Stuttering in 2D classic mode fix!

After much futile searching I've finally found the fix for 2D classic mode running slowly/jerkily on my PC for no apparent reason. I've always been baffled as to why I was suffering this problem because 3D mode has always run fine on my PC and I've been all up to date with patches, drivers, etc. The problem has apparently been around since FM2005(!) and still doesn't have a proper solution. This workaround I've found was actually for FM2006 but luckily still worked for FM10. Finally, smooth performance in 2D mode!

Apparently the problem is something to do with high-end AMD processors not being utilised properly. To solve the problem the option "--power_save=0" needs to be added to the command line. To do this right-click on the FM10 shortcut on your desktop, and add the option after the shortcut to the executable. So for instance on my PC the shortcut has now been modified to read:-

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\fm.exe" --power_save=0

For a more detailed description of the workaround, plus some other possible solutions, look here:- http://www.sigames.com/sibase.php?type=view&id=176

Unfortunately this is a workaround, not a proper fix. I'm a bit worried about using it because it now seems to set my processor usage to 100% at all times. Is this healthy for my PC and is it a good idea to keep using this fix? Are there any better solutions or is there a chance of SI ever properly fixing the issue? At least I'm relieved to finally discover that the problem is a known issue and isn't the fault of the user after all.

I'd assume adding "power save" to the command is ordering the processor to save power. The program still needs the same processing for the game so whilst the power is being saved it's not surprisong its on 100% usage. Basically, it's having to work harder to account for lack of power.

I don't know much about computers so i could be very very wrong though :D

Archived