Work Permit timetable

So I signed a player on the recommendation that his work permit would be approved on appeal. The original attempt was in fact denied -and i was told i can "loan him out in the meantime" -

I signed the player on deadline day. How long will I have to wait for the appeal?

If the appeal is denied? Will the transfer then be negated and will I get my 32 million pounds back?

Cause if I don't.........I'm dead meat.

He is shown as being under contract to me. On Aug. 31 I got a message saying we have appplied for a work permit to be granted. The decision will be made on Friday 31 Aug. 2012.

Just after that the next message reads "application for a work permit for his move has been turned down. He will be unable to play for Man Utd. but can be loaned out to another clu bin the meantime. (I took meantime to mean between now and the appeal)

The next one says the deal can now be be completed - and I confirmed the deal.

The next message says Man Utd sign Otamendi

and the next say i am enjoying the adulation of the fans after securing the signature - fans are delighted that he will soon be strutting his stuff and cannot wait to see the 24-year old in action.

Now it is Sept. 12 and he still has that WP next to his name and if I select him it turns up in red.

So how long does the appeal usually take, or what else have I missed? I can't see what I would "wrongly click" to make an impossible transfer go through.

He is shown as being under contract to me. On Aug. 31 I got a message saying we have appplied for a work permit to be granted. The decision will be made on Friday 31 Aug. 2012.

Just after that the next message reads "application for a work permit for his move has been turned down. He will be unable to play for Man Utd. but can be loaned out to another clu bin the meantime. (I took meantime to mean between now and the appeal)

The next one says the deal can now be be completed - and I confirmed the deal.

The next message says Man Utd sign Otamendi

and the next say i am enjoying the adulation of the fans after securing the signature - fans are delighted that he will soon be strutting his stuff and cannot wait to see the 24-year old in action.

Now it is Sept. 12 and he still has that WP next to his name and if I select him it turns up in red.

So how long does the appeal usually take, or what else have I missed? I can't see what I would "wrongly click" to make an impossible transfer go through.

No... the "loan till he gets a permit" option means that you buy him but accept that he cant play for you until he gets a permit... usualy by playing in a EU country with a short work permit system (Belgium for instance... 3 years).

Once you accept that option its assumed that you are going to loan him out to another club... they dont try and appeal his initial permit denial.

Ive had that a few times, signing someone only to not read the fine print and realise that they are...

A. Too young and cant move for years (bought a 15 year old Brazilian and couldnt play him till he turned 18).

B. Cant get a work permit so i had to get a loan team in another EU country to take him on for X years.

C. That the transfer isnt instant and that hes not due to sign till the next window.

It pays to read the text completely before agreeing any deal with FM.

No, it is not a bug. As I said before, if you make the offer too close to the deadline, then you don't give the FA enough time to get an appeal process done. It's been like this in all the past FMs. However, if you offer him a new contract, he probably will get the work permit.

is that a bug?

You need to play (these may not be up-to-date rules) 75% of international matches (may be senior only, may be any level) in the last 2 years whilst the nation is in the top 70 of the world rankings for any non-EU nation. He may have played the %age of games after the internationals in the autumn/winter to be granted a work permit. Loaning him out if you have a WP feeder club from Spain, Belgium or Poland and getting a dual nationality may be the only way to get an EU passport whilst still being at your club.

OK - I understand the work permit rules and who is eligible. As I mentioned in my first post - my scout told me he would get a work permit on appeal - so I went ahead.

He is definitely already signed and on the books and I never saw and still don't see a "loan till he gets a permit" option anywhere.

I've offered him the new contract (650,000 signing bonus - *#&(@&) - so let's see what happens.

IRL, spending the whole transfer budget on a guy who is not eligible would be grounds for immediate railroading.

That I'm even allowed to doesn't seem right - but this his has been a great game thus far.

However, if you offer him a new contract, he probably will get the work permit.

You are right. He signed the new contract and the WP just disappeared, nothing about a work permit, no appeal, nothing - he's just eligible now.

So to me that is a bug.

Not that I'm complaining this time......

Was there any international games between you signing him and him signing the contract?

Well isn't that something - there were in fact 2 and he played in both. He had been in every game Argentina played going back almost a year - 8 games total.

When he signed the 2nd contract there was no mention of a work permit or anything like that - he just became eligible.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived