Quick question about Reputation

It can definitely go down, usually when you are losing too much, and probably after getting sacked.

On your first question, I think that current reputation has different meaning in other countries. So a national reputation in Slovenia(eg) is probably regional in England(eg). Or a continental reputation in India(eg) is equal to national reputation in Spain(eg)

• 6 months later...

I just realized in my game, after immediately being linked with an MLS job (?!), that my reputation started at National. I always heard, and saw first-hand in FM 2008, that an Automatic past-experience will set your reputation at rock bottom if used while starting unemployed, which is exactly how I started for the sake of realism. I even started a test game as Sunday League Footballer, and still I get a National reputation.

Unfortunately, this explains why FM 2010 has been so much easier to get jobs than I remember from 2008... but surely this can't be by design? We really can't start as anything less than a nationally-known manager?

I just realized in my game, after immediately being linked with an MLS job (?!), that my reputation started at National. I always heard, and saw first-hand in FM 2008, that an Automatic past-experience will set your reputation at rock bottom if used while starting unemployed, which is exactly how I started for the sake of realism. I even started a test game as Sunday League Footballer, and still I get a National reputation.

Unfortunately, this explains why FM 2010 has been so much easier to get jobs than I remember from 2008... but surely this can't be by design? We really can't start as anything less than a nationally-known manager?

I seem to remember there being a problem with starting unemployed and choosing automatic reputation, it seemed to give you a much higher reputation that it used to.

What leagues did you select when you tried starting as a Sunday league footballer? I've just tried loading just the English leagues and starting unemployed with Sunday league reputation and I got the unproven reputation.

I seem to remember there being a problem with starting unemployed and choosing automatic reputation, it seemed to give you a much higher reputation that it used to.

What leagues did you select when you tried starting as a Sunday league footballer? I've just tried loading just the English leagues and starting unemployed with Sunday league reputation and I got the unproven reputation.

For the Sunday League test, I had (my typical setup) all leagues from: USA, Ireland, England, Germany, Sweden, Australia, and Spain.

American manager, age in late 20's, started unemployed with USA start date (January 2009), zero edited data except real competition names.

Same setup for both cases, Auto and Sunday League.

I just tested it myself, and I don't know. I think there's something more quirky going on. I started the game as Irish, and still got a National reputation. Then I started as English, and got Continental. Then I tried to give them both a shot as a Sunday Leaguer, and now it's grayed out. I have to pick Semi-Pro or better, regardless of nationality. I even cleared the user profile menu, and started a manager from scratch, but still nothing.

The reason you get National rep in America is that selecting automatic experience gives you the lowest experience that will get you a job in your country. As America only has 13 teams, and I believe most if not all have Continental reputation, it won't give you lower than National because you will never be able to get a job in America. This is my understanding of it but reputation still confuses me.

I recently started a new game as unemployed manager, applied for any job in the top 2 divisions of Portugal (Portuguese Nationality) but get repeatedly rejected from struggling second division sides. Then out of nowhere Porto offer me the job after Jesualdo Ferrerira retired, still can't work that one out.

Theres 3 reputation ratings

Current - How well known you are in the nation you currently manage in. (which I think is displayed in your profile)

Home - How well known you are in your home Nation.

World - kinda obvious really ...

Thre was a discussion a few years back on how the game seems to use them, if i remember it correctly .....

World Rep usually has the lowest value, Home Rep usually has the highest value.

If your applying outside your Home Rep area, you normally unknown so you start with a base Current Rep = World Rep

Did you have all the divisions loaded? Usually it greys out the options when they are not applicable to the leagues that have been loaded, although I do have a vague recollection of this problem occuring before.

Yeah, you're right. I only had MLS selected for the sake of speed. I added England, and it's good now.

AUS104, that actually sounds like a good explanation for Automatic. However, it still gives a National reputation with Sunday Leaguer selected. I've done a handful of tests just now, and the only one that worked was starting in England with English nationality, and Sunday League experience. Every other combination leads to an illogically high reputation.

Archived