Walk to success with the diamond?

Anybody having the experience (am playing in a multiplay against 2 average teams using the diamond) that this formation strolls to success a lot more easily than others? The AI seems to make absolutely no allowance for the fact that there are 6 players playing through the centre.

Yeah lots of people play with the default and create tactics around the diamond formation on this FM.

The diamond formation does seem very succesful on FM10, nothing to do with the way Chelsea were playing and winning when the game was released... ;)

Personaly i hate wingerless formations, i prefer a nice 4-5-1 formation! With a def mid/normal mid/attacking mid and 2 wide wingers. But it is not as succesful as the diamond on this FM i must admit.

I used the diamond until patch 10.1. My AMC often split the opponent centre backs and scored so many one on ones that he was one of my top scorers.

Once I patched to 10.2 it stopped working of course. After being owned by Genoa countless times and seeing how they always seem to overperform, I figured they must be on to something with their 3 striker tactic so I tried a flat 4-3-3 and ended up being runaway league winners for 3 seasons in a row with Parma.

I firmly believe that 4-1-2-1-2 is the best formation in the game (for me at least, other people use different tactics and that)

I just lead Leeds to their first Premiership title using that formation and I've used it since League One and found it's really good

I stumbled on to the 4-1-2-1-2 while trying to counter Chelsea (ripping me apart at the time).

My team started playing amazing football so I stuck with it.

Also realized I wasn't getting as frustrated as I do when I have two wingers on the pitch. A lot less crossing into the fullbacks.

I'm confused as some people are saying 4-1-2-1-2 and some are saying diamond and some narrow diamond. But which one is the supposed "super" tactic.

I used 4-1-2-1-2 on my At. Madrid save and i just missed out on the league to Barcelona(they lost 1 game - to me) and it was very successful! Like some have said i ended up with Raul Garcia being up with my top scorers from AMC. And again it seems to concede a heck of a lot of goals but if you score more you win more ;). I think that was in 10.1. I have since discontinued the save and haven't tried 4-1-2-1-2 since

I'm confused as some people are saying 4-1-2-1-2 and some are saying diamond and some narrow diamond. But which one is the supposed "super" tactic.

I used 4-1-2-1-2 on my At. Madrid save and i just missed out on the league to Barcelona(they lost 1 game - to me) and it was very successful! Like some have said i ended up with Raul Garcia being up with my top scorers from AMC. And again it seems to concede a heck of a lot of goals but if you score more you win more ;). I think that was in 10.1. I have since discontinued the save and haven't tried 4-1-2-1-2 since

The narrow one :)

I play 4-3-1-2 - I slightly modified the 4-1-2-1 formation to incorporate C.Ronaldo on the right, as an Attacking Inside Forward.

Last season he scored 25 goals and 21 assists from that position and the only teams I struggle against are those who play 3-4-3

I found it useful against almost all teams but those that play a very wide 4-5-1 (I use standard 4-4-2 against that). It simply can't do well against it, the midfield gets to congested, no matter the width you set between your players. And I've noticed it does wonders against 4-4-2 and a very defensive 3-5-2 formations.

I used an immmense counter attacking 4-2-3-1 with 2 normal midfielders, a trequartista and 2 attacking wingers and a lone strikers with my near unbeatable dortmund team. It does help when Kaka is your trequartista and Dzeko is the lone striker though.

Ideal formation i achieved attacking-wise with R.Madrid was similiar 4-2-3-1, but had Kaka as trequartista, Ronaldo on the left as inside forward and Messi on the right as inside forward with D. Villa as striker. Jipped on everyone in the league

Yeah lots of people play with the default and create tactics around the diamond formation on this FM.

The diamond formation does seem very succesful on FM10, nothing to do with the way Chelsea were playing and winning when the game was released... ;)

Personaly i hate wingerless formations, i prefer a nice 4-5-1 formation! With a def mid/normal mid/attacking mid and 2 wide wingers. But it is not as succesful as the diamond on this FM i must admit.

I agree with 4-5-1, having players such as McGeady and Lanzafame on the wing is vital for me but thats me, 4-1-2-1-2 may work well for others with other teams

Archived