promotion "to do" list

1) Go to the search filter, and look for Contracts - Expiring (Three Months) (or Six Months longer term). Shortlist players that interest you and keep an eye on their activity. See what happens with their contract situation. Hopefully, they'll expire and be released. If not, offer them a contract beforehand on a Bosman - but their wages will be slightly higher and interest from other clubs could be a problem.

2) Go to all the clubs a level or two above you, and check the Transfer History for players they've released on a free. Look for experienced players who can add something to your team.

3) Have no loyalty whatsoever to your current squad. If someone isn't good enough, wait for the transfer window to begin and cash in on their inflated transfer fee in the new division.

4) Build confidence in pre-season by playing several home games against really easy opposition immediately prior to your first league game.

Try and get some good loans too. Some good youngsters from the prem and championship should be willing to come. Dont filter out unrealistic targets. Theres not much differance between leauge 2 and the BSand you should be able to attract a slightly better standard of player now.

Yep, see if you can improve the coaches and scouts.

1) Go to the search filter, and look for Contracts - Expiring (Three Months) (or Six Months longer term). Shortlist players that interest you and keep an eye on their activity. See what happens with their contract situation. Hopefully, they'll expire and be released. If not, offer them a contract beforehand on a Bosman - but their wages will be slightly higher and interest from other clubs could be a problem.

2) Go to all the clubs a level or two above you, and check the Transfer History for players they've released on a free. Look for experienced players who can add something to your team.

3) Have no loyalty whatsoever to your current squad. If someone isn't good enough, wait for the transfer window to begin and cash in on their inflated transfer fee in the new division.

4) Build confidence in pre-season by playing several home games against really easy opposition immediately prior to your first league game.

These are very good :thup:

I'll add a few more comments:

1) Don't rush things. You will be able to get players cheaper once they have been released. Dare to not fill all empty slots in your squad before July 1st. If you have a full team by July 20th, it's good enough and that's easy to achieve.

2/4) Do you have a parent club already? Try and get one to get some more good loan players available to you.

3) Couldn't agree more, though it hurts. Those on a high salary and those with high values might even then be good sells if they would make it into the team, because a replacement might be even better. Get rid of anone costing you money which is not well spent.

5) Invest in a good assman and good scouts. In the assman, look for good scouting skills and for good tactical knowledge (not tactic coaching) as this could help a lot in letting him take over the oppo instructions. Coaches are far less important than the others.

6) Your scout reports can still be trusted, just take into account for which level they were made. The explanations of the ratings will still be valid, just the stars ratings obviously are not anymore.

Look at other squads and see the sort of players they have. Also look at Average Ratings - I will give anyone who has got 7.10 or above a place in my provisional starting XI for the next season and take it from there. Normally 3 or 4 changes, especially if some are getting old

Cant agree more get yourself a good Assistant manager, its a very underated role. If you have a decent one and go to the team report he will recommend where you are weak and recommend potential signings, for example my transfer budget was £0 and he still recommended some excellent players for me.

if u had same situation as me then u will have the lowest wage budget in the division and no transfer budget. scouting about is important as u never know what u might find. also try and stick within your budget, if players want far 2 much then dont go out your way to make them come, there are plenty of players who u can sign within your range.

i always tend to mix up the age of my squad but dont like to sign players over 30 as they seem to go down rapidly.

I disagree with this point to a certain degree. Sometimes it's better to keep old good gelled squad, rather than changing majority of elements.

Of course it's good to cut the dead wood, but that is something to deal with no matter if promoted.

I disagree with this point to a certain degree. Sometimes it's better to keep old good gelled squad, rather than changing majority of elements.

Of course it's good to cut the dead wood, but that is something to deal with no matter if promoted.

"If they aren't good enough" I said ;)

In FM09, I took Ternana to Serie A, got rid of pretty much everyone apart from about three players, brought in "decent" players from all over Europe and kept them in Serie A comfortably - in fact, mid-table.

It's a computer game at the end of the day, which is stat driven. If you can bring in a vastly superior player than the one currently in that position, you always do it - even if it means the entire squad.

I always used to make wholesale changes when I got promoted in the lower leagues. Signing at least 10 players in the summer and sometimes letting more go. Until I had to start paying for players of course.

Another good thing is to scout everysingle player in each of the Englalnd Trialists squads. The signings I made from these squads are what I base my success on. Especially on FM09, but it has been a little more difficult on FM10. But you're definately going to find something good in these squads. Even if you find players who wont sign for you, keep them on your shortlist as quite a few players still wont find a club during the next season and you may be able to sign them the season after.

so, to summarise, be bold, patient and ruthless.

Here's what I did:

1) allow scout contracts to expire & replace with better ones.

2) wait patiently for decent number of reports to collect.

3) demote ass man to coach & replace.

4) replace weakest players first.

5) look for bargains, freebies & loaners.

6) look for injury cover.

7) adjust tactics to account for new players. (ie wide midfielders)

8) thrash lower league teams in friendlies.

result: 7 new players in starting line-up + 2 bench-warmers, completely new system of play, several local heroes on transfer list, new back-room staff.

total spend: £7,000

It's working pretty well; 1 point away from play-off spot after 11 games, but I can't help feeling that it isn't "my" team any more.

so, to summarise, be bold, patient and ruthless.

Here's what I did:

1) allow scout contracts to expire & replace with better ones.

2) wait patiently for decent number of reports to collect.

3) demote ass man to coach & replace.

4) replace weakest players first.

5) look for bargains, freebies & loaners.

6) look for injury cover.

7) adjust tactics to account for new players. (ie wide midfielders)

8) thrash lower league teams in friendlies.

result: 7 new players in starting line-up + 2 bench-warmers, completely new system of play, several local heroes on transfer list, new back-room staff.

total spend: £7,000

It's working pretty well; 1 point away from play-off spot after 11 games, but I can't help feeling that it isn't "my" team any more.

Don't worry, those guys will become your team again soon :)

Archived