Guide a player towards retirement?

I'm managing Liverpool at the moment, I've got Jamie Carragher as a DC and I've already transfered in his replacement on the second season January window and I've given his replacement his shirt number.

Question is, how do I now really drop the hint that I don't plan to let him play first team football again or only have him as a sub. I want to push him into retirement and onto Coaching as his pace has really began to deteriorate and he simply can't keep up with games any more.

Any ideas? :eek:

The best I can think of is change his squad status to back-up (you could try not needed, but that might just annoy him), and release press statements saying you think he would be well-ssuited to coaching.

The fewer games someone plays in a season, the more likely they are to retire, so try not to sub him on just for the sake of it.

Simple - just let him rot in the reserves and don't play him in any first team matches unless you really need him. For someone like Carragher who is very loyal and simply love Liverpool, at most he will put in a slight concern - will like to play in more competitive games and not complain directly to the press. Just ignore the message, like what tom said, if the player don't get enough games and has deteriorated to a certain level that is not good enough for the club, he will eventually decide to retire at a certain date. If you are lucky, you will get your wish at the end of the season.

Don't offer him a new contract. If he's loyal he shouldn't sign a contract with another club. Wait until the season is almost over (I think 1 week before contract expiry). Players in FM10 usually decide to retire on short notice.

Archived