Is conceding long range strikes...

Agility = what it syas on the tin really

Positioning = will he be in the right place so as to reach the shot

Theoretically that's what I would look for but to be honest I have difficulty separating goalkeepers whether they are AI managed or not. I've seen keepers with agility in single figures make ridiculous leaping saves and keepers with top quality attributes fail to save a shot that seems to go right through them.

I'd guess Anticipation and Acceleration should have an effect (no idea if they do or not though). Positioning is certainly important, but if someone unleashes a shot out of the blue then the goalkeeper will often be out of position so it all comes down to how fast he reacts and moves to intercept the shot.

Conceding from long strikes is about more than just your keeper though. Generally the more space a player has around him and the better the angle of goal he has available to shoot into then the more likely he will be successful. So if you freeze long shot goals in the replay just before the player strikes then visualise lines extending from that player towards the goal then the more of the goal available to aim for the better. You need to try to set up to prevent this happening as much as possible.

Weaker foot also has an effect so pushing central midfielders onto their weaker foot can make it less likely that they will score a screamer. But you need to have other things set right so that the defending players are in a good enough position so that they can impose this particular opposition instruction on the player.

Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Conceding from long strikes is about more than just your keeper though. Generally the more space a player has around him and the better the angle of goal he has available to shoot into then the more likely he will be successful. So if you freeze long shot goals in the replay just before the player strikes then visualise lines extending from that player towards the goal then the more of the goal available to aim for the better. You need to try to set up to prevent this happening as much as possible.

Weaker foot also has an effect so pushing central midfielders onto their weaker foot can make it less likely that they will score a screamer. But you need to have other things set right so that the defending players are in a good enough position so that they can impose this particular opposition instruction on the player.

Exactly right. you need to CLOSE DOWN oppo players with long-range ability - I always have oppo STRs and AMCs closed down in the OIs.

Conceding long-range shots is more to do with your team's closing down settings.

For a more detailed discussion it's probably better moving over to the tactics forum, but I've been very successful with setting my team to only close down in the penalty area (stops AMCs skinning my DCs), with my DM set to close down "in own half", full backs to close down "always". In opposition instructions I close down "rarely" any very skillful players (Messi, Ronaldo, etc) which means my players stand off and don't dive in, negating the "always" instruction for my full backs so they don't get skinned constantly, and makes the opposition pass rather than shoot or cross. I have a few other settings but probably better not going into it here.

Archived