Thank you SI from a long-time fan

Dear all at S.I. and other forumites;

Having had a look around here it seems that 99% of the posts are people whinging about the game or demanding instant satisfaction and gratification rather than being prepared to put in the work and see it flourish for themselves.

It's amazing with the amount of vitriol and negativity on some of these boards that anything ever gets done because having such an unappreciative and over-demanding audience must, at times, be quite galling.

So, from a long time fan, Thank you all at Sports Interactive, you do a fabulous job and I'd really rather not think of a world, Hell, even an install without Football Manager.

From someone who played Kevin Toms' original namesake way back in 1984 and loved every minute of it, whose most treasured game on the Amiga was first Championship Manager and then Champ. Man Italia and who waited years for CM2 (and longed for the aborted CM All-stars even though it would have been great!)

Thank you for allowing me to fulfil my dreams with, without a doubt, the most comprehensive, accurate and thrilling management simulation.

KUTGW S.I. icon14.gif

Having had a look around here it seems that 99% of the posts are people whinging about the game or demanding instant satisfaction and gratification rather than being prepared to put in the work and see it flourish for themselves.

It's amazing with the amount of vitriol and negativity on some of these boards that anything ever gets done because having such an unappreciative and over-demanding audience must, at times, be quite galling.

So, from a long time fan, Thank you all at Sports Interactive, you do a fabulous job and I'd really rather not think of a world, Hell, even an install without Football Manager.

From someone who played Kevin Toms' original namesake way back in 1984 and loved every minute of it, whose most treasured game on the Amiga was first Championship Manager and then Champ. Man Italia and who waited years for CM2 (and longed for the aborted CM All-stars even though it would have been great!)

Thank you for allowing me to fulfil my dreams with, without a doubt, the most comprehensive, accurate and thrilling management simulation.

KUTGW S.I. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bumble:

From someone who played Kevin Toms' original namesake way back in 1984 and loved every minute of it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a copy of this for the BBC sat on my desk. Cassette for the win \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bumble:

From someone who played Kevin Toms' original namesake way back in 1984 and loved every minute of it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a copy of this for the BBC sat on my desk. Cassette for the win \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We got a BBC Micro in the early 1990s and I had the original FM. I must've been about seven or eight. Played it non-stop. It was awesome!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No amount of work makes the AI stop paying 35+ year old players (whose ability has gone done a ludicrous amount) £100,000p/w.

There's a large number of people here who aren't interested in instant wins. They just want the game to actually function and look something like real life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

I have a copy of this for the BBC sat on my desk. Cassette for the win \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:Cassette Noise: Duuuhhhhhhhhh-der-Duhhhhhhhhhhhh :Cassette Noise:

Great days, not only did you get a great game, scared by a man with a huge beard, but also early Techno music.

Not only does it have a name in common, but both games made me run out of the room unable to watch because it's that tense.

I remember upgrading my Amstrad to a colour monitor and thinking 'Wow! Coloured kits!'

Nowadays people are whinging because it doesn't look like Sky.. ^^

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

No amount of work makes the AI stop paying 35+ year old players (whose ability has gone done a ludicrous amount) £100,000p/w.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the same goes for the poor and inconsistent quality of regens, the ai being unable to build squads for the future, the mls and other leagues having massive bugs in them, certain attributes being far too important (pace in particular), defensive ai being heavily flawed, and so on

there have been a few threads like this, and they never actually touch on the individual issues people have complained about - they just try and complain that anyone unsatisfied by the game is somehow lazy and at fault

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the same goes for the poor and inconsistent quality of regens, the ai being unable to build squads for the future, the mls and other leagues having massive bugs in them, certain attributes being far too important (pace in particular), defensive ai being heavily flawed, and so on

there have been a few threads like this, and they never actually touch on the individual issues people have complained about - they just try and complain that anyone unsatisfied by the game is somehow lazy and at fault </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's not about saying people are lazy and at fault, it's about the fact people are unwilling to take anything positive away from something and only focus on the negatives which goes to show what an ungrateful lot some people can be.

Yes, there are flaws but they do not break the game, they do not make it unplayable and 95% of the time it's a damn fine and enjoyable experience. However, rather than consistent, constructive criticism, they whinge and whine and moan when they should be looking at changing the way they play the game.

No, you are not going to blow everyone away. Yes, you do have to work at your tactics, but no one ever said it was going to be easy and you'd romp away with everything.

Life and football is not a pre-ordained series of mathematical functions where A + B = C and FM does a damn good job of imitating it without laying in to a strict law of if X + Y happen then Z will happen.

However, I would rather people be positive and grateful for what they have when the alternatives could be a Hell of a lot worse. Look at all the people clamouring for a 8.0.2 - 'I want it naOW!' - Spoilt brats who do not have patience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

there have been a few threads like this, and they never actually touch on the individual issues people have complained about - they just try and complain that anyone unsatisfied by the game is somehow lazy and at fault </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply not true KRS. No one is saying unsatisfied gamers are lazy or at fault, well not from my interpretation of this thread, merely that our fondness of S.I. products past and present needs airing from time to time.

I'm overly aware not everyone is satisfied with the latest installment (see every other thread on this forum) that is why this post is so refreshing. Perhaps I'm just a nostalgic optimist, if such a thing is possible...?

Im 16 and have been playing for about 5 years.

Its surprising how some people look down on young gamers because 'im a kid' even though im sure i show the same hard work with scouting and tactics as the older gamers.

But on a lighter not, i love Football Manager, its not perfect, but what is ? its THE BEST football management game there is.

Well done S.I icon14.gif

SI are a class bunch. Every time I've had a problem with one of their products, they've worked with me to fix it. They listen to customer feedback and patch their games accordingly. I was upset when they pulled the plug on Riz and EHM due to piracy, and it's too bad they'll no longer have a hand in the OOTP series.

Fortunately, FM is still just as challenging (if not more so) and detailed as ever.

So good job, SI. Please keep listening to our negative feedback, but don't let the whiners get you down. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robin_trott_hoof:

The good far outweighs the bad so icon14.gif. Otherwise I'm sure we'd be stuck with something far inferior.

But I'd like to add that The Double and Tracksuit Manager were far better early management games than the early eighties Football Manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stone the Blasphemer!

*ahem*

I do have a soft spot for Footballer of the Year and Footballer of the Year 2 by Gremlin, they were a lot of fun too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

Thanks for the kind feedback - it's much appreciated by all. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what I think it calls for?

Tell us when the patch is out! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by robin_trott_hoof:

Ha! FOTY was great fun, I never even knew there was a sequel. What did it add? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well rather than just hoofing the ball from an FPS perspective and hoping you scored, it came down to the use of 'goal cards', and each card had a prescribed tactic in order to score, and you had to carry it out.

You could choose whether to spend goal cards per match (0-3) and you had to be careful because they cost money to buy and ... yeah, it was great. Teams would buy you and you'd be thinking Oh great, I'm hot property, then have a barren spell and they'd offload you - smart

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

Thanks for the kind feedback - it's much appreciated by all. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You very welcome icon_smile.gif

The good far outweighs the bad so icon14.gif. Otherwise I'm sure we'd be stuck with something far inferior.

But I'd like to add that The Double and Tracksuit Manager were far better early management games than the early eighties Football Manager. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfft Football Director was far better, think that was around '84? icon_wink.gif

KUTGW S.I. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so you are saying that if you are a 'yes' man then you are fan, if you complain then you are a lazy ass whinger?

its amazing when people complain about criticism not being constructive and probably rightly so.

on the other hand, is it ok to ramble on about being a long time fan and getting stuck into everyone else in the process????

btw...SI are guys are great...slightly frustrating but great

Thanks Nostromo - I'm still trying to find the bit where I insult everyone else.

If you read the forums, you will realise many people ask the same question many times over, are lazy, and refuse to blame anything but the game for 'faults'.

FM08 is a different breed of beast to all that has gone before, it's a more astute tactical game and whilst there is still a base 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' approach (particularly with 4-4-2)

All you see is 'OMG i got beat man, this game is broken! Fix it, fix it now!' (Apologies for spelling, punctuation and grammar in that example.)

Yes, there are problems, but as I said earlier in the thread; the amount of moaning, whinging and general *****ing that goes on is disproportionate to the amount of enjoyment people, in general, get from the game.

Very few people take the time to say 'Thanks guys, appreciate the good work you're doing, keep going at the patch, can't wait til it gets here but I'm having fun in the meantime.'

Yes, the audience is demanding, yes it is expectant, it does not however have to behave like a petulant three year old.

Oh I see, yes, that's where...

Thanks Nostromo - I'm still trying to find the bit where I insult everyone else.

If you read the forums, you will realise many people ask the same question many times over, are lazy, and refuse to blame anything but the game for 'faults'.

FM08 is a different breed of beast to all that has gone before, it's a more astute tactical game and whilst there is still a base 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' approach (particularly with 4-4-2)

All you see is 'OMG i got beat man, this game is broken! Fix it, fix it now!' (Apologies for spelling, punctuation and grammar in that example.)

Yes, there are problems, but as I said earlier in the thread; the amount of moaning, whinging and general *****ing that goes on is disproportionate to the amount of enjoyment people, in general, get from the game.

Very few people take the time to say 'Thanks guys, appreciate the good work you're doing, keep going at the patch, can't wait til it gets here but I'm having fun in the meantime.'

Yes, the audience is demanding, yes it is expectant, it does not however have to behave like a petulant three year old.

Oh I see, yes, that's where... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agree with everything you say mate.

Some people just can't handle the fact that their team loses on FM sometimes and its quite ridiculous. I wonder if these same people expect Sir Alex to resign and have a whinge at EPL officials, accusing Sven of cheating, for losing against Man City despite the Man U players having better stats on FM08.

SI deserve credit for the work they put into the game, well done SI, good to see some other people appreciating their work too. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you read the forums, you will realise many people ask the same question many times over, are lazy, and refuse to blame anything but the game for 'faults'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can give you three 'faults' from right out of the box that made the game ridiculous.

the closing down problem, penalty shoot out goin to 12+ without anyone scoring until the winning penalty, long distance shots going in from anywhere...oh yes, one more...scoring from near post...which is now a near impossibility.

so who would you blame for this? god, margaret thatcher, joe smith it brixton????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lofcuk:

I have been playing this game in its many flavours for years.

it's THE greatest computer game ever made. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should include "in my opinion...."

So you are a long time fan and registered only yesterday?!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">8.0.2 - 'I want it naOW!' - Spoilt brats who do not have patience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some people just can't handle the fact that their team loses on FM sometimes and its quite ridiculous. I wonder if these same people expect Sir Alex to resign and have a whinge at EPL officials, accusing Sven of cheating, for losing against Man City despite the Man U players having better stats on FM08 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love how these fan boys come out with one recent example of things that have happened which you may not expect, then crack on to those who claim the game is unrealistic because of this, but people know these things happen in real life, this is part of football, but what you dont seem to understand is that in football manager it happens all the time! which makes it unrealistic.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more with this sentance. We're all aware there are problems, but some people lately really do blow things out of proportion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by giblets_of_fire:

Even though i am a relative newbie ( i have only been playing since cm01/02) the game has grown me each year, to the point where i will now play 6 to 7 hours a day, every day.

So thanks SI you have ruined my education!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and my marriage

i have to say im proud to enjoy the FM series yes it has some flaws and gamers are entiltled to their own opinion but every other post is a rant or a whinge, i accept that there are problems but i see past them and still get just as addicted as before. Anyway thankyou SI without your hard work we wouldnt be playing such quality football management games at all and have to "suffer" with CM or some other carp!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcm:

So you are a long time fan and registered only yesterday?!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sigh* Yes, because things do exist in the past even if they aren't signed up to the SI Forums...

"are you sega?

are you sega?

are you sega in disguise?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Leeburn:

"are you sega?

are you sega?

are you sega in disguise?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More likely to be Eidos come begging...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcm:

So you are a long time fan and registered only yesterday?!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sigh* Yes, because things do exist in the past even if they aren't signed up to the SI Forums... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I believe you.

*sigh* Yes, because things do exist in the past even if they aren't signed up to the SI Forums... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I believe you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look it's obvious you want to turn this in to some kind of slanging match, which, let's be honest is just about par for the course for the forums.

Of course, being such a ruthless and dedicated member of the forums yourself for the past six years or so it's nice to see your status is well, the same as mine: 'amateur'.

I never realised the date you joined the forum had such a significant effect on whether you had ever played the game before.

Look, here's a hint: pretend you've just started a new game, put in your D.o.B. and the computer has reset it to a more realistic one, then try and act like it. Otherwise move along and go pester the BBC Sport/606 forums with your pointless attempts at a wind up, 'amateur'.

Hi Bumble,

Couldn't have put your comments better myself. Evethough i may not be from the same era as you guys (back in '84 etc.. wasn't even a twinkle until 2 years later) but i have been ever faithful to the CM/FM series since CM2 96/97. I loved that game and now 12 years later i still haven't put the game down.

Of course SI have got a few things wrong with the games across the series but what games don't have bugs and need patches when first released??? SI still produce a top quality football management that i can get lost within. Isn't that what gaming is all about to enjoy yourself and to get immersed in its detail???

To be honest i can't be bothered to write anymore, ill just sit back with a cuppa and watch all the so called fans of fm rip this thread to pieces then whine on the 606 forums.

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Birch:

Hi Bumble,

Couldn't have put your comments better myself. Evethough i may not be from the same era as you guys (back in '84 etc.. wasn't even a twinkle until 2 years later) but i have been ever faithful to the CM/FM series since CM2 96/97. I loved that game and now 12 years later i still haven't put the game down.

Of course SI have got a few things wrong with the games across the series but what games don't have bugs and need patches when first released??? SI still produce a top quality football management that i can get lost within. Isn't that what gaming is all about to enjoy yourself and to get immersed in its detail???

To be honest i can't be bothered to write anymore, ill just sit back with a cuppa and watch all the so called fans of fm rip this thread to pieces then whine on the 606 forums.

Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your comments Lee and kind words. Don't worry about having missed the original FM, it just means we're old icon_frown.gif

Look it's obvious you want to turn this in to some kind of slanging match, which, let's be honest is just about par for the course for the forums.

Of course, being such a ruthless and dedicated member of the forums yourself for the past six years or so it's nice to see your status is well, the same as mine: 'amateur'.

I never realised the date you joined the forum had such a significant effect on whether you had ever played the game before.

Look, here's a hint: pretend you've just started a new game, put in your D.o.B. and the computer has reset it to a more realistic one, then try and act like it. Otherwise move along and go pester the BBC Sport/606 forums with your pointless attempts at a wind up, 'amateur'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert. Second, you play the game for years and never register, and then one day you register to thank SI.It's just a little suspisious, don't you think? icon_wink.gif

Look, here's a hint: pretend you've just started a new game, put in your D.o.B. and the computer has reset it to a more realistic one, then try and act like it. Otherwise move along and go pester the BBC Sport/606 forums with your pointless attempts at a wind up, 'amateur'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert. Second, you play the game for years and never register, and then one day you register to thank SI.It's just a little suspisious, don't you think? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*ahem*

I'm going to go through this step by step, slowly, using words with as few syllables as possible.

1) I never called you 'an expert'. Please don't flatter yourself.

2) Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise I must automatically register my account here on the forums and announce my presence to the Internet as a member of the CM/FM community.

3) Or, I could have been reading the forums for a long while and never felt the urge to participate with a registered account.

4) The word is 'suspicious'.

5) Now why is it suspicious that I come on here and actually want to do something positive? Maybe, just maybe, after having seen some of the wonderful depths of the community in the LlaMA and challenges boards; people like Dafuge, Kipfizh, Gundo, NepentheZ, Jimbo; the people in the Stories section; I wanted to be positive and say thanks to SI for all the good things we get from the game, year in year out.

6) Instead, I get flamed for, laughably, actually being positive, Good Lord!, nice from someone who has been a member of this community for SIX years who for all I know could be making a second or third post as his status is 'amateur' which obviously goes to show what an active participant he has been. Or not.

Jeebus wept! I just wanted to say 'Thanks S.I.' some people out there do appreciate you.

Apparantly however the paranoics are suspicious because despite the FIVE TRILLION threads complaining about the game, one post, that's ONE post is actually nice.

Seriously, do you not think someone from Sega or SI themselves would have a little more guile or a little more panache than that?

Wow. Really. Wow.

SI, keep up the good work, you do yourselves credit.

Nice rant Bumble, it's just a shame it was necessary. I'm sure it's not just us veterans (as in: old pokes who remember '84. lol) who appreciate the work S.I. do but being able to remember how bad some of those games were does put things in perspective, Emlyn Hughes Soccer anyone?...(says he reaching for his rose tinted spectacles)...

bcm- There is a thread at the moment on these forums where various members of the community, both old and new, have been sending their suggestions about how to make the forums a friendlier place.

Your attitude is one of the biggest problems around here.Bumble was making a perfectly reasonable comment and you, for some reason, decide to start a pitiful argument.

As a long time member yourself, you should know better. Who gives a rats backside when the guy registered. I didnt realise you had to be registered before a certain date to comment.

If your one of these lads that likes to 'prowl' the forums just to be a pain in the bum then please do us all a favour and grow up.

Archived