Finished 6th but didn't qualify for Europe?!

Ok, so I was pretty happy after a bad start to my first season as QPR in the Premier League to eventually finish 6th, I thought I would have qualified for Europe but for some reason I have not and I don't understand why.

Euro qualifiers from England:

Everton (last season 7th)

Manchester United (last season 5th)

West Ham (last season 11th)

FA cup last season Chelsea beat West Ham in final

Euro Cup last season Benfica beat Everton in final

Oh ok, I think I just realised....that's rather unfortunate. So because West Ham and Everton both lost in a final to a team who qualified for the Champions league they both get Euro Cup spot? Damn that's unlucky. I thought 6th would have got me a place. Oh well

Oh ok, I think I just realised....that's rather unfortunate. So because West Ham and Everton both lost in a final to a team who qualified for the Champions league they both get Euro Cup spot?

Yup, that's exactly it, mate. And that is unlucky, hope you do better next year.

Edit: Hang on, no it isn't, actually. Everton's Europa League runner-up position doesn't have any bearing on it, they must have either won the League Cup or lost the final to a team that finished top 4.

The only weird personal experience I have had is that 1st season as Manchester City I wasn't in the EURO Cup as they are in reality? There could be a bug that has caused this and you might have the same experience. I hope the few people that do have an eye on this thread report any abnormalities like you apparently have experienced, as I think you should have qualified even with those circumstances mentioned...

P.S. if Everton did win the cup it might explain it...

SteveRobbo is correct.

Top 2 or 3 places are automatic qualifiers for the Champions League

4th (and possibly 3rd) is into a qualifier for the Champions League going into the Europa League if they fail to qualify

5th is automatic entry to the Europa League

Winner of the FA Cup or runner up if winner has already qualified for Europe gets a Europa League spot

Winner of the League cup gets a spot but that spot goes to 6th in the league if the winner has already qualified for Europe

An extra place maybe made available in the Europa League depending on the fair play league standings at the end of the season.

The only weird personal experience I have had is that 1st season as Manchester City I wasn't in the EURO Cup as they are in reality? There could be a bug that has caused this and you might have the same experience. I hope the few people that do have an eye on this thread report any abnormalities like you apparently have experienced, as I think you should have qualified even with those circumstances mentioned...

P.S. if Everton did win the cup it might explain it...

Don't think City qualified this season - Everton, Fulham and Villa did. Man City were in it last year

Don't think City qualified this season - Everton, Fulham and Villa did. Man City were in it last year

Did I really have a memory lapse? I just thought that Man C were in Denmark some months ago & played against a team called AaB. Geez if that is the case & it was last year, then how time flies by---:o....

I thought the FA cup euro qualification rules to those of the League cup a few years back, because of Milwall. Or was I wrong on this one:confused:

Milwall lost to Man Utd in the FA Cup final in 2004. Because Man Utd already qualified for the Champions League through their league position, the Uefa Cup place went to Milwall.

However if this had been the League Cup final, Milwall would not have been given the European place. It would have instead gone to the next highest position in the league.

Archived