ridiculous retirement

Absolutely gobsmacked. I am manager of England and am in the 2014 World Cup final. Rio Ferdinand is the England captain.

Ferdinand played a starring role in the quarter final victory over Mexico and in that game equalled Peter Shilton's record 125 caps for the country.

Rested in the semi, my hope was that Rio would play in the final, break the record and lift the cup. What a glorious way to end his career.

The morning of the game... news item...

England's Rio Ferdinand has announced his retirement from international football. etc etc

He is unavailable for the final!!! wtf???

Unlucky mate, i could never see a player doing that in real life, played in the quater finals then given a rest to be ready for the final.

Then on the morning of the Final decide to retire! In real life if they were thinking of calling it a day, they would retire after the World Cup finals...

Well, it's surely a bug!?

No player in their right mind would retire, the morning of the World Cup final, when they are in the squad!

<Hotel lobby, morning of the World Cup Final>

Rio Ferdinand trudges downstairs.

Manager: "Right lads, here's the team. Carson in goal, Coley left back, Johnno on the right. Centre-backs, Woody and Big Rio. Counting on you today Rio, lead with your heart on your sleeve, kid..."

Rio: "Err... Boss, can I have a minute?"

<Hotel lobby, morning of the World Cup Final>

Rio Ferdinand trudges downstairs.

Manager: "Right lads, here's the team. Carson in goal, Coley left back, Johnno on the right. Centre-backs, Woody and Big Rio. Counting on you today Rio, lead with your heart on your sleeve, kid..."

Rio: "Err... Boss, can I have a minute?"

haha! class! :D

HUGE Bug and very unfortunate for you!!! Surely this has to be looked into as it is ridiculous... maybe add a code-in feature, where players can only retire after international tournaments are finished if they have been selected for the national team.

HUGE Bug and very unfortunate for you!!! Surely this has to be looked into as it is ridiculous... maybe add a code-in feature, where players can only retire after international tournaments are finished if they have been selected for the national team.

It's not completely unrealistic for someone to walk out of a major international tournament when they are in the team so I don't think it should be coded out of the game. Roy Keane anyone?

It's not completely unrealistic for someone to walk out of a major international tournament when they are in the team so I don't think it should be coded out of the game. Roy Keane anyone?

so thats one player in the history of the world cup and that makes it ok?

Not as bad, but I suffered from this as well: coaching Italy, after the last qualification game for South Africa, Del Piero announced that he retires from international duties. What? Was he like: "I've already got one World Cup, there's no need for another". He had played in all my games, and was one of the best performers. No (major) injuries either. I asked him back three times, but he kept refusing.

It got better, I was too upset to post immediately after. Cup final against argentina, messi out suspended which went some way to compensating for rio's shopping trip... half time 2-0 down... england grab 2 back with sub welbeck scoring the equaliser in the 85th minute.

Extra time, no score. Penalty shoot out.

First five pens scored.

Sixth pen for argentina - pastore scores.

Sixth pen for england - rodwell, the late replacement for rio ferdinand, blazes wide of the post, manager buries head in hands.

Man... down... kicked while he's

I am sure this is a bug, so please post this in the Bugs forum- if you have a save from before the final, that would aslo be good.

And while he's at it, perhaps he could post next week's winning lottery numbers?

I'm sure he was able to predict the future in hindsight. :D

And while he's at it, perhaps he could post next week's winning lottery numbers?

Those are my actual numbers, so if it does win I could be shortening my cut... but hey ho, I'm a team player, unlike my ex skipper.

I'm afraid I do not have an old save, I am a regular control + s man so the incremental thing never kicks in. Plus, do not know how to lift a thread to another forum... I feel inadequate.

Those are my actual numbers, so if it does win I could be shortening my cut... but hey ho, I'm a team player, unlike my ex skipper.

I'm afraid I do not have an old save, I am a regular control + s man so the incremental thing never kicks in. Plus, do not know how to lift a thread to another forum... I feel inadequate.

No need to transfer the thread- just open a new thread with the relevant details and the SI staff will at least see the issue.

Remember Ronaldo for Brazil in 2002? world cup final, initialy not on the team sheet then put on at the last minute, played a stinker. Turned out he had a fit just before the game due to the pressure. Slightly different but you just have to assume that Rio bottled it.

seen other people complain that a player has retired during the world cup finals. certainly must be because its during the summer in europe so players retire then. i will be surprised if rio is actually still playing for england by then IRL.

Remember Ronaldo for Brazil in 2002? world cup final, initialy not on the team sheet then put on at the last minute, played a stinker. Turned out he had a fit just before the game due to the pressure. Slightly different but you just have to assume that Rio bottled it.

If i remember rightly, didnt the same Ronaldo go on to score 2 goals and lift the World Cup for Brasil, Hardly a stinker is It????

All you need for hindsight is the rolling autosave function;)

Yes I did actually consider this point, but decided to totally ignore it because it was devastating to my argument.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived