What makes a good captian and vice captain?

Major factors

- Influence, determination, time spent at club. Also, make sure you check his personality. You generally don't want a controversial or temperamental captain.

Minor factors

- Natural fitness (to ensure your captain is present as often as possible on the pitch), teamwork (duh), has your club among his favoured ones.

^^ All of the above and 'language'. If he's non-native to the club's nation....I have to have him speaking the local language before he's Captain/Vice Captain.

I waited nearly 2 years for my Croatian 'natural leader' (Influence = 18) DC to learn even basic German....as soon he did he slapped in a transfer request. Little Toerag. :D

What difference does the captain make to the team? Is it mainly a cosmetic thing?

No, it has everything to do with your match performance. A poor captain will fail to inspire his team, hence leading to a poor performance and a poor result.

Of course, the severity of its effect varies from game to game, but you'd generally be better off with a good captain.

• 1 month later...

I usually look at, in order:

Influence

Teamwork

Work Rate

Importance to the team

Then, depending on age of the best guys, I'll look at their personality. Some players perform better being captain and is more eager to stay when they're captain, while some just stop being good at all when they're made captain.

Dear All

I have a dilemma. Last year I was in C1/A with Verona, and I had a captain who almost played all the matches. Now I am in Serie B, and I am noticing that he is quite slow for playing in Serie B, he is 33 and I am preferring another 2 defenders instead of him. However he is still club captain. Should I leave him as captain not playing, or should I promote the vice-captain. Another thing is that i have made some better aquisitions where the vice-captain is playing and he is not a regular anymore! So basically the captain is not playing anymore, and the vice is not a regular.

Can you guys advice me what I should do?

Thanks

Influence, determination and experience. Also loyalty, and I want my captain to have been at the club for some years :).

jmonfu

I'd leave him as captain, and then when he retires you can change. If he has been at the club for a long time, and been captain for a long time, then some players may get unhappy if you replace him. Hope I helped :).

Thanks mate.

So will he still hold player meetings and all?

I see it a bit awkward though having a club captain on the reserves bench. Having said that, I do not think a lot of players who have been at the club for more than 3 years would be suitable for captain

If he is well respected among the squad and have high influence he should hold meetings, because then it's a bigger chance that the meetings work out well. I'm managing Ajax now, and I made Suarez arrange a meeting and it failed :p.

If you have bought anyone with good captain skills, though you could promote him and make your old captain vice-captain for a year or so, and the replace him there too ;).

ok so I will try and get him to hold a meeting and see how it goes. If it fails, then I will promote someone else. Cannot afford to have a bad meeting though, already in dire straits, 4 losses in the first 5 games. Serie B is though :)

I checked him out in the editor, and he has some good mental stats. His determination is good (15) and his influence is okay (13). These might have changed, since I don't know how many seasons in you are, but he looks okay. If you have better, I'd replace him though :p.

Archived