Play Like This When It Really Matters....

So apparently choosing this statement is the kiss of death for morale on your team.

I year 1 managing Rushen & Diamonds I mentioned it a couple of times after lopsided wins in preseason friendlies, not really stopping to pay attention to the effect, but I soon had a near player revolt on my hands and had to eat a lot of crow to get things calmed down.

Three years with Man United, I said it one time after a 9-0 preseason win over a Belgian minnow and the crap hit the fan. While the "Sit" button is now gone, I still get the prematch "a number of players appear to be struggling to motivate themselves to play for you because of personal issues"

Not sure what else I would have done to **** everybody off. We are doing well - I hand out the praise after matches and in the press. They did get mad a few weeks ago when I predicted we would win the league - but other than that not sure what my problem is

(did I mention I never wear trousers in the changing room?)

How about that I never brush my teeth? :D

But seriously folks, is that one comment really such a big deal?

It's ridiculous. I'd assume it would be taken as complimenting the way the team have played that match, yet all it does is destroy team harmony. Using it in a pre-season friendly effectively ruins that entire season - I've won the league twice in 4 seasons, and really struggled in 2 - the 2 seasons where I used this team talk were, of course, the ones where I severely struggled. Apparently one team talk at the end of a meaningless match against a lower league team means the entire team loses faith in you as a manager.

what is stupid is it dont seem 2 matter which team talk u use it can bite u in the backside. use the 'i expect a win' before an easy game and watch your team huff n puff to 0-0 at half time. use pleased or thrilled at half time and watch your team throw away a nice 2 goal lead. at the full time whistle use 'why cant u do this every week' and get a player revolt.

im sure this whole thing could be a lot better than it is

This type of team talk doesn't really need to be avoided, just used properly. It's a very specialized talk. I've used it only a couple times in my entire FM10 career thus far. Basically it's something you as a manager would say if your team have been in bad form and then suddenly win a match convincingly. Also, keep in mind the kind of team you are managing, meaning what is expected of them. If you are managing someone like Man U for example, then this team talk would be very applicable if the situation I described above is occurring. However, if you are managing a team that is average or even one who is expected to fight against relegation, well in that case there's almost no point in using this talk because it's expected for your team to struggle anyway, and if you just happen to get a good result every now and then, just be happy.

So apparently choosing this statement is the kiss of death for morale on your team.

Three years with Man United, I said it one time after a 9-0 preseason win over a Belgian minnow and the crap hit the fan.

They won NINE - nil and you refused to say well done. Even if you'd said nothing, they probably would've got a little peeved that you were so churlish, but to gloss over an impressive victory and talk only about their complacency and form is demanding in the extreme.
I alternate "wish luck" and "for the fans."

My GK and DR are often "fired up" by the fans for some reason.

Your club is probably on their "favoured" list, or if not, then it has earned some "favoured" points, just not enough to make it visible on the list - FMRTE would confirm (if you use it).

It's ridiculous. I'd assume it would be taken as complimenting the way the team have played that match, yet all it does is destroy team harmony.

If you want to compliment them, say "well done." What you did was have a go at them about their complacency and form.

If your team were on a good run and growing gradually less effective and more complacent, you might use such a wake-up call.

If your team were on a bad run of form, then finally won one, and you wanted to ensure they stayed equally committed to getting their next win, you might have cause for such a talk.

But firing warnings at a team that has just got the job done is a risky thing to do.

Think of Phil Brown making the players sit on the pitch like schoolchildren against Tottenham, and all the mess that happened afterwards.

(Of course, he also took away their dartboard and kettle, but FM doesn't have that option, so everything has to be inferred from teamtalks and media.)

He was such a demanding dickhead over what should be a fairly routine occurrence - a mediocre performance by a low-end prem club, that all his players turned on him. If he'd pulled the same trick when they were WINNING a game, I don't think he'd still be manager.

It's one of those team-talks that you must absolutely avoid, along with a few more, and there goes the team-talk feature. ;)

Yup, it does seem every answer you choose always ends up working against you, pretty pointless really imo. Would be nice to have a new feature for once that doesn't destroy your teams morale.

I think this thread simply highlights the confusion over teamtalks. Most people (myself included) don't really understand the implications of each option. The whole player interaction module seems a bit messed up. I signed Dzeko in my Milan save and said in the press conference that his signing would be a massive confidence boost for the club. About 6-7 first team players had a problem with that but it wouldn't specify what the problem was.

Would SI actually telling us what each teamtalk was designed to do really be so bad? It's not an exact science but it might give us some hints and help to further develop that part of the game. There was a thread a few months ago where one of the developers said that saying nothing at half-time was a perfectly valid approach in many instances. The number of replies along the lines of "I never would have thought of that" shows you something is wrong with people's understanding of the teamtalks feature.

Once the effects of team talks are diminished, we will finally have a great manager sim. In my opinion team talks, conferences and player interactions are a terrible and poorly designed aspect of the game.

I actually have to agree with this. At one stage in FM09, I was convinced team talk motivation is so crucial that, without using it properly, you could lose almost every game no matter who you are.

In FM10, they're not as bad as that, but it's still pretty extreme.

Why take out something that is used in real life? This game is supposed to be realistic.

There are managers out there that are not master tacticians but just good managers, they can read their players and know how and when to motivate them to get 100%. For instance if you have a cocky player you need to put him in place, straighten him out so he realizes that he needs to work for the team (eg. Robinho) Or you have a player that has been subject to bad man management over the years and is nervous/timid who just needs love, so you give it too him. (Eg. Darren Bent)

It happens in the real world in business, and happens in football so why not Football 'Manager'. I agree though that the features need improved. Its hard to get across what you want to say, with only a few items.

Why take out something that is used in real life? This game is supposed to be realistic.

There are managers out there that are not master tacticians but just good managers, they can read their players and know how and when to motivate them to get 100%. For instance if you have a cocky player you need to put him in place, straighten him out so he realizes that he needs to work for the team (eg. Robinho) Or you have a player that has been subject to bad man management over the years and is nervous/timid who just needs love, so you give it too him. (Eg. Darren Bent)

It happens in the real world in business, and happens in football so why not Football 'Manager'. I agree though that the features need improved. Its hard to get across what you want to say, with only a few items.

I'm not saying take the feature out, but rather implement it in a way that it would be beneficial (or at least so that it works properly if logic is applied) to the manager. Just like certain features over the years have been revamped (tactics, match engine, match view/representation to name a few), this is one of the features that should be next in line for a revamp, in my opinion.

I'm not saying take the feature out, but rather implement it in a way that it would be beneficial (or at least so that it works properly if logic is applied) to the manager. Just like certain features over the years have been revamped (tactics, match engine, match view/representation to name a few), this is one of the features that should be next in line for a revamp, in my opinion.

Yeah I thought a few posters above were saying to remove them entirely.

But yes, I totally agree with you. It has been an area that has been neglected for quite some time. For instance, something that I bring up a fair bit, you can only say a negative comment to a manager that you play against in the champions league....thats pretty poor.

Archived