Swan songs & Sentimental moments

After ignoring him for the entirety of my year-long reign as Nigeria manager, I noticed that Kanu was about to retire in a couple of months, and so called him up for a last hurrah in front of his home crowd in my African Nations qualifying match.

It was only against Eritrea, so I was always going to dominate, but nonethless the lad played a blinder.

He got the assist for every one of my team's four goals before half-time and set up innumerable other squandered chances, before the oppo's hard tackling and his own awful (4) stamina got the better of him.

Sadly, he was not given an ovation when he left the pitch late-on, and a young MC's brace of long-range strikes denied him the man of the match award he deserved, but it was still a great performance

He didn't score, but only because, completely through on goal, he pulled a DiCanio and put it out of play, with the keeper lying prone.

Normally, A part of me hopes that my players'll stick it in anyway, but I was feeling sentimental and it was great to see.

Was wondering if anyone else had seen a player go out with a bang - either an Indian summer of courageous perfomances in his final season or just a great performance in his last ever game?

Or maybe some other instance where you forgot you were watching some poorly-rendered pixels on a screen, and got a little bit teary over a player?

If anyone has any Zidanesque stories of final-game head butts or sad declines, bring those forward too.

On FM2009, Gary Neville was set to retire and I'd barely featured him at all in his final two seasons at the club, we were heading into the FA Cup final against Villa and thought I'd give him the game and the captaincy and let him walk away with one last winners' medal. Things didn't go down like that, in the first ten minutes he gave away a penalty that Villa converted and then got himself sent off hacking down Ashley Young. Went on to lose the game and I released Neville from his contract the day after. He retired and joined Newcastle as a coach over the summer.

the time where i was Chelsea and got to the FA Cup final playing the fringe players, had a big debate over whether to play them or not in the final, decided to be fair and got battered 4-0 funnily enough also by Villa

On FM2009, Gary Neville was set to retire and I'd barely featured him at all in his final two seasons at the club, we were heading into the FA Cup final against Villa and thought I'd give him the game and the captaincy and let him walk away with one last winners' medal. Things didn't go down like that, in the first ten minutes he gave away a penalty that Villa converted and then got himself sent off hacking down Ashley Young. Went on to lose the game and I released Neville from his contract the day after. He retired and joined Newcastle as a coach over the summer.

That is fantastic :D

On FM 2008 I started a career save with a Greek side called Diagoras. After a couple of seasons I signed an English midielder from Sydeny FC called Damian Socratous (part Australian). He was a instant hit in Greece, and only played under me for one season before the board sold him to Bolton in the PremierLeague.

After a few seasons I took the Aston Villa, they were in the championship at the time, with several big players on big wages, one player included Damian Socratous. I took Villa back up, creating a team around this player and within three seasons I was in the Champions League!

But I moved on again, and took the job at struggling Liverpool (Damian's hometown) and my first pucharse was Damian, he inspired the team taking over the captianacy from the retiring Steven Gerrard and he was the captain that lead Liverpool to their first PreimerLeague crown.

After a few years at Liverpool and three consecutive titles, I decided to take the England job, my job was simple, prepare for the World Cup that was to take place in England in two years time.

After simple progression through the group, the round of 16 and the quarters, my England faced Australia in Liverpool. That seemed perfect enough for Socratous but what capped it was a incredible brace from Damian that saw off Australia, 2-1.

We went on to lift the World Cup, Damian (38 at the time) as national captain, a player I had first signed as a fresh face 17 year old for a unknown Greek side, at 38, and released by Liverpool, Damian retired never to been seen in the Football Manager world again!

We could definitely use a "Testimonial Match" option in next year's game.

Nothing is worse than having your Icons retiring without being given a proper sendoff. Also we should be able to retire their shirt number.

They just set a retirement date, you play them for the last time and nobody really cares :(

In my current save I had Roar Strand and Steffen Iversen retiring, and all they got was a standard message about them hanging their boots, as if they were two Average Joes.

We could definitely use a "Testimonial Match" option in next year's game.

Mm. Testimonials have been suggested for a long time now - I remember it being a popular wishlist option right back to when I joined this forum - and they'd be a good addition. I think one suggested format was that you should get a report in your inbox which describes the testimonial, and mentions who was in attendance and the names of some well-known current/former players who played in the match.

On FM 2008 I started a career save with a Greek side called Diagoras. After a couple of seasons I signed an English midielder from Sydeny FC called Damian Socratous (part Australian). He was a instant hit in Greece, and only played under me for one season before the board sold him to Bolton in the PremierLeague.

After a few seasons I took the Aston Villa, they were in the championship at the time, with several big players on big wages, one player included Damian Socratous. I took Villa back up, creating a team around this player and within three seasons I was in the Champions League!

But I moved on again, and took the job at struggling Liverpool (Damian's hometown) and my first pucharse was Damian, he inspired the team taking over the captianacy from the retiring Steven Gerrard and he was the captain that lead Liverpool to their first PreimerLeague crown.

After a few years at Liverpool and three consecutive titles, I decided to take the England job, my job was simple, prepare for the World Cup that was to take place in England in two years time.

After simple progression through the group, the round of 16 and the quarters, my England faced Australia in Liverpool. That seemed perfect enough for Socratous but what capped it was a incredible brace from Damian that saw off Australia, 2-1.

We went on to lift the World Cup, Damian (38 at the time) as national captain, a player I had first signed as a fresh face 17 year old for a unknown Greek side, at 38, and released by Liverpool, Damian retired never to been seen in the Football Manager world again!

That is fantastic. What FM is all about. I'd like to see more news stories about players playing in their hometown, former club, etc, or a mention when a player in an international match is playing at his home stadium (even if its just a quick mention by the text commentary at the beginning of the match).

im afraid i have no sentiment to players at all. if they are no longer good enough to play then they dont, simple as. my job is to win trophies, not let a player say goodbye in a cup final.

when SI introduce testimonials then i might change my opinion

Well played mate, that is a good story.

Archived