How To Solve A Problem Like Cardiff.

Hi guys. Just a general rant that you've probably read a few times. Just need to get a few things out of my system. This has got to be the most frustrating version of FM when it goes wrong. I've played Cardiff 10 times now using a variety of tactics, and logical thinking in terms of substitutions and changing tactics in game. I've noticed a few trends.

1 - I created a minimum of 6 CCC's in each game. The highest I've scored is 2. I have the two top scorers in the league in my team.

2 - Cardiff have scored in the last 5 minutes of the game 6 times - out of 10.

3 - Motivation seems to play no part at all in the outcome of matches. Nearly all of my team are playing with confidence/looking motivated/fired-up whilst Cardiff are just playing ok.

4 - The goals I concede are nearly all from corners where illogical scenario's happen, like a player with 9 for jumping beats a guy in the air who has 15 for jumping and is superior in all physical and important mental attributes. Some even take a touch at the front post before turning and scoring.

5 - The most the opposition has ever had in terms of shots on target is 3.

6 - The chances they get are from mistakes of my defenders giving the ball away in strange areas, or clearing behind for a corner under no pressure from 20 yards out.

7 - I have had 4 goals rules out for a foul/offside and after the game the FA stays silent about my criticism meaning it was incorrectly ruled out.

Out of the 10 games I played I won 1, drew 5, and lost 4. This got me thinking about the old 'is FM cheating' chestnut. My personal conclusion based on the above is that it is it is. Feel free to disagree/comment/shoot me down in flames.

Me too. But I think that it's worth posting about. I never re play a game. It's only because we had a power cut that I had to re play this game and I noticed that very very similar things had happened. So I decided to do this experiment and was abit shocked at the results.

Because you haven't mentioned any formation changes, any changes to your team-talks.

These things are just as important.

Did you change tactics during the match? Did you match their changes? Did you pick your squad based on morale and form?

You obviously haven't read my opening post where I say

"I've played Cardiff 10 times now using a variety of tactics, and logical thinking in terms of substitutions and changing tactics in game."

I picked my first 11 based on form (all pretty high as I'm top of the league), Morale (again high), and fitness (most 100%, no one less than 96%). I changed my team talk from expecting a result, to telling them to do it for the fans, relax and enjoy the game and that they can win. I played with a 4-4-2 in attacking, balanced, and defensive, and tried a 4-1-3-2, 4-3-3. Still getting similar results.

Funnily enough I've just replayed the match and won 3-1, having only 2 CCC's and the opposition had 5. Maybe it knows when I'm moaning on the forums and that's how to win!

We all have bogey teams. I’ve lost 9 out of the last 10 encounters with Everton, one which was the FA Cup Final. People might say it’s my tactics, others just say it’s bad luck, it’s just a matter of opinion on this subject. Perhaps if you did it for a few more games, and took screenshots, SI might have a look at it, but, with no offence to you, making changes over 10 games isn’t really likely. By the way, how did you go against them?

The very last game I won 3-1. It just seemed strange that no matter what approach I took I would keep getting similar results that's all. Has anyone else experienced it. I know the forum is full of people complaining of superkeepers etc. I was doubtful too until I replayed these games.

Interesting experiment. I suppose the Match Engine is, ultimately, a bunch of Maths, with a load of occurences and circumstances altering the equation to change the result. When did you restart the game before playing? Was it the morning before the match? Fifteen minutes before kick off? I'm not sure, but maybe by 2.45 on the Saturday, the maths has been mostly done, so all of the possible occurences are limited? I don't know, just a theory...

Archived