Is 16 to young?

I have a youth player who is very good, however, he is only 16.

Do you think it is to young to play him even though he could easily do a job?

Will it burn him out? Is it possible to burn youngsters out?

Basically, will it help his progression or hinder it? If you think you have the answer could you explain, in detail, why you think it will help or hinder him.

Now there's a thread title... eek!

I've had mixed results with players that young - sometimes they crack under the pressure, leading to poor morale. Sometimes they're not as effective due to relatively low mental attributes, which will grow as they mature. Either way, sprinkle him into the lineup as long as he's doing well and getting good ratings, but I wouldn't hope to rely on him as a every-game starter that first season. Just my experience.

Definitely find him a good tutor though.

i usually put my 16 year old regen in the odd league cup game dont play him that much yet then when he turns 17 will send him to my feeder club for a year to see how hes developing

my advice is if hes good enough to play then play him but dont play him week in week out

had a few before, the reports i had were saying hes good enough to be in the 1st team. when this has happened i have generally made him a sub for the first team and will get a 20 min run out if were in a good position. started him in cup games against lower league sides and in league games when there is less pressure, e.g playin whos bottom or last game of season when the league is decided. made him available for reserves so he is getting 90 minutes in games.

like somebody said above get him a tutor to help improve his game and remember not to expect too much of him at that age

Come on moderator, keep it on topic. :thup:;)

I started the 16 year old in a mickey mouse cup game, he was absolutely outstanding. He played like he was 28, not 16, and got a 7.9 rating. Admittedly, the opposition wasn't the best but they weren't the worst either.

Could have found myself possibly the best regen i have ever seen.

i never take age in consideration when it comes to good players, (currently have a 18 year old french striker who was starting matches when he was signed as a 16 year old, and also have a 15 year old (got his debut at 14) when i had my normal right back injured)

so no 16 is not to young for players imo

I've never really paid that much attention to how old a player is. I've rarely played a youngster who is on a youth contract in a first team match. Though that is mainly due to the fact I've rarely found a regen under 17 who is good enough. I was disappointed to get a 14 year regen when managing in Brazil who was my best player by far only to find he is too young to play.

I'd use him as a sub, often, with occasional starts. That reduces the risk of "feeling the pressure of public expectation", whilst increasing possible game time.

That doesn't apply so much to goalkeepers or defenders. I'd be tempted to play them once every three matches as a starter.

Like one of my friends says "if theres grass on the wicket, lets play cricket!!"..... Oh, i think i have mis-understood.

if hes good enough to play then play him but dont play him week in week out, play against lesser teams, cup comps etc.

I've had mixed results when playing youngsters, though I only play them in the cup games until they establish themselves.

That said, i've got an attacking midfielder who came on in a cup game last season (When he was 16, he's 17 now) and scored. He's now my backup AMC and has chipped in with a couple of league goals for me this season.

I always remember to tell anyone that young 'no pressure' in my pre-match team talks, stops them playing nervously.

old enough to bleed, bleeding old enough.

You kinds set yourself up with that title dude.

I'd ship him out to a much lower league team, where he'll learn the true meaning of "toughing up", not for long tho, like 3 months or something. This'll get him a little experience of first team action. Then I'd bring him back with a good tutor and start bringing him on for the last20 mind, giving him a few starts. You dontwant to play him too much tho cos he will burn himself out and probably won't progress as you hope.

Age is only a number. ;)

If he's good enough to play, play him! If you check Neppo Youth Project thread, for a youth player 'Javier'. I started him all season at Liga adelante at 16 years old. He became World Class. :D

But what are his attributes? Javier was already a 'good Liga adelante' player at 16, which is why I played on all season.

At Atalanta I had a striker who made his debut at 15! Used him a lot that season, mainly as a sub and he even nicked a couple of goals! Most notably away at Juventus... shame they scored 4 mind! It really helped his progression, when I left Atalanta he was a first team and scored a decent amount of goals. His value rocketed up as well.

Just checked his value and he's now worth 6 million, is 18 now and last season he scored 10 in 15 games!

Thread title of the year tbh.

Are you THAT impressed with bad spelling? ;)

On topic, I'm surprised no one has asked the key question - what league are you playing in?

If it's the EPL with it's attendant pressure, you have to be careful. I'm managing part-timers in the tenth tier - there are no cameras, no 'big games', no problem for my crop of 16 year olds to play first team football regularly.

played Iker Muniain on top from the start in my Athletic game, sure he got some media pressure, but still was my secound best striker after Llorente, and he still kept geting better stats

first year he scored 13 goals, got 11 assists and had 7.21 rating in 32 league games (most which was from start) at an age of 16

so i supose i would agree with the others saying, if he's good enough, play him

Any players I have about that age that I want to give a chance to I bring them on after 55-60 minutes unless i'm struggling in the game. This seems to give them a good chance. I have also found that if for example you have Gerrard tutoring your young un then him playing along side him seems to work.

I had a 16 yr old once, but that'sa different matter ;)

Get him played. It's been the same with FM and CM before that, you have to go with youth it's the only way. If he crumbles and burns out then he's not man enough for your team anyway!!

I started playing a 16yr old in my team, he's 20 now and in the Italian U21 squad, which for a Hibs player ain't too shabby, regularly gets 20 goals a season for now, but I'll sell him soon and replace him with my 16 yr old German AMC/FC who has 1 in 2 this season (scoared on his debut).

So yes play him from 16 - 21 then sell him and bring the next 16 yr old on.

Or in nearly 20 states of the U.S, too bad the poor grammar of the title ruined it's glamor.

...and in time-honoured fashion, the person who pointed out the error made a grammatical mistake himself. (The "it's" in your post should have been "its".)

Thread title of the year tbh.

Pretty bold statement for a January day ;)

Come on moderator, keep it on topic. :thup:;)

lol :D

On topic: Play him if he is good enough, but don't play him every game. Give him rests from starting, otherwise his development might be halted at some point.

9 of my starting 11 in my Liverpool First Team are aged 15-19. Yes you read right, 15. They are performing wonderfull also.

I'm going to have to ask you to post screenshots of your team...

I always try to get quite a few youngsters in the first squad, and the occasional 16 year old will get a few sub appearances in the CL and cups but I found that they lack a LOT of consistency when put under pressure in the league (Lukaku e.g.), but this is not a rule (Wilshere has been decent, though 17)

Or in nearly 20 states of the U.S, too bad the poor grammar of the title ruined it's glamor.

Grammar? glamor?

Seriously, what on earth are you talking about.

Guys, if you have nothing constructive to post on the thread, then don't post.

Are you THAT impressed with bad spelling? ;)

On topic, I'm surprised no one has asked the key question - what league are you playing in?

If it's the EPL with it's attendant pressure, you have to be careful. I'm managing part-timers in the tenth tier - there are no cameras, no 'big games', no problem for my crop of 16 year olds to play first team football regularly.

What is with the grammar police in this thread!!

In the EPL.

Not taken those factors into account.

On topic, or is it off topic...

Was my spelling okay? :thup:

I bought a promising 15 year old right back with the plan to give him reserve/u18 games for a while the loan him out. After my regular right-back had a run of poor form and my back up wasn't doing all to well I thought I'd give them a kick up the backside and started him for a league game against the bottom club.

He got two assists, hit the bar and we kept a clean sheet for the first time in donkeys. I gave him a little run and he continued to do well, he was pretty much first choice for the rest of the season.

Thats illegal

yes i said it,thank you

not even in this poster's country, you can get married in 16 :)

on topic: I tend to wait wait at least until they are 20-21 if I am a big club loaning him around the world for different football experiences, but if you are a small club I would say don't hesitate...

I'm using 2 16 year old right backs who alternate because they lack the stamina, 2 central midfielders and a centre back.

None are really that good now, but I find they improve much faster than when I loan them out or let them rot in the reserves.

...and in time-honoured fashion, the person who pointed out the error made a grammatical mistake himself. (The "it's" in your post should have been "its".)

This is an intentionally error, I think 'it's' should always be apostrophized, as it's either showing possession or a contraction for 'it is.' Possession is supposed to have the ' right? Never understood why it wasn't case for pronouns.

Anyways, if the kid can play...play him.

Archived