Finding the most promising young regens

you just have to have a big scouting network and send them around predominantly the leagues you have active, and also around leagues who are renowned for making good young players.

alternatively try to get good youth facilities to produce your own :)

Regens can be made from any age. I set in the beginning of each game some good scouts to permanently scout some hot spot regions. Then I have some extra scouts I send 1 week before the regen date to a country. Age requirement is lower than 18 because I want homegrown status. Sometimes I miss one and pick him up later but I still manage to have 11 HG player on roster right now.

edit: I do this because I have attrib masking on.

I just get a couple of scouts looking around (setting their searching filters to only include kids) and just hoover up as many as I can. I'll usually focus my efforts on those who don't have a pro contract set up for once they turn 17/18.

By the way, Bean - how many decent regens have you had come through the Liverpool academy? I've just had the one, and he's a keeper (currently at the u-19s Euros). All my other decent regens I've had to scavenge from other clubs!

One thing I've learnt, which was actually really obvious and I stupidly never noticed it, is the star ratings. Example:

Regen 1 - Current Rating: * Potential Rating: ****

Regen 2 - Current Rating: *** Potential Rating: ****

Which one is better? It's actually the first one, because it shows he can improve more than the second one. It's deceptive that the second regen looks like he should be better just because he has 3 stars for his current ability.

I've found much better players using this method of looking at star ratings. Basically the bigger the gap, the better they'll be.

i get ten scouts and on regen date i get them to scout every new player from every decent-sized club! You dont get all the results back for a few weeks but I always get about 5% 3-star rated so worth scouting 200 players to find 40 decent prospects!

change the age to 16 and just filter for the essential attributes for the position.

hmm i dunno ive not tried it but I wouldnt think that would be much use for youth players, certainly for technical attributes. They will need time to develop those skills. And i have seen defender regens with good ratings, but not for 'essentials' like jumping and strength at such a young age.

hmm i dunno ive not tried it but I wouldnt think that would be much use for youth players, certainly for technical attributes. They will need time to develop those skills. And i have seen defender regens with good ratings, but not for 'essentials' like jumping and strength at such a young age.

Physical attributes I have found are very difficult to train, so a decent value in these areas at a young age in my opinion is very important. if a central defender for instance has <10 for jumping/strength he will probably never be good enough physically.

I handn't really noticed it before but most of the regens in my current save have 'broken' stats ie strikers with header 5 and composure 5 but shooting 19, dribbling 18, off the ball etc. All the stats you would get with a top class player but hamstrung by weird discrepencies in their profiles.

I think its been said a few times but this really needs fixing in 10.3. :mad:

I handn't really noticed it before but most of the regens in my current save have 'broken' stats ie strikers with header 5 and composure 5 but shooting 19, dribbling 18, off the ball etc. All the stats you would get with a top class player but hamstrung by weird discrepencies in their profiles.

I think its been said a few times but this really needs fixing in 10.3. :mad:

The mental & hidden stats if checked with editor or FMscout are generally appalling as well.

The problem lies in the fact that there is no correlation between high PA and good mental stats & hiddden stats.

Get your scouts (as many as possible and with different knowledge) to scouts -18 leagues in the countries you like. I would recommend Belgium, Netherlands, Norwegia,... those kind of countries where young talented players will cost you peanuts.

FYI Norvegia is a cheese.. Norway is the country. That being said, i do recommend Norvegia - very tasty indeed.

One thing I've learnt, which was actually really obvious and I stupidly never noticed it, is the star ratings. Example:

Regen 1 - Current Rating: * Potential Rating: ****

Regen 2 - Current Rating: *** Potential Rating: ****

Which one is better? It's actually the first one, because it shows he can improve more than the second one. It's deceptive that the second regen looks like he should be better just because he has 3 stars for his current ability.

I've found much better players using this method of looking at star ratings. Basically the bigger the gap, the better they'll be.

So my youth CBs with 1 star CR and 3.5 stars PR really do have some potential... :D

Scout Spain and Brazil (minimum release clauses), Scandinavia, and Belgium. Also try and raid the unsigned youth prospects from your rivals and pay compensation if you can afford to...

I've just got the England U21 job and have found a fair few good young prospects hovering around in the National pool, as well as the U20's and U19's... Also I'd recommend just checking the U19 squads of major nations every so often and sorting them by age and have a look at the youngest players in there.

I set my scouts to scout specific countries that produce talent on a consistent basis ie Italy, spain, england etc. Make sure you set the scout to search for a maximum age of 18. I usually pick up decent regens doing this.

Meh the scouting system is kinda flawed, so good luck if you expect to find good newgens...

In my save I had been scouting Scandinavia since day 1, and of course my scout(s) somewhat managed to miss the best Danish prospect of the decade, who got signed by Udinese before he even made a single appearence for FCK.

And all of that happened while my scouts were flooding my inbox with reports about useless 2* players or with players I didn't need a report about, as I knew them all too well.

P.S.

Norvegia is a cheese

Off topic of the year! :D

I don't recommend Brazilian regens, they are valued at about £2,500,000-£10,000,000 but most of them have a minimum fee release clause ranging around £15,000,000-£30,000,000.

They are really expensive.

For a League 2-Conference North/Conference South: Oceanian players like Benjamin Totori.

Championship: Nikki B. Nielsen from Denmark (FC Nordsjaelland)

Premiership: Try Looking for International U21, U20, U19 internationals especially in Europe

League 1: Similar players to League 2, try looking in MLS, Hyundai A-League and in China and Hong Kong.

All-Star Recommendation: Fernando Guerrero, 1k from Independiente (On loan at a Premier League Club), be sure to snap him up quickly, he is always in high demand on FM2010.

Archived