Innovate Uses of Nicknames

I saw a thread on here were someone used the nicknames to name their scout's JPA/JPP; that way, you saved yourself the step of having to memorize the names of your best scouts. I took that a step further and named my scouts things like "Dutch Scout 20/20" or "Greek Scout 13/14", which makes determining who should scout where a lot easier.

Since then, it got me thinking about nicknames and wondering: does anyone else have any other little nickname tweaks that they use?

I do it for regens who have the same name, like Brazillians you can get about 5 Renatos for example who are world class all at once and to differentiate them i rename some to new nicknames or change some to their full names which you can see in personal details (like the way Ronaldinho calls himself Ronaldinho to differentiate from Ronaldo (fat))

I once nicknamed by entire Chinese team as the position they were playing as the names were too similair.

Was great reading the commentary :)

But what with versatile players wo are played out of their best position or those position of which you have two ???

"Left winger passes to Left Winger", "Striker nods the ball to Striker" :D

If I find myself calling a player a name that's not what I'm reading, he will quickly get that nickname. Also, if I can't pronounce his name, his name is too long, or takes up too much space when he has the ball, it gets shortened somehow.

For example, I once had a Greek AMC named Christos Anastanthopolous whom I nicked "Alphabet". I just signed a Spanish regen named Agustin Fernandez Fernandez whose named showed on the pitch as Fernadez Fernandez. Very quickly, this changed to "F Squared", but I didn't like that. He's now "Fernie" 'cause that's what I was calling him when his passes would grossly over-lead his opposite MC...something tells me that's going to evolve to "Fergie" pretty soon.

Every edition of FM, I pick one youth in my farm system to nickname "The Kid." He's got to be good, though.

I wasn't sure how to pronouce the Scottish name McGeouch, so that guy became Goke, which evolved to Goku.

I had a French AMCR named Dedieou who became Deedoo.

Basically, if I'm calling someone something in my head, it's not long before he gets nicked...

I quite like adding the stars that my Assman reckon are the players potential after a youth, when he gets promoted from the academy - just to see if the idiot was right all along.

For example, I once had a Greek AMC named Christos Anastanthopolous whom I nicked "Alphabet". I just signed a Spanish regen named Agustin Fernandez Fernandez whose named showed on the pitch as Fernadez Fernandez. Very quickly, this changed to "F Squared"

Like it mate :thup:

One thing you can do with nicknames is to name your really crappy assman an Idiot (after some poor advice) and then sack him. Then at the end of the season the board will decide to build a new stadium adn call it, to your surprise, Idiot Park. Then you will notice the former assman was also one of the club legends, and that removing his nickname in no way affects the name of the new stadium. This actually happened to me...

So basically you might be able to decide the name of a new stadium as long as you are able to give a nickname to your clubs legend.

One thing you can do with nicknames is to name your really crappy assman an Idiot (after some poor advice) and then sack him. Then at the end of the season the board will decide to build a new stadium adn call it, to your surprise, Idiot Park. Then you will notice the former assman was also one of the club legends, and that removing his nickname in no way affects the name of the new stadium. This actually happened to me...

So basically you might be able to decide the name of a new stadium as long as you are able to give a nickname to your clubs legend.

That's one the best FM stories ever :D

Board announce plans for Idiot Park, named after one of club heroes. icon10.gif

I actually went back to an older save and removed the nickname. The club eventually moved to Melchiori Arena, named after the same former assistant manager. I even hired him back as a coach, though I didn't assign him to actually do any coaching - he was just so poor at it.

This made me laugh so hard my kids had not idea what was going on with me.

I had that with an Asst. Manager being stupid too...I just sacked him.

That is a fantastic story :D

I did the scout thing, I didn't know anyone else did. I like to keep their names so I end up with nicknames like "John Smith (P)" or "Tom Brown (Ap)" so I know their strengths. P is for high JPP and A for JPA. Uppercase means they're excellent, lower means they're good at that skill. At a glance I can see that John Smith is best for scouting a prospect while Tom Brown is more suitable for scouting an established player, or senior tournaments etc. I also include D for determination if I have a scout especially suited to trips (which I understand is what determination helps with).

Another one I've used is to set play positions when I take over a club whose playing staff I don't know so I'll have names like "Charlie Brown (GK)" until I get used to them.

The coach one is a good idea, I must use that when I start a new game (next patch, c'mon c'mon c'mon!)

I've used it to give people with 3 names like Carlos Garcia Gonzales a name like CGG. I had another player call PRG but i can't remember what his proper name was.

I think i will start using it more often for youngsters with good potential though.

Archived