Tactical v Tactical Knowledge

My guess would be as follows.

Tactical - how good they are at actually coaching their tactics

Tactical Knowledge - how wide and advanced their understanding of tactics is.

So, you could get someone with a high "Tactical" rating but low "Tactical Knowledge". This person would be excellent at coaching tactics in the lower leagues, but have limited effectiveness in higher leagues and European / International competition.

Alternatively, low "Tactical" but high "Tactical Knowledge" would be a football intellectual genius who isn't that good at getting their ideas across on the training pitch.

Would there be any benefit / synergy in having two people with the above attributes working together on tactical coaching?

Btw, I don't know this for certain by any stretch, its just an educated guess. I'll have a look at some manager stats now to see if my theory is supported by the evidence.

My guess would be as follows.

Tactical - how good they are at actually coaching their tactics

Tactical Knowledge - how wide and advanced their understanding of tactics is.

So, you could get someone with a high "Tactical" rating but low "Tactical Knowledge". This person would be excellent at coaching tactics in the lower leagues, but have limited effectiveness in higher leagues and European / International competition.

Alternatively, low "Tactical" but high "Tactical Knowledge" would be a football intellectual genius who isn't that good at getting their ideas across on the training pitch.

Would there be any benefit / synergy in having two people with the above attributes working together on tactical coaching?

Btw, I don't know this for certain by any stretch, its just an educated guess. I'll have a look at some manager stats now to see if my theory is supported by the evidence.

Just had a quick look at some Premiership managers to test this.

Pulis, Allardyce and Megson have noticeably higher tactical ratings than tactical knowledge. They are known as good organisers but all play a limited brand of football, so this would lend some support to my theory.

Ancelloti has 14 for tactical but 19 for tactical knowledge. Given his experience at the very highest level, this makes sense.

Also had a look at Quieroz. About 12-13 for each rating. I would have thought he'd score high on tactical knowledge given his input at Man Utd.

You want your scout who scouts opposition to have TK, along with your assman or coach who advises you. For your assman's advice on OI and in-game advice he needs good TK.

For training players in tactics, the coach needs 'tactics'.

Are you certain or is this based on logic?

Reason I ask is I find that we (the community) always complicate things only to find out later that the game isn't programmed in the way we think.

I used to think the same until I noticed no apparent difference between a scout that has a high TK attribute and one that has a low one.

Archived