Commentary in FM ?

After a quick search, it was CM2.

CM2 was quite a leap forward, in terms of graphics, from previous versions. The game now had SVGA graphics and photorealistic background pictures. Possibly the most notable new feature was the one which is widely regarded as a big mistake - the audio commentary engine. As well as the traditional text-based match commentary, there was also optional voice commentary, provided by famous British football commentator Clive Tyldesley. The major criticism of this was that there were not enough comments and it quickly got stale and repetitive. Also, to use the audio commentary the games had to be "viewed" at a very slow speed.

If football Manager had FiFa gameplay ( 3d matches with commentary ) graphics it would be complete ..

FIFA is supposed to create the illusion that you are watching a live match on TV (and it does a bloody good job as well). FM is supposed to create the illusion that you are a football manager standing on the sideline watching your team. I don't know of any manager in the world who turns on the TV mid-match to hear the commentary.

Daft idea imo which would not add realism, it would make us feel even more detached from the 'job'.

EDIT: but I would sincerely love FM to have FIFA's match graphics. We can dream.

• SI Staff
FIFA is supposed to create the illusion that you are watching a live match on TV (and it does a bloody good job as well). FM is supposed to create the illusion that you are a football manager standing on the sideline watching your team. I don't know of any manager in the world who turns on the TV mid-match to hear the commentary.

Daft idea imo which would not add realism, it would make us feel even more detached from the 'job'.

EDIT: but I would sincerely love FM to have FIFA's match graphics. We can dream.

If that was the case you wouldn't get the text commentary either ;)

Any spoken commentary would have to be so generic that it doesn't mention player or team names (as there are far too many of those in the database) and be translated into the numerous languages we release the game in. Not too sure it would be that great as I think it was generic commentary that was in CM2. And you would have to watch the game at "normal" speed for it to be worthwhile.

Hi Ter. Just wondering from what you said... would it be a viable option for you to produce an add-on programme with comentary on with say different versions people could buy individually. For instance a comentary add-on pack for all English divisions. This would negate the need to add in every players name and would surely be a much more achievable product. Maybe if the game you were watchingwas outside your chosen country then the vocal comentary option would just be greyed out.

I know that in the past the comentary became repetetive but I would have thought with much more powerful machines these days it would be possible to make a more realistic pack.

If that was the case you wouldn't get the text commentary either ;)

I've already said before that I don't like the text commentary, it's far too repetitive and annoying. I watch the match, I can see what is going on by that and match stats, and I certainly don't need to read that my player "puts the ball into row Z", when in actual fact the ball just about rolled across the line for a throw in.

I does help though to know whats going on. Eg. How a player fouled another player, what the result from that was, whos dominating, so on.

I suppose so, but match stats will also tell you who is dominating. As for who fouled who and all that, could just look at the match incidents.

One thing that does annoy me is that the commentary doesn't even have the good grace to tell you one of your players are injured, how bad it looks etc. Obviously it indicates when someone has to come off, but there are other types of injuries that are ignored.

I suppose so, but match stats will also tell you who is dominating. As for who fouled who and all that, could just look at the match incidents.

One thing that does annoy me is that the commentary doesn't even have the good grace to tell you one of your players are injured, how bad it looks etc. Obviously it indicates when someone has to come off, but there are other types of injuries that are ignored.

That's true but I usually read the commentary because I don't know whether or not it was a handball or a foul when I'm watching a bunch of circles standing next to each other because I play in 2D

The trouble with commentary in sports games is that it soon becomes very repetitive and boring. I always turn the commentators off.

Tiger Woods PGA 2005 has the best commentary I've ever heard in any sports game.

David "Fairway" Feherty and Gary McCourt were some team. Shame they have since been replaced by Sad sack and that other mundane bitch. Zzzzzzzz.....

going slightly off the op, wasn't someone on here creating a commentry pack to replace the standard text we get at the moment?

Yeah they've done that, but lots of people getting errors that haven't been fixed. In all honesty it wasn't all that either tbh.

Archived