Why is selling players always so dumb?

Ever since I can remember in CM/FM, selling players has always been hopelessly designed. I remember in one of the earliest games a foreign team would just buy one of your stars and you had no option but to let him go and the transfer fee would be about a quarter of his real value. Like it would say "Jamie Redknapp sold to Juventus for 1.9M" and there was nothing you could do and he would be worth like 5M and he was your star player. Well I guess things have improved since then! Well they have on the PC version anyway, but I really hope in FMH08 that good players are in demand by teams and that you can get rid of a player pretty quick when you want to (like in real life) and we don't have to play this bizarre game of offering a great player around for 50,000 and then when a team offers that you say "Just kidding - I really want 9 million!" It's such a shame because most aspects of this game are incredible. Fingers crossed for FMH08!!!

Ever since I can remember in CM/FM, selling players has always been hopelessly designed. I remember in one of the earliest games a foreign team would just buy one of your stars and you had no option but to let him go and the transfer fee would be about a quarter of his real value. Like it would say "Jamie Redknapp sold to Juventus for 1.9M" and there was nothing you could do and he would be worth like 5M and he was your star player. Well I guess things have improved since then! Well they have on the PC version anyway, but I really hope in FMH08 that good players are in demand by teams and that you can get rid of a player pretty quick when you want to (like in real life) and we don't have to play this bizarre game of offering a great player around for 50,000 and then when a team offers that you say "Just kidding - I really want 9 million!" It's such a shame because most aspects of this game are incredible. Fingers crossed for FMH08!!!

• SI Staff

IRL in football there are circumstances where a player goes 'cheap' because the club want to sell him and conversely there are also instances where a club wants someone and will pay nearly anything to get their 'man' ... a lot is down to the timing of the actions.

For instance if you're selling a player I'd suggest attempting to do so just after the end of the season - at that point clubs have their new budgets and are looking to make signings, thus you're more likely to find 'takers' for players offered around.

If you offer players around mid-season then you'll find their budgets are often sometimes a little tighter - especially if you're offering players on high wages as you indicated in your other post.

Thanks Marc. Yeah I pretty much only try to offload players around the summer anyway because that's when I'm shuffling the squad around. I just think of it like the Dyer situation IRL. He's a good player and once it because clear he wanted away, there was immediate interest from a couple of clubs and a decent offer came rollling in pretty quick. In FMH this very rarely happens and it therefore makes the game less enjoyable because buying (and selling) players is one of the most fun aspects of any footie management game. You nearly always have to bid over the value to get a player and nearly always get less than the value when you come to sell. This just makes the game less fun and realistic than it should be IMO.

I find it pretty hard to find negative things about this game though. 90% of it is spot on and fun as hell but the buying/selling seems to need some improvement. Also what's the point of having an "interested" filter when if you set it to no, players will still come up who are interested?

It's already been mentioned in the ideas thread that the buyout price should be stated and that you should be able to alter it like in the PC version. Managing Yeovil, I think I've lost about 10 good players to the big release fee clause and certainly not received their true worth. I just can't progress.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vane:

It's already been mentioned in the ideas thread that the buyout price should be stated and that you should be able to alter it like in the PC version. Managing Yeovil, I think I've lost about 10 good players to the big release fee clause and certainly not received their true worth. I just can't progress. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Part of the 'trick' to succeeding in FMH is ascertaining when to sell players and when to allow them a 'big club release' clasue.

If you know someone wants to leave and is after a release clause then I'd seriously think of selling them for a profit before their contract expires rather than resigning them (or renegotiating their contract asap to remove the clause - normally possible if you manage a promotion or similar fairly quickly afterwards).

That being said as I mentioned to people previously I'm tweaking this side of the game currently which should help ensure more competitive transfers in the next version.

• SI Staff

Just thought I'd mention in passing that I found something in the code today which would have caused certain offers to 'low ball' in some instances* in the game - this has now been changed which should improve selling players somewhat for next years version.

*This would generally have occurred in specific 'types' of offer - generally those based around the final year of a players contract.

Top man, Marc. Thanks! Anything you can do to improve the selling of players would be appreciated by all. I also like how in the PC version sometimes you would receive a BIG offer for one of your star players and it would be a real dilemna whether to sell or not and you can imagine real coaches feeling the same way when they get an offer like that.

It would also be great if you had some kind of idea of a players real value for both selling and buying. Maybe your assistant manager could help with this. Like when you see Micah Richards' value as being 4 million (or whatever) it would be great if you knew roughly what kind of offer it was really gonna take to pry him away from his club. If your assistant could say he estimated we'd need to bid 12-16M to get him it would save a lot of time and be more realistic. Obviously this wouldn't need to be 100% accurate every time - in real life sometimes the selling club (like Lyon!) can be super-stubborn and not want to let a player go except for ridiculous money.

And I think we'd all love to really get the money we deserve for a player we've brought up and nurtured when it comes time to sell for whatever reason instead of having to sell for below value when we know if we were the ones doing the buying we'd have to spend 2 or 3 times that much money.

I can think of a million things that would improve this game but they are all small compared to this one. And having said that it's an incredible game that I play almost every day. It's the reason I bought a PSP and what you guys have crammed into this game is amazing! Thank you! Thank you! icon14.gif

Thanks for that guys. I was over budget and couldn't offer him what he wanted for a new contract but he accepted a bit less and didn't even want a release clause, so all is well...for now! icon_smile.gif

why dont computer teams bid for players outside the transfer window? it would be better if they did as you wouldnt have to wait to set up a deal to offload a player before replacing them if the deal was already in place for the window opening

Archived