England and Fabio Capello

Playing in my first season with Chester City a news item pop up saying Capello has been sacked from his post as England manager. I check the World Cup qualifying tables and England have finished 5th in the group and so out of the 2010 World Cup.

So imagine my amazement when into the second season and the 2010 World Cup is under way and I find England taking part with none other than Capello in charge.

I presume that the game generates the results for Englands qualifiers that have come before the start of the 09/10 season but it appears to go pear shaped from there.

Can someone explain??

• SI Staff
But England are in the World Cup after finishing outside the qualify places.

Is possibly because of this:

The European qualification games started in August 2008 after Euro 2008.[5] Eight groups of six teams and one group of five contested the European qualifying competition. As a result, the nine group-winners qualified directly, while the best eight of the nine second-placed teams contested home and away play-off matches for the remaining four places.[6] In determining the best eight second-placed teams, the results against teams finishing last in the six-team groups were not counted for consistency between the five- and six-team groups.

Thus they might have qualified through the play-off system?

• 2 weeks later...

In the last World Cup in my game (2018?) England were not involved in the qualifying at all, which I was aware as seven or eight of my players are generally in their first 11, so while all my other players were playing a dozen qualifying matches, they would only participate in the odd friendly. I was quite surprised once the WC came around that they were in there. They weren't the holders, so no idea how they got there.

In the last World Cup in my game (2018?) England were not involved in the qualifying at all, which I was aware as seven or eight of my players are generally in their first 11, so while all my other players were playing a dozen qualifying matches, they would only participate in the odd friendly. I was quite surprised once the WC came around that they were in there. They weren't the holders, so no idea how they got there.

Mayby they where the host nation ? :confused:

Archived