Economic Model

I will keep this short.

I think it is reasonable to say that after 5 years into the game you will have more money than you know what to do with. E.g I am Everton. Known for their lack of transfer funds. First season my star purchase was Gago for 5mil. 4 seasons in I bought Aguero for 52mil in the summer and Pjanic for 40mil in the Jan window with money left over. Now I am bored of the game because my new budget is another 60mil and I can buy anyone I want.

my point is too much money in the game, the in game economy is unbalanced meaning that the funds generated by each club exceed those which are drawn upon (by wages and upkeep) meaning 10 years in you will be a superclub. I don't know how people can play like this eg started as real/chelsea/barca/man utd/city.... then again I guess LLM will say the same about me being Everton.

At start of game when you first load up there should be an options for a game economy or a real life economy with ebs and flows in attendances (not just performance based) economic instabilty reflected in TV revenue/ shirt sales / sponsorship deals..... ect.

before everyone gets carried away giving me a hard time it is a huge part of real life (man utd-Glazers fiasco / Liverpool) that while not needed at the extremes of these examples, would give more importance to keeping tabs on purchasing players and wages.... I'll be honest at the moment I pay whatever the club asks and whatever wages they ask to get my man.... cuz I can...

I thin that you make some good points here, particularly with regards to how easy it is to become a superclub while having limited success. As an example, I play with Hibs in Scotland and had a transfer budget of somewhere around £11M last season (2014-5). The best finish I've had is runner up in the league and haven't made any massive sales of players. It's simply too easy to make money and the outgoings, as the OP points out, aren't realistic. I love Hibs dearly in real life, but they ain't going to be sitting on £11M in the next five years.

There is a lot more work to your idea than you'd think to be honest. Creating a realistic economic model would have to be done spot on as if it was done incorrectly the consequences could be disastrous, teams with no money at all suddenly for example.

I'd like to see it as it would be one step towards my ultimate goal, dynamic league reputation.

I think people forget, when concerning club finances, these are only realistic at the start of any save. Once you get your grubby mitts into the game, transferring, sacking etc, you are taking the game out of the bounds of realism.

Yeah, to a point. But when your progressing through your own FM world, you don't wan't unrealistic things happening.

Real life managers don't have a list they can access online to determine what players are the next big stars that they can get at bargain prices. All they know is what their scouts tell them about their current ability; there's no guarantee that they will be able to develop them. Unlike FM where we have a good understanding of what youngsters we can get for cheap.

At start of game when you first load up there should be an options for a game economy or a real life economy with ebs and flows in attendances (not just performance based) economic instabilty reflected in TV revenue/ shirt sales / sponsorship deals..... ect.

Been looking for this option and cannot find it anywhere????

Real life managers don't have a list they can access online to determine what players are the next big stars that they can get at bargain prices. All they know is what their scouts tell them about their current ability; there's no guarantee that they will be able to develop them. Unlike FM where we have a good understanding of what youngsters we can get for cheap.

I don't think that's the main cause. Even when you spend 50m every window, you still have money left. And it's not like you got sugar daddy or anything. Your club simply earn so much more than they are losing! IRL, a lot of clubs are struggling financially and are having to sell before buying.

I think it adds to the aspect of being a game. People want to manage their favorite clubs to Champions League glory. Do you see Wigan getting a Champions League spot within the next 10 years? I would think not, but in Football Manager it allows a Wigan fan to take their team to a Champions League spot in say, 3 seasons? And it starts generating more money for the player to make the player have a little better time. If real life finances were incorporated your game would almost become boring with how little money you had to work with, with some teams.

To be fair, you would have qualified for the Champions League repeatedly and your budget reflects that. It just means Everton have become one of the Sky Four on your game (and admittedly, on mine).

Furthermore, Everton have very little debt believe it or not. Most of your earnings will go straight into the transfer kitty once you're in the CL.

I thin that you make some good points here, particularly with regards to how easy it is to become a superclub while having limited success. As an example, I play with Hibs in Scotland and had a transfer budget of somewhere around £11M last season (2014-5). The best finish I've had is runner up in the league and haven't made any massive sales of players. It's simply too easy to make money and the outgoings, as the OP points out, aren't realistic. I love Hibs dearly in real life, but they ain't going to be sitting on £11M in the next five years.

How did you get that much to spend at Hibs? I'm in the same season at you, and also like you haven't finished better than 2nd in the league, having only won the League cup twice and nothing more, my budget is about £2 mill each season. Now I know that Hibs are never even going to have that much to spend the way things look at the moment in real life but £11 mil?? Have you had a stadium expansion? Mine has gone up to 22,500 last season so maybe this will increase the revenue.

Edit to say, I think the best thing I can suggest to the OP is that he start a LLM game in the Blue Sq leagues, that should keep him going for a few seasons before he can think about becoming a super power.

There is a lot more work to your idea than you'd think to be honest. Creating a realistic economic model would have to be done spot on as if it was done incorrectly the consequences could be disastrous, teams with no money at all suddenly for example.

I'd like to see it as it would be one step towards my ultimate goal, dynamic league reputation.

I don't think it requires a new model, just scaling down the incomes. It's especially true for lower rep leagues like Portugal. From experience teams make waaay too much money there. IRL teams in those leagues don't make a profit each season if they don't sell players. In FM I've never felt forced to sell a player to balance the budgets.

Ok interesting points - Another point i'd like to add is that now i'm in the Champions league and earning mega-dollars, I cannot see an end to my earning potential and i guess this is the real point i was trying to make. I now can buy any player and beleive me i'm a terrible tactician, yet the players i afford will pull me through the games.

And to skoolblows me - So you would rather too much money then not enough thats fine, but its not realistic. You are not being rewarded in the current model for good performances and being thrifty, instead just staying in the prem league for long enough to buy stars after a few seasons....

I don't think it requires a new model, just scaling down the incomes. It's especially true for lower rep leagues like Portugal. From experience teams make waaay too much money there. IRL teams in those leagues don't make a profit each season if they don't sell players. In FM I've never felt forced to sell a player to balance the budgets.

Play as some 2nd/3rd tier clubs to see how much profit you get in Portugal lol. Some clubs go into debt so fast that even if you sold your entire squad it wouldnt work.

Archived