Do high squad payouts work?

Yes. I was Bayern and won the Bundesliga for like 10 years in a row but kept missing out on the CL. Well the CL was in Germany that year and I really wanted to win so I stopped giving high payouts for the league and only the CL. It worked (won the CL) but I missed out on the Bundesliga by a point.

Also I never play my matches so I let the Assisant Manager do it. When I put low payout on lets say a domestic cup, the AI picks reserve players to be used in the cups thus that way he saves the better players for the CL.

Yes. I was Bayern and won the Bundesliga for like 10 years in a row but kept missing out on the CL. Well the CL was in Germany that year and I really wanted to win so I stopped giving high payouts for the league and only the CL. It worked (won the CL) but I missed out on the Bundesliga by a point.

Also I never play my matches so I let the Assisant Manager do it. When I put low payout on lets say a domestic cup, the AI picks reserve players to be used in the cups thus that way he saves the better players for the CL.

So your assistant won all those titles, not you.

And you never thought it was due to the final being in Germany either?

It depends, some times I find that my squad react really well to high payouts, with half the team feeling good about them for most of the year, and a good PR mark against their name. But sometimes it doesn't, it may be worthwhile trying it once on cup bonuses to find out. I have never offered low bonuses though

When I put low payout on lets say a domestic cup, the AI picks reserve players to be used in the cups thus that way he saves the better players for the CL.

That's interesting.

High payouts increases the motivation of some players for a good half a season, which in turn will affect performances and results.

As a lower league manager on a tight budget, if I'm favourite for a league title I'll go for low payout and high for a cup which I've no chance of winning. It might help get through an extra round or cause a minor upset and bring in more revenue.

So you never ever play matches, So basically the game is pretty pointless to you isn't it? (Just Guessing)

Squad Payouts seem to work in a way but I haven't seen any significant changes in my squad.

I was managing East Stirling, second season in the scottish 2nd division, had no money for players so only got a few bosman players as backup, predicted to finish 9th, offered high bonuses and ended up finishing 2nd and losing in the playoffs. This was the exact same first team that last season struggled to survive on the last day of the season, so yes they have an effect.

The following season did the same again but with 1 new nidfielder in the first team and finished top by 6 points after being predicted to finish 6th.

Some people might prefer to take on the role of a director of football rather than a manager.

Yup, this is how I generally play the game. It's just more interesting to run the backroom stuff, and set myself up as a 'General Manager' (North American style) than a game manager.

Plus I enjoy watching the world around me almost as much as my own team...if I played every match I'd still be about halfway through my 1st season! :p

Oh, and on-topic, I'd definitely noticed a difference, yes. But what I wonder is how much the effect is lessened by offering more than one high bonus (ie. league and Continent, but low on Cup).

I ALWAYS give high bonuses to any team I manage, in all competitions.

I have tried normal and low bonuses in the past, and yes I have noticed a difference. As some have said, a high bonus gives your players a morale boost for most of the season.

If your players don't perform, you don't end up paying much out in bonuses anyway, so it only matters if you are near the top of the league/doing well in cups/Europe.

And chances are, if your team are doing well in these competitions, your club will have a decent enough bank balance to cover it anyway.

Any time I do not give high payouts, my team under performs catastrophically. Messi and Co will lose to Swindon in the FA Cup. We'll go down to 9 men against Ipswich in the League Cup and lose 4-2 at home. We'll be 13th in the league because everyone decides they have a finishing of 3. Won't even reach the CL knockouts once the mighty Basle has finished with me.

The next season, I'll put it back to high, and win 5 trophies.

Either my team are far too greedy, or the payout means too much. Or maybe its because I put it at high in my first season, won things, then lowered in in season 2? Perhaps the squad just got angry at less money, like a contract paycut would do.

I certainly wont be picking high bonuses again.

First time I bothered with it after overachieving every year. We got knocked out of the first round of the cup and have drew 9 out of the first 13 leauge games despite absolutely killing teams.

All the goals have just dried up. I think they are trying to hard.

So your assistant won all those titles, not you.
So you never ever play matches, So basically the game is pretty pointless to you isn't it? (Just Guessing)

You guys need to lighten up. Let him play the game the way he gets the most enjoyment from. It always amazes me on these forums how many people criticise how someone plays the game.

Anyway back on topic. I always give high bonuses for every competition to get the morale boost, mentioned already, for my players.

I wasn't criticising, just stating a fact. He didn't actually win anything at all.

He's won the trophies regardless of whether he was giving the team talks at half time or not. He was employed by the club and played a part of the success. It'll show on his history page.

A team is more than just the manager. It's team work.

Archived