Increasingly odd purchases by AI

Not sure whether this has been posted before, but I didn't know what to search for so here goes:

Has anyone noticed the inexplicable purchases that most teams seem to make once you get two-three seasons into the game? It's usually the bigger teams that do this, and the players in question are generally unused and released at the end of their contract.

For example, Liverpool bought Johan Elmander for £1m in January, despite his contract expiring in that summer. They proceded to play him precisely zero times, then released him in the summer.

Another example: Brian Stock, of Doncaster, went from League 1 to Olympique Lyonnais for £2m, played three games and was released at the end of his three year contract.

Again, Liverpool bought Tal Ben Haim for £8.25m in the summer, he started two games, then they didn't give him a squad number, and he's inelegible for any more games until January.

This isn't a rant or a complaint, I just thought it might need highlighting in case it's a known issue and can be rectified. For an otherwise brilliant game, this little problem sometimes ruins the realism. Does make me laugh sometimes though, makes European qualification easier!

I've noticed Real Madrid do this a lot, as will Barcelona in my game. They'll buy a player for 10-30m (euros) and then the player will just happily sit on the bench for a number of years, hardly playing at all (if at all). Seems like a bug to me.

i think they buy them for their experience to tutor youngesters, as a solid (can' go wrong) backup for their team; or maybe to boost player morale start a new season.

coaching real madrid, i have 150m euro to spend starting my third season and i simply don't know what to spend it on, since i'm happy with my current team. maybe the AI feels the urge to spend it even if its not the best of deals (whats 1m when you have 150m to spend on unnecessary reinforcements)?

To be fair, Chris Smalling going to Manchester United would have been ridiculed only two months ago. I guess transfers that come across as odd do happen.

However, it is a problem in FM and it only gets worse when the regens start coming in.

yeah it is very strange Ai transfers. but this must be a hard problem to fix, any ideas how to do it?

To be fair, Chris Smalling going to Manchester United would have been ridiculed only two months ago. I guess transfers that come across as odd do happen.

However, it is a problem in FM and it only gets worse when the regens start coming in.

not from anyone who's seen him play

its one of those things that spoils long term games

when the top teams effectively commit finanical suicide by signing aging players for £15m plus in consecutive sesons, then your own shrewd signings and success all seems a bit hollow

i have to totally agree. the players they go for seem a bit random to me. i was looking yesterday and apart from those who had retired, all the other top players were still at the clubs they started with. im sure a few would of moved inside 6 years

Archived