Whats BEST

A lot of games now require installation through steam (mainly for security reasons). If you want to save your DVD (no need for it in the tray with steam)and/or don't want the hassle of self-downloading the patches and/or want to look at the shiny new records in this years' iteration then use steam. If you are unsure about steam and don't care about the above three reasons then install via DVD.

If you are installing through steam never self-install a patch as this will wreck the game on your PC, thus requiring a fresh install. Also steam can be quite daunting if you've never used it before, so that might be a consideration too. Also it can be problematic sometimes too (I had problems installing Half-Life 2 via steam)

Sorry for the big write up for the conclusion, but there is no real best way of installing the game, it's just a case of your preferences.

Steam is a pretty horrible program, at least IMO. It takes much longer to install the game, it is never responding when I shut down the PC and I have to click "end program", and the interface is hard to navigate. Finding the editor is nearly impossible.

Personally, the classic method is far superior, though it does mean that you have to have the disk in all the time :mad:

I've been using Steam for years to play, mainly, CS 1.6. I have had minimal problems, and most of them my fault (forgot password, account name, AND what email address I provided at the time, installed and tried to put stuff in Steam folders that I didn't check to make sure they worked first, etc) it isn't all bad.

Archived