"Cagey press conference from..."

Doing press conferences is a chore at best so it's particularly infuriating when the press choose to focus on the one question you gave a boring answer too. Would the tabloids really lead with the headline "he said nothing interesting" when in the very same press conference you've said that you hate international football, are looking to get get one over on another manager, are deeply unhappy with your star player's form, and intend to go all out attack in your next fixture?

Surely it can't be very hard to programme this feature so that the press will only say you've given a cagey press conference if all of your answers are cagey.

Yes, I get the same journalists asking me the same question 2-3 times every interview. I always answer with that one, "I am confident in all areas of my team." And then the journalists go, The public will want to hear an answer! So I give them the same answer two more times and it's a "cagey" press conference.

Not to mention, I am managing in the BSN so who really cares? Would it even be considered a "press" conference?

Press conferences need a lot of work in general. I just let my assistant do them, I'm lucky that I have one that doesn't balls them all up.

Same here. i generally just let my Ass man do them. I dont even do the unveiling of new players confrence as i find them very repetitive with pretty much the same set of questions asked every single time.

It's one of the reasons I don't do them much anymore. I wish I could just lay down the law to the journalists and say 'If I refuse to answer a question, or give an answer you don't like, I don't care. Don't ask me it again or it'll be the last question you'll ever get an answer to from me, as you're now banned from my conferences.'

I think the actual news should highlight 2-3 points, instead of just 1, especially after a lengthy conference.

Such as:

"Chelsea Manager uneasy with defensive approach, Terry ready to handle Torres"

"Manager pleased with Man of the Match, believes run will continue"

The news article may also bring up additional points mentioned in the press conference and their immediate effects.

It is quite annoying when you continually get 'Cagey press conference...' for saying "no comment" to 1 question. Thing is, I usually answer 'no comment' to avoid players going in a strop with me. Given the choice between the press thinking i've been cagey or my squad reacting badly, i'll take being cagey any day.

Fully agreed with whoever said the Press Conferences in general need a lot of work.

The feature generally sucks and that aspect just along with it :thdn:

I get this all the time simply by giving one neutral answer, which on top of that always refers to the same question which is the danger player of the opponent. Irl people would know by now that I don't comment on this and done.

Also, irl the headline wouldn't even exist. Or has anyone of you ever read that in any paper as a headline about a PC ????

i hate them as there only seems to be about 10 questions that can be asked.

the question that really bugs me is the 'who do u intend to mark whoever'? i look down the list, cant see the player who iam going to choose. so i answer 'none of the below' and then get accused of not answering the question!

I liked Press conferences at first but now they have become tedious, its the same questions time and again and there appears to be no intelligence from the AI as to where to gear the conversation. Plus if I send my assistant, which I always do now, the journalists make him the club reference point which he clearly isnt as he isnt the manager. Think of Man Utd and the BBC, Alex Ferguson never gives an interview, its always Mike Phelan yet I dont see the press or the BBC going on and on about Mike Phelan. It really needs work or its just an annoyign feature.

I didn't get FM09 and only bought FM10 a week ago.

I liked the sound of the press conferences so I took part in the first few (Huddersfield). Told it as I saw it, thought I'd given out a positive message about the club and our prospects only to find that I'd p***ed off half my team. My club captain and the vice captain were both considering their options after my first talk.

I did a few more, didn't improve so I handed the duty on to my Ass Manager. He seems to have the magic touch as the players are often motivated by his answers. I occasionally still take one now if it's a big game. I don't seem to upset them now, but I don't appear to motivate them either.

I also don't know why I am always said to be in an equivocal mood. I definately don't give answers to mislead, I usually praise or grumble at the performance of the team / individuals and then answer about how I see the season going. I remember after one game being asked about an opposition player who had had a really, really bad game (I think he got a 3). I thought I'd be nice rather than rub his nose in it and said something like it's never nice to see a player struggle, whomever he plays for. After the conference was over, the press picked up on this saying that the player would be angry with me for being disrespectful.

For something that I was looking forward to being in the game, I have very much gone off it as it currently works. It's like the team talks, I have no idea what planet the writers/programmers are on, who interpret my answers into something that is almost opposite of what I thought I said.

Archived