signed a player after watching him play well on TV

has anybody ever watched a live game on TV or been to a match and saw a player have a superb game, then when you get home, start up FM and sign the player.

i have, last week i watched a match between Racing Santander and Sevilla, and was very impressed by the youngster Sergio Canales, so when i went home i started up FM and signed him for €10M

been happy with him so far has made 66 apps, scored 11 goals and has 16 assists in 2 and a half seasons

has anybody else done this and did the player turn out to be a good piece of business or was the player a Nani(complete waste)

I did this for Maurouane Fellaini, i saw him playing for Standar Liege on tv and he looked class, so i searched him on FM08 and he looked qaulity 20 Heading 20 Strength and 19 Jumping and i got him for 2.3mil.

Then when Everton signed him in real life, i was like yeah... but i knew about him ages ago. :cool: ha ha

When ever i see a player do good on the TV i always search him on FM to see how he looks, and if he looks good then i try to sign him. :)

:D Haha, I have been doing this since CM01/02!

I always use to watch Eurogoals on EuroSport like it was a religion, and have my pc running at the same time. I was around 11 at the time, but this was like an awesome scouting tool for me, watching Sneijder score loads of free kicks for Ajax at his young age made me find him on CM and buy him!

has anybody ever watched a live game on TV or been to a match and saw a player have a superb game, then when you get home, start up FM and sign the player.

i have, last week i watched a match between Racing Santander and Sevilla, and was very impressed by the youngster Sergio Canales, so when i went home i started up FM and signed him for €10M

been happy with him so far has made 66 apps, scored 11 goals and has 16 assists in 2 and a half seasons

has anybody else done this and did the player turn out to be a good piece of business or was the player a Nani(complete waste)

I signed Canales aswell..:D

Always search for any player I don't have a lot of familiarity with but to be honest most that I see on TV or the internet don't fall into that category. On the other hand I World Soccer Magazine monthly & they have a section called talent scout with slightly more obscure players that are often worth a look.

I did this during my Barnet save on FM09. I saw John Parkin playing for Preston in the cup against a Premier League club. He was a big lump of a striker and that is exactly what I was looking for, so I checked him out in the game and he ended up signing for me on a free.

He went on to secure me consecutive promitions, but once in the Championshhip he just wasnt good enough so I sent him on his way. He was still my hero and a tear did roll down my cheek.

We love you John 'Fatty' Parkin!

I signed young goalkeeper Lasse Staw after some good matches in 2008 and have kept on signing him ever since, despite him not turning out [so far] as good as he was supposed to, also due to injuries.

Never actually done this actually, it's more the other way round for me - found a good player in FM and saw him move to a major club IRL, e.g. Henry, Saviola, Isaksson...

Btw, you played 66 games in a week? :eek:

Done this quite a few times.

My favourite scenario was when I watched Sporting v Manchester United and saw C.Ronaldo play. Also, and more so recently Jovetic - when he scored those two goals against Liverpool everybody was raving about him, it was all "BLAH BLAH BLAH" (copyright Lady Gaga)

When I'm watching football and see someone I never heard of (happens a lot on World cup, smaller teams in Champion's league etc) I always feel the urge to look him up and sign him somehow :p Very long time ago I tried to get Shevchenko and Rebrov when they still played at Dinamo Kiev. Had this with Ivanschitz when I saw Anderlecht play vs Rapid Wien, signed him with a Belgian club then, Edison Méndez on world cup (PSV signed him afterwards).

When I finally start my FM10 career after all the editor time I'll try to sign Dzagoev with Juventus :p

In earlier versions of the game, when players pictures were not included, I would often have my favorite sigings that i would bring in on most saves. This was until I saw them in real life! Fredi Bobic comes to mind. He was so ugly that I refused to ever sign him again, no matter how good his stats were!

I've done this, yeah...although, with Canales, I was a little irked he did so well because he's been fantastic for me two years in a row now for Grasshoppers, and I'm sure that in FM'11 he'll be out of my price range because he's doing so well.

Usually the players I notice end up not being that good on FM. I apparently cannot judge real-world talent very well. :(

For me it was the other way round, i remember finding tevez and mascherano on fm and then telling everybody i knew that they would join big teams and be amazing, this was about 6 years ago... im still reminded of it sometimes :)

Same here, I remember finding Mascherano on CM03/04 and raving to my friends about him, they all thought I was talking crap. Tevez I remember reading about in a World Soccer magazine in 2003 and signing him after that.

I actually did not know Canales in real life. I got him for free in my 2nd Wolves season. He is amazing with a fantastic left foot.

Archived