World Player of the year awards

lavezzi is awesome...

I find that one (can never remember if its world footballer or world player) tends to be a world star who has been awesome and the other is a bit curious. Seldom the same man for both.

Two uses of the word awesome in one short post... awesome... don't judge me

The awards section has been messed up for years with no sign of it getting any better even though the games as a whole continue to improve.

Irl, If you look back on all the previous winners of this award 99% of them come from a 'g14' or elite club. (I just wonder had Ronaldo not moved to Barcelona from PSV mid way through the season in 1996 would he have won it that year? Probably not as Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored 31 goals from 34 games for PSV a few years later and didn't feature in the top 3) That means FIFA like to give it to a player at a club with a huge reputation (as it should be because these players are watched worldwide). These players are mostly European and International winners too.

I think thats where FM gets this particular award wrong. It should be coded to give it to an outstanding player of the highest rep teams of that particular season. Success of his club in Europe and his national team should also be a big factor. Cannavaro leading Italy to World Cup a great example. Oliver Kahn's performances at the 2002 World Cup saw him finish runner up to the man who scored against him in the final - the mighty Ronaldo.

The awards section has been messed up for years with no sign of it getting any better even though the games as a whole continue to improve.

Irl, If you look back on all the previous winners of this award 99% of them come from a 'g14' or elite club. (I just wonder had Ronaldo not moved to Barcelona from PSV mid way through the season in 1996 would he have won it that year? Probably not as Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored 31 goals from 34 games for PSV a few years later and didn't feature in the top 3) That means FIFA like to give it to a player at a club with a huge reputation (as it should be because these players are watched worldwide). These players are mostly European and International winners too.

I think thats where FM gets this particular award wrong. It should be coded to give it to an outstanding player of the highest rep teams of that particular season. Success of his club in Europe and his national team should also be a big factor. Cannavaro leading Italy to World Cup a great example. Oliver Kahn's performances at the 2002 World Cup saw him finish runner up to the man who scored against him in the final - the mighty Ronaldo.

the unfortunate thing about these awards is that FIFA likes to use them as an advertising platform. no mention of the great Michael Ballack after the 2002 world cup either despite dragging a mediocre team through to the final, almost is a maradona-esque fashion.

in the game however, most of the awards in my game at least do seem to go to "sensible" suggestions, even if they are skewed in favour of elite clubs.

Similar thing(ish) that they get horribly wrong is the best eleven. Darron Gibson (in my notss county game) has been one of my best players every season featuring in over 50 games each season for the past seven.

At the end of my most recent season he once again featured in my seasonal eleven but was bumped from the all time list for Henri Lansbury's 26 games with an average rating of 6.95 and 1 goal.

saw wilson palacios shortlisted once but he never won it.

best eleven decision is also very baffling to work out. i had a player make 150+ appearances for me get booted for a player that had made about 30 appearances for me instead. cant work that out?

Archived