Career Game/Start unemployed problem

I've been playing FM/CM for years but never started a game unemployed before. After reading some of the challenge/LLM threads I decided to give it a go. I loaded a new game with English leagues down to BSN/S but can't get a job for toffee - even Stafford turned me down. There are no jobs to apply for in the job center and I'm bored of just clicking continue. Have I set the game up wrong? (I gave myself sunday league rep.) or is it just a case of waiting...

Please help...

I've been playing FM/CM for years but never started a game unemployed before. After reading some of the challenge/LLM threads I decided to give it a go. I loaded a new game with English leagues down to BSN/S but can't get a job for toffee - even Stafford turned me down. There are no jobs to apply for in the job center and I'm bored of just clicking continue. Have I set the game up wrong? (I gave myself sunday league rep.) or is it just a case of waiting...

Please help...

I did the same recently and used automatic reputation and just went on holiday with 'apply for managerial positions' and 'return from holiday' ticked. I had to wait until February when I got an offer from Braintree in the BSS, I think that was the first BSN/S job to come up so it was just a case of being patient.

yeh me too, it depends on the leagues you have running as well. If you have some low rep leagues running such as sweden down to division two then you'll get a job there with sunday league rating. But if ur wanting to manage in england or somewhere similar i fear you might have to up ur rating a bit.

Don't let your experience put you off nelson. My guess is your problem simply lies in the fact that you only have the English leagues loaded and you chose Sunday league rep. For more success at finding a job I would recommend a few more leagues.

The Welsh league will accept managers with a lower reputation (which you will have with Sunday league) as will the lowest division in countries like Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland and Scotland possibly. Overseas it is easy to get a job in the lower divisions of the Scandinavian countries.

If you're worried about running too many countries then I'll say I have a dual core 1.8G processor and 2Gb of RAM and I run a good 12 to 15 leagues on full detail as well as the rest of Europe and a few selected nations on 'load all players from'. It can be a bit slow processing a weekends matches but is fine for me at all other times.

I can only say give it a go.

I started an unemployed game in Norway for FM07 and had a blast at a small club. It's just so different.

Word of warning: you may still need to win a lot to boost your reputation to a degree whereby you will get big future job offers. If that puts you off then just put your starting rep a level higher. I don't think it will make that big a difference. You'll still be starting at the lowest level.

Good luck.

Well you're going to need success to boost your reputation if you want the big jobs. That means league wins or cup wins, or at least good performances against bigger teams in the cups.

When I played in Norway I found it hard to get out of the lowest division and harder to stay out of it. It is very satisfying when you manage it of course.

The disadvantages of semi-pro are what you might expect them to be at a lower level of football. Wages are restricted, you're not going to be able to sign the best places (you'll have to rely on your scout(s) to find you talent), the training facilities are usually a muddy pitch or the managers back garden and your crowds will be one man and his dog.

Sometimes it's fun just to dive in at the deep end and see how it goes. Just get a good parent club that can loan you a star up and coming striker to bang in the goals.

Don't get disillusioned if you start badly. When you finally get your team firing on all cylinders and you make that step up from the basement it feels really good.

Good luck and have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What are the challenges of managing semi-pro? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Money, money, money.

I'm just now entering my 5th year at Rynninge, and my finances have been dropping like a rock since I started, despite nearly cutting my payroll in half. Five seasons in, and they're just now turning around. And even that's due only to a new sponsorship deal made last year.

Basically, it's exactly like any other low level league in the game... just different names, and rules.

Most enjoyable FM game time is when you start from the bottom and work your up!

Recently started with Stafford Rangers, tipped for relegation we finished 10th and won FA trophy. Very proud.

A young Rooney was banging in the goals.

...... not Wayne, ADAM!!!

Best feeling- when I signed 35 year old Mustafha Haghi (formerly of Coventry City) Major coop!! icon_biggrin.gif

Signed on with Molatar mid-season. They were bottom of some bizzare Gothland league. The board expect me to get promoted. I'm currently 28 points adrift of the promotion zone (which consists of 1st place and... that's it) This could be a tough one...

P.S. first game incharge: 5-0 to me and I was only 7/2 and opposition was 6/4 on. LOL I might get to like this...

yeh sweden is great, i enjoyed a brief flirtation with success with Gunnilse, got them promoted into first division south and then finished second missing out on promotion on the last match of the season.

Good luck with molatar!!

I started unemployed too with automatic reputation and got the Stafford Rangers job immediately. This time. Some other career starts I've had to wait until february or march to land a job from the blue square north or south. Just a matter of getting lucky I guess...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sebacid:

I started unemployed too with automatic reputation and got the Stafford Rangers job immediately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Miz how did you get the Staffs. job? They turned me down twice. Did you start with auto rep? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats your nationality Nelson?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mizan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

Miz how did you get the Staffs. job? They turned me down twice. Did you start with auto rep? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats your nationality Nelson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm English, both IRL and on my manager profile. I sometimes like to give myself a 2nd nationality (I consider myself a global citizen) but I didn't this time around.

I've won 4 out of my 1st 5 games so far... this is easy!

*singing* Sweden, Sweden, Sweden... it's a place where I quite like to be

Pony trecking or camping... or just watching TV...

Do they have reserve teams in the Swedish lower leagues Nelson? I always found Rosenborg Reserves to be a right royal pain in the backside when I was playing my old Norway game.

They did help in one way though. Because they couldn't be promoted I could finish 4th or 5th and get promoted. Happened too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by anagain:

Do they have reserve teams in the Swedish lower leagues Nelson? I always found Rosenborg Reserves to be a right royal pain in the backside when I was playing my old Norway game.

They did help in one way though. Because they couldn't be promoted I could finish 4th or 5th and get promoted. Happened too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I don't think so as Sweden has its own reserve leagues. Norway doesn't so I guess that's why their reserve teams play in the lower leagues.

Archived