Should I install the game via DVD, or 'steam' it?

Hi all,

I have just signed up to the forum, and if this is not the appropriate forum I apologise in advance!

I have the option of installing the game via DVD (offline) or online via 'steam' (or something).

Can someone recommend which way I should do it?

Cheers in advance :)

If you install it using DVD, you must keep the DVD in the drive.

If you install it with Steam, you must install steam, but you automatically get any updates.

I would say go with steam, but others have had issues with Steam, so it is a personal choice. I guess you can go the DVD route if you are happy keeping the DVD in your drive.

Thanks for your swift reply Flukey.

Can I ask if I need to be connected to internet everytime I want to play then?

Also, the advantage of Steam I am guessing is that it will update me with all the latest patches to solve the game, whilst if I go with the DVD, I will still have all the errors in the original game - am I correct with these assumptions?

Can I maybe change at a later date? go from DVD to steam (continuing my same game)?

Thanks for your swift reply Flukey.

Can I ask if I need to be connected to internet everytime I want to play then?

Also, the advantage of Steam I am guessing is that it will update me with all the latest patches to solve the game, whilst if I go with the DVD, I will still have all the errors in the original game - am I correct with these assumptions?

Can I maybe change at a later date? go from DVD to steam (continuing my same game)?

If you install via DVD you can download the patches, steam just does it automatically.

You can also set steam to offline mode so you don't need to be connected to the internet.

If you install via DVD you can download the patches, steam just does it automatically.

You can also set steam to offline mode so you don't need to be connected to the internet.

So would I have to use the DVD then to play steam offline?

If I steam it, will I ever have to use the DVD again?

I am half tempted to just DVD it, and then maybe go to Steam later - good idea?

If you install with steam, you register your copy via steam to SI servers once. After that you can play it in offline mode. Obviously this means you would miss out on the updates if you never connected steam to the internet though.

If you do install via steam then you can't switch to DVD, unless you uninstall and install again, downloading all the patches as well.

DVD is certainly easier if you don't understand steam, but as I mentioned earlier, it does require the disc in your drive when you start up FM 2010.

I installed game through DVD, and the game doesn't require the DVD to be in all the time.. only to start/load your game.. at extreme days i find myself in front of my laptop / computer playing 2 saves at the same time on different screens.. damn you SI.. damn you :(

I'm steaming it now :)

If it is as straight forward as it appears - then it seems like a good option as it means I will not have to worry about getting the patches. The next thing I've got to do is get an editor lol! One thing at the time though lol!

Thanks for your help guys :)

Just a word of warning: if you are using steam, let steam do all the updates etc to the game, if you try and download any updates if you install via steam it causes the game lots of issues (as the downloadable updates are meant for the DVD installation version), meaning you would need to uninstall and reinstall again.

I'm still playing FM09 at the moment and the Steam is the easier way.

If I buy FM10 2nd hand would I be able to download it on Steam? How do I know whether it was previously registered?

Archived