How do you analyse a squad which you are unfamilar with?

I think one of the reasons I very rarely play a game as neither Man Utd or England is that I struggle to get a feel for squads which I don't know. For example, if I very to do a team abroad (apart from the European giants) or a very minor team in England I would not have the first idea about to do go about getting a starting lineup or where to strength and let players go. I am not sure whether base it on simply attributes, coaches reports (although I don't really trust them) or some other factor(s). I suppose it does depend on your tactics, but given that I choose players and then adapt their instructions around them that doesn't really help. How does everyone else get to know squads which they don't know from real life? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I start with small teams, in low divisions. That way, I bring in the players, and get to know them over time. It doesn't take long. And then after a few seasons, you have a great feel for your team. I hate playing as big teams now, I haven't managed Arsenal (the team I support) since FM06, quite simply because I hate starting out with things that are already laid into place for me.

Compare attributes of who can play in each position, and look to see where needs strengthening. When I first join a club, I move everyone into the first team squad, and then move them back into the reserves or u-18's if I decide they're not good enough.

The only advice I take from my assistant is who he thinks is the best player, and who the current captain is. If a player's future is so-so, I'll look at their performances in recent seasons (ie, if they're a striker, have they been scoring) and base it on that as well.

I use search filters which have "show own players" box ticked and then load up my filters for each position. That way I can see who have the skills needed to the way I prefer to play.

Bestie.

I never thought of that, that is a very good idea and I might try in my next game.

Thank for the replies so far guys, I'm really determined to finish a season not playing as Man Utd

There is that side of it. But also that is the chance of making your mark on the club also. Pick a tactic and formation and then start to build the club around that.

When I start a new game (normally of a lower league club) I swap out around 75% of my players anyway.

But in another case, Ass Man reports are the the way forward.

There is that side of it. But also that is the chance of making your mark on the club also. Pick a tactic and formation and then start to build the club around that.

When I start a new game (normally of a lower league club) I swap out around 75% of my players anyway.

But in another case, Ass Man reports are the the way forward.

Not when you have financial constraints of the lower clubs. And who here seriously trusts their Assistant Manager? :p

I will look at the attributes and then see how well they play in friendlies... in the first season I will rearrange my friendlies so that they're all against similar level clubs and give evryone a similar amount of game time.

When i am at a team that i know nothing about, i use the 'Filter button' on the squad screen, and go through the positions 1 by 1 and look at the players attributes for each position.

I.e i first untick all over positions and just tick 'goalkeeper' then after i have looked at my goal keepers, i untick all over positions and just tick 'defender right' ..and so on and so forth.

Then i decide who will be my choice in each position and also if that position needs strengthening etc.

Not when you have financial constraints of the lower clubs.

I was signing players on frees till I was in the Cola League. Some of them I still have, now being one of the top clubs in England. I've learnt to be very strict about purchasing players because of the finances, or lack of, while in the lower leagues.

I never thought of that, that is a very good idea and I might try in my next game.

Thank for the replies so far guys, I'm really determined to finish a season not playing as Man Utd

I actually break each position I use into sections (I'm a nerd! :p).

We know the attributes that are essential for players. This group becomes my "1st Team" filters. Then I have "Top Quality" filters which have more attributes included and finally the "World Class" filters which have all the skills you would love to have for your ideal player. Then I break each group into four options.

First Choice (All stats 15+ or your league's equivalent)

Squad Players (All stats 13+ or your league's level of good enough)

Potential (Youngsters under 23 with stats 11+ that need training)

Developing (Youngsters under 21 with stats 9+ that need training).

This way I can completely break down any squad I have at any time any time I want or need to.

Bestie.

i just look at the stats screens in the squad screen and glimpse over the main attributes. after that i select the best players with main attributes for that position and then i see which ones has the best overall atrributes. i sell the rest of the players.

When I start a new club, I tend to have a clearout but if that's not viable (due to the transfer window closing etc), then I'll simply just put them in order of what they're worth and pick them that way. Bit over-simplified, I know but it saves cherry-picking them through all their attributes.

I move all my players from the reserves and U18's into the first team and put the players into the positions i want them to play using the squad selector buttons, having the 12 reserve buttons helps decide who is your backup players in that position, i like to have a backup for each position plus a spare striker, winger and a defender who i can put on the bench (can play fullback+DC or DM + DC (a decent young backup+ GK is imortant too)) i move the players i don't want back to the reserves and usualy release the ones that i won't get under 500k i usualy judge players on thier attributes but sometimes things like wages need to be taken into consideration too ( i always get rid of dyer and parker from west ham because they earn too much and get injured often) selling these player can give you more money to play with in the tranfer market, when viewing the contracts i will also alter the squad statuses of players to be more realistic with what i expect from them this season, some get upset but its usualy the best time to do it as they get over it quickly, as you can't sell players that have just joined the club you may have to play through the first season with players you don't realy want, so you will end up with holes in the squad selection for positions you need to fill and i will have a look for players and any staff i need before i release any staff as you lose thier country knowledge when you let them go, i try to get the best staff i can at this stage becuase they will hopefully be with me for even longer than some players, theres a few more little bits and peices but this post its too long already and ime assuming you have some knowledge of the game, good luck with your adventures, some of the second tier italian teams are fun (fiorentina, udinese, napoli and sampdoria)

Archived