Take a Breather?

Isn't that common sense?

Yeah, but often my/your common sense isn't FM's common sense...

E.g. if I say "Pleased" to my players at half-time when they're up 3-0 and cruising, I'd expect it to mean "Good job guys, more of the same please, but without killing yourself".

Instead FM often takes it as "The game is won already, just stop playing", thus leading to the oh-so- common Amazing Comeback, and chances are high you'll be 3-3 around the hour mark.

And this is just one of the many occasions when "common sense" and the match engine kinda disagree in an hilariously confusing and annoying way.

Yeah, but often my/your common sense isn't FM's common sense...

E.g. if I say "Pleased" to my players at half-time when they're up 3-0 and cruising, I'd expect it to mean "Good job guys, more of the same please, but without killing yourself".

Instead FM often takes it as "The game is won already, just stop playing", thus leading to the oh-so- common Amazing Comeback, and chances are high you'll be 3-3 around the hour mark.

And this is just one of the many occasions when "common sense" and the match engine kinda disagree in an hilariously confusing and annoying way.

Good point. :D

But I find most of the sideline shouts do what they say on the tin.

tactical theorems and frameworks lists all the shouts, what they do, and in what situations to use them.

I'm from the USA so I had a hard time figuring out what some of them meant since our lingo is a bit different (get stuck in? wtf is that)

Get stuck in = Tackle the opposing players harder than normal

Not if you're still new to football.

Anyone who plays FM should have a faily good knowledge of football already, shouldn't they? Seeing as they're buying a football game...

Get stuck in = Tackle the opposing players harder than normal

Anyone who plays FM should have a faily good knowledge of football already, shouldn't they? Seeing as they're buying a football game...

yeah I already figured the stuck in part thanks to the tactical theorems PDF. I tell you I had a hard time, it was essentially a language barrier.

tactical theorems and frameworks lists all the shouts, what they do, and in what situations to use them.

I'm from the USA so I had a hard time figuring out what some of them meant since our lingo is a bit different (get stuck in? wtf is that)

Thank you and yeah same for me, english isn't my native language so sometimes i find myself confused with the lingo, and the fact that i never played football IRL also is an reason.

Take a breather is one of the shouts I very often use, especially when I have a comfortable lead and I want to cruise through the rest of the game. I usually use it on the 'control' strategy. It reduces forward runs and tempo.

I usually use this in conjunction with 'retain possession' and 'play to feet'. The whole team becomes much more patient in their build up and focuses on possession. You can well and truly kill a game with this.

Take a breather is one of the shouts I very often use, especially when I have a comfortable lead and I want to cruise through the rest of the game. I usually use it on the 'control' strategy. It reduces forward runs and tempo.

I usually use this in conjunction with 'retain possession' and 'play to feet'. The whole team becomes much more patient in their build up and focuses on possession. You can well and truly kill a game with this.

I was in a playoff game, and was in position to advance, so I used your instructions and it truly KILLED the game, although I didn't get more than 50% possession the other team became very frustrated.

Actually, that does make sense. I'll try it - thanks!

Defeats the point of being a casual player though - a casual player wants to play the game for a short half hour spurt instead of play for hours on end as we do on here. I'd say that kind of player is typical of FM's userbase. It's not easy to just 'learn' how these things work - team talks in particular. At the moment I tend to dip in and out of FM, rather than play it religiously as I did a few years back.

Unless you spend an hour or so in T&T I can promise you that you'll never, ever get the hang of team talks. As I said before, it's a lottery. As are press conferences and to a certain extent some of the in-game commands.

Do not use it if 3-0 up at half time as I stupidly did and ended up losing 3-4.

Yup, the key for using these shouts as mentioned higher in the thread - and most of the shouts actually - is to use them at a time or in a situation when it's most effective. Late in the game, hanging on for a draw, whatever. You also wouldn't go wider, look for overlap, etc when you're clinging on to that 1-0 lead would you?

I'd also be very careful about aiming to kill the game in a slow possession based manner if you don't have the players to do it...

Some people want FM simplified and be more easy to use, and some people want it to be more realistic with more features... You're never going to win, are you? Can't please everyone.

Maybe not, but I would like to recommend SI for going in the right direction with this years game. The tactics are simplified for those who would like to play it sporadically (tactics creator, more overlying commands), but they still kept the option to issue detailed commands to every player, much like last years edition.

This must be very difficult for SI, but I like the idea that you can have more control and a more detailed system if you so chose to. I would like to see this implemented into other areas of the game as well. I would really love to have more options and more detail when it comes to e.g. team-talks, press conferences, media handling, manager interaction etc. But SI might be afraid this might overwhelm new players and those with less experience with football/FM. I think the right way to go here would be to do similarly as with the tactics. One more "simplified" version and one more "advanced" version for those who prefer that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived