International Teams appointing unproven managers

More and more i am noticing national teams appointing managers who are completley unproven as thier coach.

not just small nations, big ones, ireland, england ect.

in this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=183047 the save game i did a helluva lot of managers in the histories were unproven.

in the save game i'm on atm, Ireland have just appointed a recently retired 36 y/o Martin Rowlands as national coach. He has not had a single managerial or even coaching position ever.

his stats are god awful, and the only things he's got going for him is the fact he had 3 irish caps. i applied for the job, and in game i've got a pretty damn good rep and got rejected.

anyone else notice this? cos this wouldnt ever happen irl

i'm not complaining about the fact i didnt get the job, its the fact that the AI keeps appointeing completley unknown/ unproven managers.

it's like if England, when capello leaves decide to appoint a just retired Ledley King or something. it wouldnt happen ina million years.

Umm, Maradona? ;)

yeah... I am worldwide known manager, and Croatia wont appoint me (they appoint some unknown manager Igor Knezevic, who had zero games for NT)... FM 11 must have much better international options...

Are you managing another national team? My reputation is only National and I got the Croatia job. When Bilic left, I applied and they weren't responding for some time but when I resigned from Nigeria, Croatia instantly approached me.

I had two years at AFC Wimbledon, got promoted the first season and then midtable in the 2nd season. My football history was "Sunday League". I just got the Belgium under-21 job.

I only applied for a laugh as I dint have much interest in the job or any affiliation with Belgium. I graciously accepted the offer and my new adventure in international management begins.

Van Basten jumped from Ajax B to the Dutch national team.

Italy hired Donadoni, who at the time had just 50 Serie A games under his belt, and at mid-bottom level of all things...

Of course it was a temporary solution, basically a designed scapegoat for a much expected flop, but still...

Oh, and the likes of Capello, Mancini, Guardiola, Leonardo and Ciro Ferrara had very little experience when they got the call from a big club

In recent times it has become more normal hiring/appointing relatively unproven managers with a good background as active players, regardless of their actual experience as managers.

playing as getafe i got the ivory cost job after the african cup of nations. just 6 months into the save and i was set with automatic rep from the start.

didnt make it out fo the world cup group after some shocking own goals and then resigned :-)

I applied for the Brazil job, but Ronaldo got it who failed miserably and got sacked after loosing and drawing friendlies, a loss to Australia his final card. I applied again...who gets it...Rivaldo...now I will watch him fail. Im 'World Class' and play attacking football yet cant get any international jobs. Applied for Scotland, Holland, England, Germany, Mexico, Brazil, Spain, France, France U21 and some others. Only have got the Ivory Coast and Holland U21, got Ivory Coast to the quarter finals of the World Cup and left.

I've got Continental rep and applied for Brazil, Italy, and France but got none of them. Brazil appointed some unknown guy who retired in 1983 and has no management or coaching history. France appointed a guy who only had experience managing in Ligue 2 with no caps. Italy was the only team to appoint a manager with proper experience and reputation.

Then the Russia U19 job opened and I applied and got that one, but that didn't really appeal to me so I resigned before my first match in charge.

Van Basten jumped from Ajax B to the Dutch national team.

Italy hired Donadoni, who at the time had just 50 Serie A games under his belt, and at mid-bottom level of all things...

Of course it was a temporary solution, basically a designed scapegoat for a much expected flop, but still...

Oh, and the likes of Capello, Mancini, Guardiola, Leonardo and Ciro Ferrara had very little experience when they got the call from a big club

In recent times it has become more normal hiring/appointing relatively unproven managers with a good background as active players, regardless of their actual experience as managers.

I think the appointment of van Basten and Donadoni were cases when the history/legendary status of the manager as a result of their playing days has a massive influence.

Archived