Oh, spank me missus! I downloaded somebody else's tactics and now I feel all dirty..

I've been playing CM/FM since the early 90's on the Amiga. Had pretty good success, top divisions, and lower divisions - I conquered them all! I haven't bought the last few versions due to the fun factor disappearing, tactics became too fiddly and annoying. But then I played this years demo and with the new tactics creator, I was hooked! Welcome back, old buddy - I don't need conversation with my partner or the children, all I need is my computer!

I chose Newcastle and was promptly sacked after 18 months. Could never get the players to develop good understanding, tactics, though simple to set up seemed confusing to what was working and what wasn't - I felt totally out of control. I fully admit I’m a commentary only man. I then got a job in the top tier of Spanish football - despite my sacking at Newcastle I went up a division (to Getafe). Same sort of thing, improved slightly due to concentrating on buying Spanish players (seemed to help) but tactics the same, felt out of control. Qualified for Europe twice and next season had bad start, got the boot after huge Spanish Cup loss. Same thing happened again - got a better job, this time at Lazio!

2 full seasons at Lazio and we finish top half/mid table both times. Tactics still a mystery to me. The last pre-season I decided to tentatively download somebody else's tactic and see how I got on. In the description I realised for the first time that you can use touchline shouts on commentary! I hadn't realised this beforehand as I’d never gone to either the 3d view or the classic match view. I knew about the shouts obviously, but assumed (wrongly) that they weren’t applicable for commentary only.

Suddenly after 15 games I’m top after only losing 1 game and dominating all and sundry in games including my closest rivals! So I’m happy - or am I? I feel dirty and inadequate, like I’ve just persuaded an 18 old year stunner to sleep with me but have no intention of ever seeing her again. Yes, I’m happy and fulfilled, but don't feel too good about myself! Maybe I need therapy - or just discipline?

Oh spank me!!!!

Good read that. :thup:

I can’t remember the last time I used somebody else’s tactics, must have been at least 5-6 years ago. And that’s because getting all these amazing results (imo, at least) is fun for about a minute and a half, but I found I tired of it very quickly. It’s not as rewarding as making your own tactics. I may be crap at it, but at least it’s my crap.

So I won’t be spanking you. Imminent boredom will be its own penitence, I believe.

I make my own tactics and try other peoples.

It's fun to look at different players ideas and tactics, in turn, expanding on your own. I had some very successful tactics of my own that I just got bored of, so I tried some other tactics and it was interesting to see how i could improve them and exchange ideas.

Each to their own. It's all part of the fun for me.

Archived