The secret of success

tak

Alex Ferguson was made an honorary patron of Trinity College Dublin's Philosophical Society. Ferguson greeted hordes of students as he entered the Graduates Memorial Building to a standing ovation.

More importantly, he revealed the secret of his success:

Control is very very important because if I lost control of all these multi-millionaires in my dressing room, I'm dead. So, if anyone steps out of my control, they're dead

Indeed this is exactly what management at the higher level is.

I would like to initiate a civilised and thorough discussion of how real life management at the higher level, can be implemented into FM.

Thank you very much, and let us begin!

You need to have like-minded players. In their personality I tend to like to have Professional, Determined and Resilient. Sometimes I get a world class player but their personality is Unsporting or something else not so pleasant. That leads to an unhappy locker room.

Tomer, did you hear what Sir Alex said? Are you blasphemus?

That's not really a response to what I asked, but okay. I did not hear him speak at Trinity College Dublin (probably what you're referring to) and I do practice blasphemy since it's a lot of fun (and a whole different subject). Let us not drift off-topic though!

Point I was trying to make is that you want a discussion about how to implement that (manager personality, player personality, media personality, better and more interaction between those personalities) in FM, which is fair enough, but it seems that you're again unwilling to lead by example. There are better ways to ignite a discussion than by saying 'Let us begin' and wait for others to do the work.

It is a mistake to think that I "wait for others to do the work". There are a lot of obstacles to overcome first. Remember how initialy most people would come back in anger saying that management is not as important as tactics? It took us more than a month to get over that and realise the value of management as voiced by Sir Alex recently. Now we are more equiped to proceed. Some changes are not easy....

It is a mistake to think that I "wait for others to do the work". There are a lot of obstacles to overcome first. Remember how initialy most people would come back in anger saying that management is not as important as tactics? It took us more than a month to get over that and realise the value of management as voiced by Sir Alex recently. Now we are more equiped to proceed. Some changes are not easy....

I think a lot of that is down to a lack of explanation what you'd like to see in-game for this supposed 'leap of faith'. I still have no idea how the discussion went to MBA and whatnot, but I'm sure that with some concrete examples of this you would've saved a lot of abuse and bickering. I don't see any obstacles whatsoever for you to post ideas that could (or could not) be implemented in FM.

If you don't agree, fine, but in that case I don't see this thread going anywhere. People are a bit tired of the name 'tak', I would think.

Now we are more equiped to proceed.

Why don't you?

Into FM I would add that a very important factor, beside the obvious ones like skills, morale etc... is IMO applying turnover.

Always, fresh players perform better then tired ones even if they have lower attributes.

On the contrary. For entertainment value, his threads are the best GD has on offer right now, imo. I was kinda sad when the 'leap of faith' was closed, even though it was the right decision.

Best entertainment value?

Hmm... what about Puevlo's threads?

Are we assuming that deep knowledge of football is not an important or relevant technique towards controlling his squad?

Alex Ferguson was made an honorary patron of Trinity College Dublin's Philosophical Society. Ferguson greeted hordes of students as he entered the Graduates Memorial Building to a standing ovation.

More importantly, he revealed the secret of his success:

Control is very very important because if I lost control of all these multi-millionaires in my dressing room, I'm dead. So, if anyone steps out of my control, they're dead

Indeed this is exactly what management at the higher level is.

I would like to initiate a civilised and thorough discussion of how real life management at the higher level, can be implemented into FM.

Thank you very much, and let us begin!

Control and respect of course, but you need to earn that, you can' buy it.

as far as i believe only a few people agreed with you that motivational skills which was your main argument are more important than tactic's in your leap of faith thread, i think most people would agree that man management is important.

as for your comment about SAF and what he said, i have read a bit in the paper, nowhere did i see him saying man management was more important than XYZ, what i read was how he has total control every aspect of the football club and when he was managing at the beginning of his career he had to much and could sometimes miss the more important things or finer details

my biggest problem tak is you type a lot but actually say nothing, you pull out meaningless quotes as if they some how back up your theory's when either not fully understanding what they mean or you have taken the quote out of context, as for the comment about you wait for others to post then use that as if its your own ideas, well that's all you did in your leap of faith thread, well apart from making up your "believable story" ;)

im not fully sure what you are getting at with this and the quote from SAF, but from what i read he means that if a player steps out of line in a big way he will deal with it usually by selling them off at the first opportunity, i give you Jaap Stam and ruud van nistelrooy as examples.

Blaupunkt, I understand your attempt to throw smokescreens and confuse the matter but Sir Alex's words was crystal clear. Please read his exact quotation in my opening post. There really is no way that you can manufacture an alternative meaning from those crystal clear words, but I salute you for trying. Most of the other little pyramids have not even attempted that. Even the great teacher had nothing to say other than "knowledge of football is important". I don't think that he or you, or the pyramids, have a single clue about high level real life football management.

Archived