Now, that is odd...

So I am playing in Brazil, there are those State Championships which are very characteristic, where teams from the same state/province play each other in the beggining of the season to be crowned State Champions. It´s kind of a tradition so they´re well valued by the fans, etc. etc. etc.

I am currently managing Grêmio and they´re bitter rivals with city neighbours Internacional - possibly the fiercest rivalry in Brazil - e.g. Santa Claus in Gremio fan houses wear blue, due to red being Internacional´s colour.

Anyway, it´s my second season, and the rules are: the championship has two stages, teams are divided in two groups in each stage, then the top 4 from each group qualify for quarterfinals.

I found it strange that in my first year, two times when I reached the semifinals of each stage, I was drawn to play Internacional, and said, ok, that´s bad luck - not supposed to get the most difficult opposition twice with a 33.3% chance. Ended up losing one, ended up winning the other, and eventually won the Championship against them in the finals (winner of the Opening Stage against winner of the Closing Stage).

Now, this is funny. My second year in charge and I beat a team in the Opening Stage quarterfinals just to learn that I´ve been drawn against Internacional.

So - out of 3 times where I had a 33.3% chance of facing the most difficult opposition, the game drawn it 3 times against me.

This post is not about whining, but to make sure a very unusual situation doesn´t go unnoticed. Let´s see what happens in the 4th time.

Indeed, very strange.

Cheers,

Tele

Not exactly the same thing but I've found that when I've drawn teams in cups in both england and russia I'm often playing the sam opposition in the next league match. I thought it was odd the first time but its happen 6 or 7 times now. I've got ManUre 3 games in a row thanks to the league cup semis.

So - out of 3 times where I had a 33.3% chance of facing the most difficult opposition, the game drawn it 3 times against me.

This post is not about whining, but to make sure a very unusual situation doesn´t go unnoticed. Let´s see what happens in the 4th time.

Indeed, very strange.

Cheers,

Tele

(1/3)^3 = 1/27 = 3.7%. Small chance, but not completely bonkers.

I do get/see a lot of MunkD's situation happening.

I´ll follow up when closing stage draw comes :-).

At 3.7%, it is already a very very unlikely 'coincidence' - especially when it is your fierce rival and best possible opposition...

Btw, the situation you described MunkD, happened to me in this very save (not 6-7 times, but in my first season already, keeping in mind I´m just starting my second season). Indeed odd.

So cheers to the oddities!

That 3.7% is correct overall but however. Each time theres a draw it will be 33% so therefore for one draw in which you get Internacional, doesnt mean the next time will be more likely you'll avoid them. Obviously, statistically on average the percentage is correct however you aren't guranteed and not owed or due to be drawn againt other opposition. The reason you posted on here was because you found it odd that Internacional kept coming up. However to the other 96.3% the draw would just be another normal draw with no coincidences involved and therefore would'nt post anything at all! So, even if this is happening to you, on average across everyone elses games this is unlikely to happen. Just enjoy the thrill of beating your rival :p

4 seasons as manager of FC Porto. In all 4 seasons I faced Real Madrid in the CL knockout stages (kinda like Chelsea v Liverpool...)

Went through in all 4 occasions. :D (1-0 agg win, twice on away goals and once on pens). Hope to get them in my 5th season. :D

Actually,

It turned out to be very annoying.

Yes, I was drawn against Internacional for the 4th time in a row!!!!

I´m on patch 10.2, etc.

Either this is a clear bug, or it is just careless programming, I don´t know.

The point is: despite all the positivity, I want to be able to face Internacional at the final of a stage, not before. I can face them before once in a while, but 4 times out of 4 is absolutely ridiculous.

We have the best teams in the competition, so I believe even the fans wouldn´t like it to happen all the time.

By the way, it is not 3.7% anymore. Any good mathematician wants to take a guess?

Geez, that´s plain awful and very frustrating from a dedicated gamer point of view.

Actually,

It turned out to be very annoying.

Yes, I was drawn against Internacional for the 4th time in a row!!!!

I´m on patch 10.2, etc.

Either this is a clear bug, or it is just careless programming, I don´t know.

The point is: despite all the positivity, I want to be able to face Internacional at the final of a stage, not before. I can face them before once in a while, but 4 times out of 4 is absolutely ridiculous.

We have the best teams in the competition, so I believe even the fans wouldn´t like it to happen all the time.

By the way, it is not 3.7% anymore. Any good mathematician wants to take a guess?

Geez, that´s plain awful and very frustrating from a dedicated gamer point of view.

Make it five in a row. Another season, another time I am drawn against Internacional in a semifinal. Could anyone from SI let me know if there´s a reason for that?

I even thought to myself - well, maybe there´s a rule that two powerhouses are required to meet before the final of the stage in an "overall club development effort" kind of rationale, as dumb as it is.

Well. There´s not. I researched on RSSSF (rsssfbrasil-dot-com) and according to the formula, the two group winners meet only at the final.

So, it´s not just a question of a draw that repeats itself. It´s worse than that. It is a careless way of programming this championship.

Is it because not many people would be playing the Brazil State Championships and thus be attentive enough? Whatever it is, I´m pretty disappointed with these "would be little" issues that keep coming at us players.

I am on patch 10.2 and had before endured quite a bit of idiotic bullying from SI die-hard fans who cannot deal with direct criticism thrown at their programming idols. I´ve got news for these guys. I am as entitled to like the game as they are (possibly more than many of them) but that doesn´t mean I´d be required by buying it to accept its flaws quietly.

Now I have this situation going all which is utterly ridiculous and even though I won 4 out of 5 times my gaming experience was again jeopardized by what I perceived as being an unrealistic draw routine but now I understand it is ignoring the formula rules of IRL championships.

Other than that, off-topic but related to what I mentioned I am on patch 10.2 and I am still required to play 7 matches in 14 days. I also tried to find a similar situation in Brazilian football in the last 10 years that mimicked it, and guess what: I couldn´t.

In 3 seasons at Southampton i've had 3 teams twice:

Southampton 2 - 0 Hull (League Cup 3rd round - 2009/10)

Hull 3 - 1 Southampton (FA Cup 4th round - 2009/10)

Southampton 5 - 0 Brentford (League Cup 1st round - 2009/10)

Southampton 6 - 0 Brentford (FA Cup 3rd round - 2011/12)

Southampton 0 - 2 Man City (League Cup 3rd round - 2010/11)

Man City 6 - 1 Southampton (League Cup 5th round - 2011/12)

Not too bad. I'd appreciate avoiding Man City in either cup from now on though haha.

Misodoctakleidist,

Yes, they did. Aside from Gremio, which I manage, and Internacional, city rivals, the only team able to compete on a regular basis with them when in a high form in this State League is Juventude. Once every 10 years a team manages to do something, but it is really rare.

This Championship is usually a dispute between the two of them. A lot different form the Brazilian League, where there are usually 4-6 competitive teams which year and they vary a lot. But in terms of State Championships, in Rio Grande do Sul, it´s like that: two giants, a low-to-middle team and the rest of the pack miles away.

Very very frustrating that the game doesn´t replicate the rivalry as it should, with both teams reaching the final of the stages and then playing for local glory.

first season i got chelsea in 4th round of league and fa cup

second season got chelsea in 3rd round of league cup and 4th round of fa cup

then so far got chelsea in 4th round of league cup

will wait and see when i get them in fa cup

would understand more if i drew them sometimes in the latter stages but not first few rounds

Archived