Asking for higher wages.

I have a massive amount of players and coaches with contracts near end (around 30 total). I usually don't worry about salaries too much, I give what they want (or sometimes 80-90% of what they want) and go about my day. But nearly every player under 28, and almost every coach/scout is requiring 150-200% of their current salary. Some of these are deserved, but others are a little insane. (35 year old Lampard asking for $150,000, Dzeko, on a $140K, asking for nearly double, a few coaches wanting $15K, some scouts wanting an increase from $3.3K to up to $11.3K, etc). Why is this? Is this a way of trying to ensure I don't keep a staff member for a long period without heavy pay increases?

Also, I have a ton of coaches and scouts being offered jobs from other teams, and I'm apparently asking for very little compensation. Some of my higher-end coaches are being eyed, and it says I will only get $30K in compensation, yet when I try to sign other coaches, it's usually in the hundreds of thousands, if not over a million. Why so?

As Tomer suggests its most likely due to a rapid increase in your reputation, eg. win the champs league or many other trophies in a season.

This could be a great time for a clean out, bring in your youth, sell some of the older players/under-performers and move on the coaches/scouts that can be replaced by younger regen/ex player ones.

Yeah, I'm in my 5th season and the board always states how the club stature has increased tremendously and also how I'm $1.4 mil under budget (I have a 100% under "club stature" and "club wages," I assumed it would catch up with me eventually. I just realized that the majority of my players are on their first contract renewal, since I essentially did do a clean sweep upon starting the game, and during my 3rd year. The first team players I've had since day 1 are Terry, Lampard, Ivanovic, Mikel, and Bosingwa. I just noticed Terry and Lampard, although they asked for pretty high wages, still took pretty big decreases from their previous contract due to their age, Ivanovic asked for $60K/w (previously $50K) and Boswinga (31) asked for less than his previous contract as well (went from $55K/w to $50K). So it seems the players who are asking for much more are the ones who have recently joined the club and witnessed the massive increase in stature and reputation, which makes sense that they would ask for more.

I just offered everyone new contracts, everyone accepted somewhere in the middle of what they were making and what they were asking for (other than the original first team members, who wouldn't budge on their demands).

I am always replenishing my youth and reserve squads, I spend about 25 million a season on young regens, and many of the players I have on my team are some of the best at their position, so I wouldn't really want to do a clean sweep, I'm still a lot under my alloted payroll.

I have a question for the coaches though. I have a pretty high standard when it comes to scouts/coaches, I try to get the best ones. So there aren't too many out there that I would want and who aren't already on my team. But when they ask for double their wages, I have a desire to sack them and go for someone of similar ability. Problem is, there is a high compensation (usually $250K) to sign them, which means it wouldn't be that big of a financial benefit to sign them as opposed to giving in to demands of my current coaches. Giving them an extra 2K/w for 2 years is cheaper than paying 250K to get someone at the decreased wage. Should I keep the same coaches?

obviously you are chelsea and obviously chelsea has deep pockets, especially 5 seasons in. In reality you have unlimited funds because you would have wage structure of 2mil a week and transfers of about 60mil per year and if you were to splash out on aguero or someone of the like, you would still have top calibre players to sell to recoup money. who cares if the coaches ask for twice as much?? you will still be under your budgets. At the big clubs there is no real need for any financial control, just league/cup success...

obviously you are chelsea and obviously chelsea has deep pockets, especially 5 seasons in. In reality you have unlimited funds because you would have wage structure of 2mil a week and transfers of about 60mil per year and if you were to splash out on aguero or someone of the like, you would still have top calibre players to sell to recoup money. who cares if the coaches ask for twice as much?? you will still be under your budgets. At the big clubs there is no real need for any financial control, just league/cup success...

True, but despite having unlimited pockets, I do like to keep the funds as low as possible. Last season I asked for new facilities, it was approved, but then at the end of the season they said they hadn't the funds to do it. So this season I'm keeping as much transfer money as possible, along with keeping wages low, and trying to make sure this isn't repeated. Also pretty soon I am thinking about starting a new save, possibly as Portsmouth, for a new challenge..and I'll need to have financial control there.

Archived