in order to have a decent game speed

I think as well as the players it is also all the stats, the histories, etc. That is a whole ream of data on top of what the game already loads and therefore over time, like any application, it will become a bigger size and you may see it affecting load times.

It was a game killer in older fms. Starts off great then crawls to a halt after 5 or seasons or so.

But I'm amazed the performance my computer is giving on this version, I went a little overboard with the leauges at the start and it still runs just as fast as it did when I started 14 seasons ago.

in old versions FM really slowed down after some time. But i was in my ninth season with leeds and got a little bored. Started another save and the speed of the game is about the same. So i think its on unless you want to play for forty years like some people do...

Archived