Should I get it ? Or should I not ?

• SI Staff
I love FM on the PC but don't know if I should get it on PSP. Ive heard that it's not as good but would like to hear what you think about it before I go and buy it ???

I think it depends entirely what you're looking for in a game.

FM PC is a fantastic game (not that I'm biased at all ;) ) but requires a huge investment from users in terms of time and effort to play it; FMH is a hard back to days when life was a little simpler and you played CM01/02 or CM03/04 blasting through a season in an evening.

It doesn't pretend to be the full PC game, although it does share much of its heritage* (and database) and the sense of realism with its results as much as possible ....

I play them both and enjoy them in different ways - I have an FM PC game on this very laptop which I fire up when I have a free evening as it takes several hours to get into and play 'properly' for me, I also have an on-going FMH game which I tend to shuffle out at the slightest opportunity, for instance I pick my daughter up from school semi-reguarly during the week and often I find I have 15-30 minutes waiting time involved in this ... an ideal opportunity to play a few matches in FMH and continue Brightons dominance of the football world .... yeah I'm a fair few seasons into the game now ;):D

*The original FMH was built using modified parts of the CM01-02 game engine (well actually using the code from the Xbox version of CM02-03, but I don't want to confuse people more than required ;) ).

I have Both Mac psp versions... To be honest I prefer Psp version... since If was free on My mac I would be doing different things, like world or Warcraft, Facebook, or working, and there are VERY annoying features on the Mac/PC version, also I NEVER liked the overhead two 2d pitch display (let alone the 3d one) ... the psp version ( with commentary only) reminds me of CM 99/00. :-) I *NEVER* needed to see where all the players where when a goal was scored.. the commentary made the game, the game shouldn't contrive to make the commentary.... if you know what I mean.

My only faults with the psp version are....

1. Its too easy to sign the regens.. for 50K or so...

2. When you sell the regens your transfers funds vanish mostly at the end of the season.. so the whole thing was pointless, and when you sell players for 7-10 Million after buying them for 50K and only want to buy replacements for 50K.. well you end up too cash rich, until it vanishes...

Basically the game WANTS you to have high wages and spend money to win the league... I like doing 100% the opposite... so I lose out I think :-(

Still its damn good fun... and a very very fine game.

John.

• 4 weeks later...

When you sell the regens your transfers funds vanish mostly at the end of the season.. so the whole thing was pointless, and when you sell players for 7-10 Million after buying them for 50K and only want to buy replacements for 50K.. well you end up too cash rich, until it vanishes...

I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the game "cheats" you out of some of your funds at the end of each season if you have earned too much cash????

That doesn't exactly make me want to rush out and buy this game!!

• SI Staff
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the game "cheats" you out of some of your funds at the end of each season if you have earned too much cash????

As with the PC version of the game if your club is cash rich your chairman may remove some of the surplus cash as dividends ....

(and this could arguably be a tad harsh at times in the PSP, especially as there seem to be a fair few users of the PSP version who enjoy bringing through youth players and hoarding cash - so in response to the feedback from users I'm going make this a little more friendly in the next version released, but tbh by the time you're noticing that sort of thing for most people you're in a fairly good position as a club generally imho)

I own both versions of the game and like most people I like to whip out FMH when I have a few minutes spare, or, stick PC version on if I intend to sit in my jogging bottoms all day with sky sports news on in the background.

Both games are fantastic for there own reasons and I can honestly say that I couldn't say which I prefered most.

Also on a side note FMH can be a VERY good way to relieve the stress usually brought on by a "rough patch" on the PC version!

Archived