Can we either have sensible press conferences or bin them all together?

How, in the name of all thats holy does:

"I think there was a case for allowing it"

Translate into me "reacting badly" and getting a warning from the FA?

Why does the game not accurately portray what your response will be? If its going for a "press twisting the facts" angle, where is the option to explain yourself? Its ridiculous that you can get warned or banned, or have players become unhappy because you can`t tell what you are actually saying.

this is one of my main gripes with press conferences. i tend to ignore them altogether now for a few reasons, mainly because they are repetitive and also because of the point above. im sure i will be told that i get misquoted because the media today misquotes but i feel that the way the game turns one comment into another is very unrealistic. i have for examlpe told the media that i thought we had a chance in a game, only to be told that players were unhappy because i had told the media i could definitely win a game against a club much bigger than us. its just bizzare.

The main problem with the press conferences was displayed in three matches I played.

In two of them Corby kicked three players off the park - in reality as a manager I may have pointed out the thuggish nature of my opponents.

In the other match an opposing striker went down four times, on each occasion the commentary said it looked like a dive. This caused three of my defenders to be booked, once again this would surely come up in the post match conference ?

My personal favourite WTF?!?!? moment was when my team got a dubious penalty.

The question was along the lines of

"The penalty decision looked dubious.Do you think preston can feel hard done by?"

I responded with:

"These things happen in football"

To find that this had made three of my players unhappy because I was "praising the opposition"

How?

I think they should just get rid of them. i preffered how it was before with questions even though that really wasn't that great either. I know sometimes you get press conferences before games buts thats normally derbys(real big ones) or champions league.. i'm sure you SAF doesn't do them when playing Havant & waterlooville.(sp?)

The only place i see them as good for is maybe signings... or when you are hired as a manager. Otherwise its mainly PR stuff for MOTD after the game... Not Press conferences. Get rid. They are boring, pointless and don't actually add much at all.. if someone out there would actually never play this game again because press conferences are removed then they need to get their head checked!

I think they should just get rid of them. i preffered how it was before with questions even though that really wasn't that great either. I know sometimes you get press conferences before games buts thats normally derbys(real big ones) or champions league.. i'm sure you SAF doesn't do them when playing Havant & waterlooville.(sp?)

The only place i see them as good for is maybe signings... or when you are hired as a manager. Otherwise its mainly PR stuff for MOTD after the game... Not Press conferences. Get rid. They are boring, pointless and don't actually add much at all.. if someone out there would actually never play this game again because press conferences are removed then they need to get their head checked!

I assure you press conferences in real life are done before every match. It's more a case of the media will only report them if the game is important or if something juicy has been said.

Well i know its a sim but its not fun... its like making us walk between shots on Tiger Woods PGA tour and waving to the crowd. Nobody would want to have to do it for real they just want to take the shots!

Yeah but it influences how your team plays. Like picking the club not walking to the crowd.

i didn't say walk to the crowd. Anyway, i don't see how it(press conferences) is better then the system on FM08 and previous(1 question before the game). The annoying thing for me is i feel like i'm forced to do them because sending your ass man can end with horrendous circumstances

Yeah the press confrences can suck! When i ever have a question about a Referee decision i just click the middle answer, but its anoyying when they ask you the same question about 5 more times in a row.

'The public will want to hear a proper answer from you!' grrrr!

But i suppose Rafa Benitez felt the same yesterday, when the interviewer kept asking him if he felt it was a penatly or not. :D

Press conferences are a repetitive waste of time. I give credit to SI for trying, but they're just an inconvenience. One thing that I find annoying is that when I can't be bothered attending (usually near the end of the season), the assistant always says something stupid like that Manchester United are favourites for the title when I'm playing as Manchester City.

Also, some of the reactions are just bizarre; for example when I say who will win world player of the year the squad always reacts positively, even when that player has nothing to do with the team. Or how about when you claim to have no interest in signing a player and the squad reacts badly - shouldn't there be a postive reaction because there's no threat of a new player coming in and taking their place?

I dunno, they're just kind of stupid to me. Either make it more diverse and interesting or get rid of it altogether.

When you get "The public will want to hear a proper answer" thing, just click the non-committal response again and tick "The allotted time is up" box. In my experience, nothing bad ever comes from calling an end to the press conference. In fact, as soon as the option comes up, it's probably best to tick it and get out of there.

When I first used it I was worried it was hardwired to upset half the team for some idiotic reason, but nothing seems to happen.

I agree with the op, though. If they don't work sensibly or are insufficiently "intelligent" they are mere baubles. Unneccesary irritants that, from an end-user perspective, are there merely to annoy.

yep, i agree. press conferences are too tedious to be in the game. maybe if they were made simpler or quicker and more interesting then keep them. but it would need a complete rehaul.
back to the odd press question in your inbox i think.

What Edle said aside the "odd" bit.

The one question could be very unrealistic compared to Press Conferences, but the thing is despite being unrealistic it did the exact same job with being more precise in how affects your team, much less questions (less time you take to answer them) and it is quicker to reply and move on.

The Key here is fun and Press Conferences despite being realistic are not fun no matter how much it is developed. Even in real life Press Conferences are boring and have no fun in them.

I personally when match is over I quickly change channel. It is the most boring thing that was created in football and what is the fun in that on a game?

I think they should scrap them. They are such a boring chore. Twice a game for every game is far too much.

I dont think real players would careless what the manager said in them unless he singled out a player and publically criticised them kind of like how harry rednapp did with darren bent.

What player is really going to get upset wether you thought it was a penalty or not or if they didnt agree with who you thought will win player of the year.

I let crazy-Sam (Sammy Lee) handle the press conferences. I can't be bothered doing it myself, playing 2-3 matches a week, those 5-10 questions quickly gets tedious and super boring.

Because of Sammy not being that good at handing the media, I sometime get players being less happy about his handling of questions, but hey, thats fine as long as I don't have to answer the questions myself.. :)

I let crazy-Sam (Sammy Lee) handle the press conferences. I can't be bothered doing it myself, playing 2-3 matches a week, those 5-10 questions quickly gets tedious and super boring.

Because of Sammy not being that good at handing the media, I sometime get players being less happy about his handling of questions, but hey, thats fine as long as I don't have to answer the questions myself.. :)

+1

I always assistmant manager them

Archived