Stupid managerial appointments

Go Carra!! Perhaps the FA felt guilty for all the times Sven and Shteve McLaren picked Wes Brown or a 20% fit Ledley King ahead of him during his playing days (if it was a fully fit King, fair enough!)

I have seen some odd choices for managers in game.

I'm in November 2020 and Everton just sacked Alan Shearer because they are last in the Premier League. So they have appointed Simon Weaver as manager. In the game he was at Harrogate for 9 years before moving to Galway United in the Irish First Division. He won the league with them and got to the Senior Cup semi final. Halfway through the season with Galway in mid table he got the Everton job.

His attributes are terrible. He has been in charge of 544 games in his career. Won 190, drawn 144 and lost 210.

• 2 weeks later...

But he is a legend in German football. In my example, the manager Everton put in place never played above League 1 (I think - can't remember exactly). All he had going for him was one cup win and a promotion from the second division in Ireland. He didn't even win the league - they got up via the playoff.

Personally I think there are far too many ex-players becoming managers in this version. So even ex lower league players have an inflated reputation as a manager (ex-pro) but obviously some ex-pro should have a higher reputation than others.

I have concerns that the game management system is failing.

One concern which happens every version is when you start a game those new managers in real life who si set up and in data updates even in patches often are the ones who get sacked. The game dont understand they are new managers likely need time.

The game has no concept of whats happened in RL before GAME kicks in and is a virtual representation of management.

I believe this is why we see fergie get sacked not saying glaziers would not do it but the game should take into acoount whats happened in RL with his management and successes.

I also think the game dont understand the concept of good manager poor manager and how certain managers have array of skills. You cant get a warnock style manager.

Which leads me should the half time team talk be available during the game with twists. So we can get that spontanous temper managers.

Shout on the sidelines to the team or individuals like Joe Bloggs if I wanted a statue I would bought one shift you useless bleeb

Ref you beeb that was a penalty for sure are you blind. just couple examples.

Another is we cant get player managers (not saying we get joystick and player just merely have a player regen in our name who can be picked to play to represent it) and equally cant get coaching managers.

The game needs the variation we might see managers close to there real life abilities and then get similar success rates. Ultimately it make it more realistic and stop stupid appointments.

I have had a few regen managers managing in the BSS and BSN getting managerial jobs in League 1.

The one that I remember was the Droylsden manager who was lower mid table of the BSN being hired by Crystal Palace in the lower mid table of League 1.

with the latest patch far too many famous former players are going straight into international management

this, coupled with the bug that makes brazil sack its managers every time there's a poor result, saw brazil managed by ronaldo, rivaldo and ronaldinho within the space of about 9 months

in my game italy are currently managed by a former milan backup keeper who earned about 2 caps in his career. again, no managerial experience. it happens occasionally, but currently in fm it's happening far too much

i was just offered the italy job, but i rejected it cos i wanna win the olympics with england U21 trhis summer.

they appointed this guy instead

italyt.jpg

no prior managerial experience, played for genoa for a few years before ending his career at stoke :/

On a somewhat related note, Brazil keep sacking managers on my save and I've seen it happen often on others as well.

Their FA is crazy just like real life, but they are now on their 3rd manager in a year. Alex (RL player for Fenerbahce) took charge during World Cup 2014. Manoel Nato was originally in charge but after they lost in the semi final to Spain he was immediately sacked and Alex put in charge for the 3rd place playoff. Alex was then sacked during Copa America 2015 group stage after just 2 matches in which they won 3-1 vs. Venezuela and a 1-1 draw with Uruguay. Ronaldo (the fat one) was put in charge for the 3rd place playoff which they won 1-0 over Uruguay.

They then played 2 friendlies, 2-0 over Wales and 0-0 vs. Ghana and he was subsequently sacked. Ricardo Oliviera is now in charge and I wouldn't be surprised if he was also sacked if he failed to win every game, because that's what the Brazil FA expects I suppose.

On a somewhat related note, Brazil keep sacking managers on my save and I've seen it happen often on others as well.

Their FA is crazy just like real life, but they are now on their 3rd manager in a year. Alex (RL player for Fenerbahce) took charge during World Cup 2014. Manoel Nato was originally in charge but after they lost in the semi final to Spain he was immediately sacked and Alex put in charge for the 3rd place playoff. Alex was then sacked during Copa America 2015 group stage after just 2 matches in which they won 3-1 vs. Venezuela and a 1-1 draw with Uruguay. Ronaldo (the fat one) was put in charge for the 3rd place playoff which they won 1-0 over Uruguay.

They then played 2 friendlies, 2-0 over Wales and 0-0 vs. Ghana and he was subsequently sacked. Ricardo Oliviera is now in charge and I wouldn't be surprised if he was also sacked if he failed to win every game, because that's what the Brazil FA expects I suppose.

you see i don't know what missconception there is in europe (or england ftm) with regards to coach-sacking in brazil but it's way off the mark.

dunga has been severly critised during his first year as a coach and had mixed results. the CBF stood by him. If you have a look at every past brazilian national coach for the past 16 years you will not find 1 that has been sacked before completing 4 years as head of the team (and in most if not all cases they are not sacked; rather their contract expires and its not renewed for reason y).

zagalo was made a national joke when he took over and critised for over 2 years if not mistaken but the CBF supported him nonetheless and he went onto winning the world cup.

I have seen some odd choices for managers in game.

I'm in November 2020 and Everton just sacked Alan Shearer because they are last in the Premier League. So they have appointed Simon Weaver as manager. In the game he was at Harrogate for 9 years before moving to Galway United in the Irish First Division. He won the league with them and got to the Senior Cup semi final. Halfway through the season with Galway in mid table he got the Everton job.

His attributes are terrible. He has been in charge of 544 games in his career. Won 190, drawn 144 and lost 210.

Ha ha, I know Simon Weaver and he's a good lad. He'd be gutted he was a crap manager too!

yeh done 5 season and had 5 different brazil gaffers now

Brazil seems to be a special case. They fire their managers almost after every loss, no matter the importance of it. And in the middle of tournaments. Won the two first matches of the World Cup and through, are you? Then they lose the 3rd and fire the manager. Ho-hum.

They also get some random regen with absolutely no experience. Pretty silly. It's one thing if Owen or whatnot takes over England. It's quite different if some regenned manager with zero experience, with a blank Achievements screen, takes over England. And that's what happens to Brazil, almost every single time. The last manager lasted 3 months :D

Yeah we're aware of some issues with managers getting jobs they probably shouldn't.

Please tell us that you working on it and that it would be fixed in 10.3? If this could be fixed together with "one on ones" and regen problems, maybe I'll consider playing this game again.

i was just offered the italy job, but i rejected it cos i wanna win the olympics with england U21 trhis summer.

You are going to be disappointed then, as England don't compete in the Olympics.

About once a week I get the news that Freddie Ljungberg wants to come to my swedish side (Djurgården) to be a youth coach. He has like 3 in working with youngsters and really bad stats when it comes to other stuff. Why the hell would I wanna hire someone who obviously is not coach material?

I accept randoms like Carragher after being proved by Maradona and Klinsmann, but in my game a random 36 year Portugese with no prior experince ended up at England, before myself a now Developed world class manager, who would be 57 in game iirc. Not my real age btw, started the game under Jim Gannons ID.

I spent 10 years waiting for Stuart Pearce to leave England, i managed Norwich to the premiership title and a bunch of cups on the way, managed Ghana, Ivory Coast, England U21's and Brazil and became one of only 2 World Class managers in the world. Finally he gets sacked after a disappointing world cup and... Steve Bloody Bruce gets the nod! Who hasn't won anything! Gaahhh!!

Guardiola at Barcelona wasn't that strange of an appointment in fairness. A club legend who was in charge of the B team and doing well with them in a country where B team managers often get the chance to manage the full team.

Unfortunately this is something that cant happen in FM as B team managers are constantly ignored even though IRL the tendency is to do exactly this. Villareal just sacked their manager and have appointed an interim B team manager until the end of the season according to the online press. So why cant SI make this possible??

http://www.soccernews.com/villarreal-sack-valverde-after-osasuna-defeat/29835/

To summarise the above article - "Villarreal B manager Juan Carlos Garrido will take control of the senior team for the remainder of the season."

Diego Maradona and Jurgen Klinsmann both took national jobs with very little or no prior experience. Maradona had 2 years of coaching experience but with little success. Klinsmann was a marketing consultant. It's not unheard of.

Maradona and Klinsmann are heroes in their homeland. Jamie Carragher fell out with the whole media-mad England circus.

Archived