Financial Model

I'm thinking it's about time a club was actually in true danger if it goes into administration. Currently it can sit in admin for years and years with no sign of a takeover or any other rescue attempts. This isn't very realistic, is it not possible for a club to get 'wound up' by being kicked out of the division its in and possibly be replaced by a new team, AFC Wimbledon style.

I suggested this a little while ago, when a team is so close to going bust they have to reform in a lower league.

But all I got back was about licensing issues, teams can't go bust, even though my suggestion was them to reform in the lower leagues!

AFC Wimbledon haven't replaced the old Wimbledon - MK Dons.

Rather, the old Wimbledon relocated and changed their name to MK Dons, and a new team formed at around the same time called AFC Wimbledon. AFC Wimbledon are not about as a direct relation to any financial problems MK Dons/Wimbledon had, rather as a result of how disaffected their fans were.

I think these occurances are so rare that they should not be in the game. In terms of teams going bust and reforming, I can think of only two examples, and that is Fiorentina a few years ago and Gretna a little more recently. I'm possibly missing one or two obvious examples, but on the whole it's a pretty rare event.

Far more frequent is clubs hitting massive financial problems and being relegated. You've only got to look at the likes of Pompey, Southampton, Luton, Boston United, etc, et al to see how often this happens. Bradford was mismanaged and plummeted from the Premier League to League Two in no time. So I agree the financial model needs massively updating. But I see no need to factor in clubs actually going bust. I think we're coming close to seeing a professional English team going bust, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't happened yet.

AFC Wimbledon haven't replaced the old Wimbledon - MK Dons.

Rather, the old Wimbledon relocated and changed their name to MK Dons, and a new team formed at around the same time called AFC Wimbledon. AFC Wimbledon are not about as a direct relation to any financial problems MK Dons/Wimbledon had, rather as a result of how disaffected their fans were.

I think these occurances are so rare that they should not be in the game. In terms of teams going bust and reforming, I can think of only two examples, and that is Fiorentina a few years ago and Gretna a little more recently. I'm possibly missing one or two obvious examples, but on the whole it's a pretty rare event.

Far more frequent is clubs hitting massive financial problems and being relegated. You've only got to look at the likes of Pompey, Southampton, Luton, Boston United, etc, et al to see how often this happens. Bradford was mismanaged and plummeted from the Premier League to League Two in no time. So I agree the financial model needs massively updating. But I see no need to factor in clubs actually going bust. I think we're coming close to seeing a professional English team going bust, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't happened yet.

MK Dons aren't Wimbledon - they've said that much themselves. They are considered by most to be a new team who bought/usurped Wimbledon's league place. I agree with extra demotions etc - didn't Swindon get booted out of the Prem straight down to Div 2?

MK Dons aren't Wimbledon - they've said that much themselves. They are considered by most to be a new team who bought/usurped Wimbledon's league place. I agree with extra demotions etc - didn't Swindon get booted out of the Prem straight down to Div 2?

Aldershot Town was reformed in 1992 after the original football league club went out of existence. Aldershot Town started out life in Ryman League 3.

Whoops - you're right; I know they don't hold the FA Cup trophy anymore. But the players at the time who didn't leave had their contracts transferred to MK Dons afaik, so it's at least a semblance of continuity.

Swindon were relegated twice in succession, and didn't have to reform. I'll assume the Aldershot example is accurate, but the point remains that the instances are extremely rare. That says, I do think the OP is right that the financial model could be completely reworked. It's difficult though - football finances are shrouded in mystery to those of us peons who merely follow the game, rather than make money out of it.

i suppose teams cant go bust on the game for obvious reasons and theres not a lot we can do about it. i have seen a couple of clubs plummet on my game tho. Bolton and Deportivo have both been relegated 2 seasons on the bounce, went into administration and lost their best players. so it does happen on the game.

in the 1st few seasons hardly any clubs went into administration on my game but as time has worn on more i have noticed differences. for example i look on the clubs financial status and more clubs are 'insecure' every season. certainly very few clubs on the game, if any, make a profit in a financial year.

Am I right in saying that MK Dons still believe they are the club that won the FA Cup in 88 and not AFC Wimbledon.

'The club was relaunched under its current name on 21 June 2004, nine months after the then Wimbledon F.C. moved to Milton Keynes. Milton Keynes Dons is legally a continuation of Wimbledon F.C. However, after negotiation with the Football Supporters Federation, the club agreed to entrust the trophies and memorabilia of Wimbledon F.C. to the London Borough of Merton and to make no claims to the history of Wimbledon F.C. thereafter.[1] This step was taken in part to ensure the recognition of the Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association by the Football Supporters Federation who had previously boycotted them.'

Archived